Almost rooted...

Last Updated:

1. vonfeldt7

vonfeldt7 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

*EDIT* Okay I've gotten everything done except for the last few commands in cmd...

When I do "ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su" It says permission denied.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

run the unrevoked recovery tool and u can get adb shell everytime

3. vonfeldt7

No I can usually get into recovery with adb running, my problem is that I can make root persistent. Any ideas?

4. vonfeldt7

*EDIT* Okay, not sure if anyone else is having this problem (I know at least one user over at XDA is, so hopefully this will help someone).

I'm not sure why this works, my guess is that perhaps system/xbin/ was being read and because of that it wouldn't allow me to write su to it (from system/bin/). Maybe I'm way off, but either way, this did fix my problem(s):

After following the instructions for rooting as far as possible, have the command "ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su" in cmd but don't press enter yet. On the phone, select "Reboot" and right after selecting reboot press enter on cmd. Press the up arrow key and press enter again (and repeat multiple times until the phone reboots). You may even want to make a .bat file for this.. If all went well, you saw something similar to:
    Code (Text):
    1. # ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
    2. ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
    3. ln: /system/xbin/su: Permission denied
    4. ln: /system/xbin/su: Permission denied
    5. ln: /system/xbin/su: Permission denied
    6. ln: /system/xbin/su: Permission denied
    7. ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
    8. ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
    9. ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
    As you can see, right before the phone reboots it accepts the "
    ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su" command. Unfortunately, you have to do the same
    thing with the last command, "chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su". You have to get adb to recognize
    your phone in recovery (again) by following one of the tutorials/10 min video tutorial and follow
    the same steps as before.

Concise:
    Follow your choice of tutorial for rooting phone up until "ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su"
    Follow my terrible instructions for getting phone to accept the above command.
    Again get adb to recognize your phone in recovery. (Including applying update.zip again).
    Follow my terrible instructions for getting phone to accept the "chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su" command
    Reboot.