*ALMOST* Tethered my DInc today ... $25/month! Huh?General

Last Updated:

1. kjarrett

kjarrett Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so I knew this was POSSIBLE easily with the DInc but I got everything all set up using the CD and was able to go online ... was brought to a VZW page telling me I needed to subscribe for $25/month ($5 off the regular monthly cost) for 5gb of download data a month. Does this sound right? I thought we could tether and use our "unlimited" data plan (which sounds like it's going away soon anyway given AT&T's recent announcement...)

Thanks, kj

Advertisement
  2. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

PDAnet, one time fee, unlimited dl

3. kjarrett

Thanks! Downloading now. I knew about it but didn't think it was necessary...since the DInc has it 'built in' ... :/

4. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

NP, that's the catch though with Verizon, if it comes out of the box equipped to do something expect them to charge you for it ;)

5. jayhammy

jayhammy Active Member

PDA net works great on mac and PC. But I can only get it to work via USB, not bluetooth, on the Mac. Plus, I get a full 2mbps up and around 1 mbps down.

6. spacebratt

spacebratt Active Member

I never did the bluetooth to work on my MAC for tethering but I am ok with the USB. and the speeds are great.

7. Yaksha

Yaksha Well-Known Member

8. Crashumbc

Crashumbc Well-Known Member

Keep in mind apps like PDAnet allow you to tether, BUT by doing so you are breaking the TOS with Verizon and if they found out or decided they cared they could cut your service off or charge you extra fee's..

The ONLY Verizon approved method of tethering is using Broadband connect(and paying them 25$ a month)

The being said, I use PDAnet occasionally :p

Just keep in mind the possible risks...

9. cwa107

cwa107 Well-Known Member

I was able to get it working via Bluetooth on 10.6.3. I did have to re-pair it though. Originally, it wasn't seen as having 'modem' capability according to OS X. But with PDANet client running on the Inc, it did pair correctly.

10. cwa107

cwa107 Well-Known Member

I would imagine you'd only raise eyebrows if you were pulling down a ton of data. With that said, it's probably not a great idea to use it constantly.

My understanding is that the $25 subscription can be canceled anytime. So, if you only intend to use it occasionally (like on vacation to a place that doesn't have broadband) you could just subscribe and then cancel it when you're done. Relatively speaking, $25 isn't bad for a full month of broadband access, but it *is* irritating that you can't just take advantage of capabilities that are clearly there out of the box. And to make matters worse, there's a 5GB cap for "doing the right thing". :mad:

11. morganpants

morganpants Well-Known Member

there is a 5 gig cap even without tethering, if u browsed 5 gigs of data with phone 3g data then u will know with the slow speeds afterwards. a friend has the "UNLIMITED" data smartphone plan but it isn't really "UNLIMITED" as a verizon rep said it's soft capped at 5 gigs a month and then reduced speeds after 5 gigs.

12. keving

keving Well-Known Member

I used Easy Teather last night for the 1st time, and it worked great.
    Home internet was down, and it did the job.

Any know issues with this ap? It was Free!!!

jj3699 likes this.
  13. TokedUp

TokedUp Well-Known Member

PDANET!!!!!!!!!!!!! nuff said

14. airgamer21

airgamer21 New Member

Easy Teather hands down beats PDAnet. Easy Teather you can play your ps3, xbox 360, etc. plus works better and cheaper...

15. spacebratt

spacebratt Active Member

Great i did not try that with pdanet but i have now and it works

Thanks

16. SingJsong

SingJsong Well-Known Member

Can anyone else give some truth to that?

17. adamhalliwell

adamhalliwell Active Member

It's been reported by numerous people that they don't enforce any limits for any data you use ON YOUR PHONE. I have personally gone over 5gb... nothing happens, no extra charges.

18. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

i use pdanet to tether usb and bluetooth..

Plus it was on-sale for $18.00

I have tethered with sprint and att and i am sure i have gone over my 5gb limit many times.. I was never charged.

For your health.

19. kjarrett

Am I reading this right? PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android says the only difference between the pay and free versions is the free one blocks secure websites ... which would be a PITA but not a deal breaker for me personally.

-kj-

20. boilator

boilator Active Member

FYI,

If you connect through a VPN, the secure site restriction is mute point. I have the unpaid version and VPN into work, then browse secure sites and it works just fine.

Lator

21. Mark_Venture

Mark_Venture Member

It can be added/removed at any time. And its PRORATED... So subscribe for only half a month and cancel, and you'll be billed for $12.50 instead of $25. :D

22. thelastdraco

thelastdraco Well-Known Member

if you don't absolutely need it right now, just wait for root then you can tether for free! or you can wait for the 2.2 update (but that depends on whether or not verizon will allow native tethering)

23. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

You can tether now, for free, without any additional software, without any secure site blocking people!

Just read here, it's simple, really really simple; like a 2 minute set-up.

No rooting, no money, no software, no 5GB cap! Just plug in and go! Don't make it more difficult than it needs to be!

NightAngel79 and adamhalliwell like this.
  24. Bing

Bing Well-Known Member

In summery, this is how I understand it:

PDAnet - free version allows non-secure connections, works on PC & MAC and can use Bluetooth [pro version is $29, only difference is it allows secure connections (https://)]
    [​IMG]

EasyTether - free version allows non-secure connections, works on PC only, but supports Wii, Xbox360 and PS3 connections as well [pro version is $10, only difference is it allows secure connections (https://)]
    [​IMG]

jj3699 likes this.