Alot Of Help Needed!Support

Last Updated:

1. badassballer

badassballer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I just got a samsung galaxy phone thinking that the firmware could be updated OTA like other devices etc - but found out that it can't be done - so i've been coming to this site (and finally decided to join up today) and seeing at how the firmware can be updated - now from what i understand NPS is required (and 1 came in the box with the galaxy i bought) - i tried to use that but it didnt work at all - it kept telling me device not supported (even for updates) - so i downloaded the UK NPS (that has been mentioned on this site) and with that..when i connected my phone this time - it said "update supported" but when i go to update...it says update does not support my phones software? What version of NPS do i require to update my phone?? and how do i update the firmware??

My phones details are as follows:

PDA: I7500JVII1

Phone: I7500JVII1

CSC: I7500PAKIJ1

Any help will be much appreciated

Advertisement
  2. ryko

ryko Well-Known Member

3. badassballer

I did read up in that section - could not find anything that could help which prompted me to make the post here - i know the NPS does not work very well, but from whatever all i've read on this site thus far made it seem like the only thing off the NPS that does work with the galaxy is the update option - but like i mentioned, i tried it on the cd i got with the phone, did not work and then i downloaded the latest UK Nps and it still did not work - the phone is unlocked and i bought it here in Pakistan - Open Market etc -

4. Kouske

Kouske Well-Known Member

You should consider flashing the phone with Odin to a newer version (you can find instructions on how to flash with Odin in the tutorials thread).

5. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

I'll sumarize for you what you probably want to know:

- The NPS in the box is useless. It won't update your phone regardless of what you do. Download the latest NPS from the UK site to update your phone
    - NPS will look at your region. This is split into two sections, the firmware region, and the operator customisation. For your version it is as follows:

The PDA version is the actual firmware in the phone. I7500JVII1 breaks down as below:
    I7500 = phone model
    JVI = region
    II1 = firmware version

THE CSC version is the OPERATOR customisations. These are addons like the wallpaper for your operator eg t-mobile etc.
    CSC: I7500PAKIJ1

I7500 = phone model
    PAK = Operator
    IJ1 = CSC version

The PDA version is the actual firmware and what is important. You're firmware is version I1. It is coded as A = january, B = Feburary etc and the number is the build number. So this is September - build1.

The CSC version isnt that important, and unless there is something specific you need like a local keyboard (chinese, russian etc) you dont need the CSC.

NPS will look at the CSC version to figure out what operator you have. It will then lookup in its database what the latest version that operator has tested and allows you to install. If it finds a newer version it will install it on your phone.

The latest firmware right now is K5 (November build 5). [There is also a leaked L3 - December build 3]. It could be the case that your operator only allows you to use I1, because they havnt tested K5 on their network yet. That means NPS will only allow you to install I1.

However O2 UK have authorised K5 for use on their phones. You could simply take the firmware from the O2 release and flash it to your phone, and therefore have the latest firmware. You would loose the CSC tho. This usually just means the wallpaper or something useless like that. If you want to do this, search for the Odin instructions.

If the latest NPS says UPDATE SUPPORTED, but then 'unsuported device' when you go to update that means the firmware you have is the latest for your CSC/operator.

Note: all firmwares are the same. eg K5 from O2 UK is identical to K5 from France. So K5 for your region when its released will be the same K5 that we have today. However the K5 CSC for 'PAK' operator region can only be released by your operator, there's no other way to get it.

6. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

just to add to kam's post, if your phone doesn't have a csc, nps will not update it, no matter what - you have to use odin

7. kam187

kam187 Well-Known Member

Yup!

One more thing. Once you flash with odin, you can't get you're original CSC back untill they release it through NPS

8. badassballer

Thank you all for the responses =) - This site has been great - and thank you Kam187 for the detailed breakdown of the PDA / CSC explanations - now i actually understand a little bit more about what it is that i am doing etc - I don't require the CSC thingy - i am using an unlocked phone and the warranty here is not provided by samsung themselves but a third company (thats how the mobile business in pakistan works) so yea - i have looked at the tutorials and right now in a couple of minutes i am going to try and flash the phone for the first time - Hopefully it works - the instructions provided are indeed very detailed and easy to understand =) But thanks again for the prompt responses and help =)

9. badassballer

Just flashed the phone and it works great =) Thank you all again for all the help with this - Nearly got rid of this phone for not being able to update the firmware but thanks 2 you all - i am going to now keep using this thing! Thank you once again =)

I just flashed it to II5 - but i was wondering which one is the latest firmware upgrade available? I have been reading elsewhere on this forum that there is this IK4 / IK5 version available - but i could not find the download links for it - Also one more question i had was that the IK4 /IK5 versions are O2 UK versions - so if i get them and put them on my phone, would it be ok ? or would it cause problems?

10. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

K5 is the latest official firmware, tho' there's a leaked L# (can't remember the number)
    generally the only thing different in a firmware got from another country/carrier is the csc (which is useless for most), but brazilians and canadians have the i7500L version of the phone, so their firmwares are different, as well as some asian countries' firmwares, which are different because of the language and differences in wireless protocols

11. badassballer

Ah ok cool - understood it now - i'll give the k5 a shot and if it works fine then cool otherwise i can always downgrade back to II5 etc - makes sense - the galaxy i got is not i7500L so i suppose i might not run into issues - thanks again mate =)

Well - i just did it - i downloaded the k4 using FUS (by utilizing the details given in another post on these forums) and flashed the phone with it - when i had flashed it using the II5 the csc had disappeared - but now that i flashed it with K4 - the csc has reappeared (the k4 i downloaded was UK 02 one ) so yea - so far it seems to be working fine =)