Aloysius Snow!!!

Last Updated:

1. the208

the208 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Aloysius Snow is an amazing ROM. Fantastic look and incredible performance!

I know XTR gets a lot of play about how fast it is, but my experience has been that Aloysius is snappier and more responsive than XTR on my Eris. Kudos to all those involved in putting together a top notch ROM.

Advertisement
  2. shaggylouie

shaggylouie Well-Known Member

I'm always looking to try out different ROMs. The Aloysius series would be new to me. I've been to xda and can't figure out which is the latest/best version of Aloysius. Can anyone help me out? Maybe drop a link or two... Thanks!!!:)

-Shaggy

3. the208

notaguru and shaggylouie like this.
  4. shaggylouie

shaggylouie Well-Known Member

Thanks! Quick questions (sorry): v12 and snow are both full ROMs right? Same content with different themes right?

5. the208

Correct.

6. mhseris

mhseris Well-Known Member

Do you happen to know if Snow includes app2sd? I love the theme, but am running into the low memory problem. :(

7. fightthefiction

fightthefiction Member

How do you get mms to work on snow? Its the only downfall...

8. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

my thoughts exactly, I loved this rom and wanted to keep it but no mms. I would gladly keep it as one of my favorite roms if it worked.

9. kobel1up

So I went ahead and did the APN trick and this makes it work. Just finished and I was able to recieve mms, and I can send them. This is how it is done.

Try this: APN FIX

1. Load up a normal 2.1 ROM that MMS works for.
    2. Download APN Backup & Restore.
    3. Use it, Backup APN's.
    4. Load up your Sprint ROM.
    5. Download and open APN Backup & Restore.
    6. 'Delete APN's'

'Restore APN's', and choose the APNs that you backed up from the normal 2.1 ROM.

Your APN's may be very close, but this will make them E-X-A-C-T.

10. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread but I was hoping someone who's used and enjoyed this ROM could answer a few questions? I found the original thread at xda but the changelog was deleted and there's not really any installing instrustions.

IS this a sense based ROM?
    Do you have to flash anything other than the ROM for it to run properely? ie: gapps
    Being a Sprint based ROM will it say Sprint on the lockscreen/notification bar, etc?

This ROM seems solid even though it's not being updated anymore. I really want to give it a shot, just trying to do my homework before hand. Thanks in advance

11. kobel1up

You are right it is a sense based rom, and the only sense based rom I will run. I love XtrRom 4.6, but the alysius snow rom is my favorite sense rom. You need to do the apn trick to make your mms messages work. The instructions are above and it works perfect. Any questions just let me know.:D

12. WormDoes

Without the APN trick will SMS still work? So the only thing I'd need to flash is the ROM itself and nothing else? Is everything working in v12? I'm going through the 187 page thread at xda and saw that there were some VM and navigation issues, do you know if they've been resolved? Also, thanks for the quick response.

I really want to flash this asap today :D

13. kobel1up

I am pretty sure that regular text will work, just not the picture text. Now I have used the quite a bit and never noticed anything weird with navigation. I havent used it for a while now I last used it over a month ago. You can do the update, but you dont need to. Just pick the update you want and flash it. Only flash it after you have the rom flashed and running. No need to do any wipes for the update. Version 12 is a really good solid rom. I may just have to flash it tonight.

14. WormDoes

I'm going to try flashing v12 and see how everything works. Maybe I won't need to flash the update??? Thanks for the help. I'm excited to try a new sense ROM other than xtrSESNSE

Whats the difference between v12 and snow? Also, v11 has 2 different d/l's MAPS and LWP. Would v11 MAPS be the fixed navigation?

15. notaguru

notaguru Well-Known Member

16. mhseris

I've been using Snow since I rooted. I like the look and feel; battery life is way up. Regarding MMS - I've gotten pictures inside of text messages without doing anything special. But I use Handcent rather than the stock messaging app.

kobel1up likes this.
  17. kobel1up

I haven't tried the handcent, maybe that is the way to go instead of apn trick. I will try that out tonight. Thanks for the tip.:)

18. 1868

1868 Member

Any luck with getting mms's with handcent?

19. kobel1up

I will flash snow tonight, don't want to worry about missing a important call.

20. kobel1up

Just a few questions, when did you root, and what version are you running? have you flashed any updates, if you did which ones? Just wondering.:)

21. mhseris

Rooted in late August - been running Snow since September 1st. AFAIK it hasn't been updated since I flashed it, so I haven't flashed any updates.

22. kobel1up

Ok, that aswers that question. I wasn't sure if you flashed any of the old updates that are posted.