• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ALPHA] ICS for Optimus M (NOW COMPILED AND BOOTING)

aside from that ive been transfering files from cm7 gingerbread to this ics rom and now i see why they dont co oparate. another note is the touchscreen is TOTALLY diffrent on all android os from 2.3 vs 4.0
because of that cursor and some ther things that come along with touching the screen. if we can get some more devs to get this up in shop it will be running soon. you can use both lg optimus (c) (m) to build on they both are the same just diffrent branding as in carrier

Upvote 0
we need to pack this rom up so it can run in emulator. lg optimus v has a similiar firmware it has ics 4.0 i think it may be cm9(((((side note if we take cyanogenmod apps and services and put them into this rom would it be a cm rom)))) [WIP][ROM] CyanogenMod 9 for LG Optimus S (Yes, it's ICS!) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com [ROM][ALPHA] quattrimus ICS - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
keep in mind whats not working for those roms because it wont work on this rom. a basic computer knowledge person can do this. just know how to read and follow directions. if you imagine this wont be hard to do ohh the only custom recovery i know to work on my optimus c is cwm the rom installed just fine but if you edit the wrong files it wont boot. please read my other post about what needs to be added if we can get this basic stuff working then we can work on the small things. lol it takes two fingers to get past the lockscreen. ha and gapps we need em Goo.im Downloads - Browsing gapps we need to set up shop for a second i thought this thread died.
im going to look up on how to make a kernel but it may be difficult to do

Upvote 0
So I don't really know why we would need a new kernel or drivers, if anything it's making a new ramdisk that should be fixed. We have to remember that Android runs in a Virtual Machine already, the Dalvik VM. it runs on top of linux, which is what controls the hardware. So technically speaking, Android doesn't control the phone, Linux does. I doubt our phones could use GUI HWA, so it's not like we'll be missing much.

sony-ericsson-confirms-unchanged-kernel-for-android-4-0-ics-release/

Upvote 0
So I don't really know why we would need a new kernel or drivers, if anything it's making a new ramdisk that should be fixed. We have to remember that Android runs in a Virtual Machine already, the Dalvik VM. it runs on top of linux, which is what controls the hardware. So technically speaking, Android doesn't control the phone, Linux does. I doubt our phones could use GUI HWA, so it's not like we'll be missing much.

sony-ericsson-confirms-unchanged-kernel-for-android-4-0-ics-release/

That's interesting but you got to remember not all phones are the same.....gingerbread kernel for our phone is different than the froyo kernel.

Upvote 0
That's interesting but you got to remember not all phones are the same.....gingerbread kernel for our phone is different than the froyo kernel.

But Don't forget a kernel is a kernel, It is still Linux, though with optimizations which are "upgrades"

All phones are not the same, but we are trying to upgrade our phone which is staying the same. So on a hardware level, the old kernel should do the job, it just needs to be tweaked, but probably more so on the ICS side then the kernel.

Anyone who has built kernels for any Linux distributions would know what I'm talking about :)

I'm still waiting for the upload :p

Upvote 0
You also must understand that ICS is a whole new monster. The android operating system relies on the touchscreen driver that is built in the kernel. The update from Froyo to GB wasn't major. However, the whole framework for ICS was re-written, and the old drivers needed to be updated in some places to add BTN_TOUCH and ABS_PRESSURE because that's what ICS looks for when input is detected. That's why the kernel needs to be updated.

Upvote 0
You also must understand that ICS is a whole new monster. The android operating system relies on the touchscreen driver that is built in the kernel. The update from Froyo to GB wasn't major. However, the whole framework for ICS was re-written, and the old drivers needed to be updated in some places to add BTN_TOUCH and ABS_VALUE because that's what ICS looks for when input is detected. That's why the kernel needs to be updated.

Touch Devices | Android Open Source

Linux Kernel Documentation :: input : multi-touch-protocol.txt

Upvote 0
Why use 12.04? Isn't it still in beta? 12.04 was never very stable for me. I would use 10.04. It's a lot more stable in my opinion.

I would prefer not to use ubuntu in the first place, but I want to stay as compatible with android buildenv as I can. 12.04 was the only version that would boot as I have an AMD APU&discreetGPU, laptop, so driver support is a pain still.

anyone have a ccache size suggestion?

Upvote 0
Havent got on this forum in a while, just checking in. Been busy learning ruby on rails =) As far as the kernel issue is concerned, we didn't need a new kernel for Gingerbread. It's the same exact kernel used in froyo with a small flag change to handle the screen waking issue. But it was not a new kernel, it was built from the same old source we already had. For ICS we do in fact need the input modules updated as ICS relies on new input requests...its either that or rewrite ICS..which i believe patching the kernel would be an easier task.

Upvote 0
Havent got on this forum in a while, just checking in. Been busy learning ruby on rails =) As far as the kernel issue is concerned, we didn't need a new kernel for Gingerbread. It's the same exact kernel used in froyo with a small flag change to handle the screen waking issue. But it was not a new kernel, it was built from the same old source we already had. For ICS we do in fact need the input modules updated as ICS relies on new input requests...its either that or rewrite ICS..which i believe patching the kernel would be an easier task.
Nice to hear from you Reppard. Although I have a LG Esteem I always come to the OM forum to check whats going on with the OM. I still have my Optimus running as a media device and is still rocking your ROM and still running great. I've been using my wife's Optimus as a guini pig, installing all this ROM's that are around: MIUI from Primed, ICS theme by Sammyz among others. The Esteem forum seems to be slowing down. Again its cool that you are back around here I do appreciate your work.

Reactions: sammyz
Upvote 0
Nice to hear from you Reppard. Although I have a LG Esteem I always come to the OM forum to check whats going on with the OM. I still have my Optimus running as a media device and is still rocking your ROM and still running great. I've been using my wife's Optimus as a guini pig, installing all this ROM's that are around: MIUI from Primed, ICS theme by Sammyz among others. The Esteem forum seems to be slowing down. Again its cool that you are back around here I do appreciate your work.

Don't forget to try BACKside, v0.7.......its not in the OP (still needing Primed to update it), look at the newer posts for it, but read the OP. :)

And idk about you, but BobZ new CM7 is giving me issues.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones