• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Already fried 2 memory cards!!!!

Happened again with another brand new card. I hate this phone.

You go to 3 different Ball Parks and get hit with 3 foul balls in each and you want to blame the Baseball?

The chances are EXTREMELY slim of this happening (3 bad cards), obviously there is an issue with your phone and after the second time I would have replaced it, just doesn't make sense to think then that it is the PHONE's fault, more HUMAN error by not switching out the unit, lol...

Let us know how it goes...

:)

Upvote 0
My guess, in order of likelihood, is that the cause of your problem is:

(1) Defective phone - please go exchange it for a new one
(2) Defective app installed that is corrupting the card - please use the new phone obtained as per above for a bit before reinstalling every app you used to have
(3) Bad string of defective cards - please reformat and use one of the previously "fried" cards (assuming a format restores it to usable) in the new phone to see if the problem recurs (though this is the least likely, it should be your second step to avoid having to reset and reinstall apps again)

Chances are that just swapping the phone will solve your problem and that you can use whatever card you want and go ahead and reinstall your apps immediately. But if you want to serially eliminate the possibilities just to satisfy your curiosity, swap the phone and use it for a while, then swap to one of the previously bad cards and use it for a while, then install all the apps you were using. Make not at which step if any the problem recurs, which it probably won't.

Upvote 0
Interesting analogy, but don't you mean going to the same ballpark and getting hit with a foul ball on 3 separate occasions? If that happened to me, i'd still say "I hate coming to this f-ing stadium"

Well... you could change your seat if at the same stadium. But my analogy was to reflect the impossibility of going to 3 different stadiums and getting hit with foul balls, or in your case the improbability of 3 bad sd cards meaning that the phone must be defective ... not too hard to see.

Let us know how it goes... hope you resolve your problem.

:)

Upvote 0
Possibly the answer to this is much more simple. The original poster said he pulled his micro SD cards from a previous phone. Like any new (drive) or storage in this case did you format the Memory Card. I like control so i formated my cards from the disk management on the computer instead of the phone. Then wiped them formatted them to fat32 pulled the card out of the phone and placed it back, rebooted the phone.

After doing this to 3 different SD cards, 1gig, 2gig & a 32gig they were all successful and the phone created its file structure with no issues.

I could see if you had a strange or foreign formated card the phone doing some silly things do your media?

feedback >>>>>>>?

Upvote 0
Oh come on! I don't buy this. Next thing will hear is the Hero gave me testicular cancer. Please. How about we blame the cheap ass crappy memory card manufacturer, or your statically charged cry-baby hands. Oh, and why we are at it, the Hero ruined my life, and killed my dog. Then on top of everything else the Hero burned down my Grandma's house. :eek::eek::eek:.

Gasp...Gasp...Gasp... :eek:

Sorry about that friends. But seriously "World Of WarCraft" runs like shit on my Hero! What gives.

Just having fun...

Jack
hey a-hole....i just had this happen to me too...8gb memory card...500+ pics a few videos and almost 900 songs....gone!

Upvote 0
I got a new 8GB card on order. What is the proper procedure get the new card working on my Hero. Meaning, I still have the origianl 2GB card in the unit. Is this just a matter of copying everything off of the old card and then copying it to the new? Just want to understand to avoid ruining the new card. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
hey a-hole....i just had this happen to me too...8gb memory card...500+ pics a few videos and almost 900 songs....gone!

The point is it is not the phones fault. I admit I was kind of being an asshole when I made this post. This post was made at a time when people were blaming the Hero for everything under the sun. My apologies for the unruly post. Sorry about your data loss. You bring up a good point however. I back up my phone on a weekly basis. Backups are very important. You have to treat them like insurance. The more valuable your data the more you should backup. I drag and drop my sdcard contents when connected with a USB cable. Anyone know of an easier, or better yet automated way to do this? This would be a nice syncing feature. Once again my apologies to the OP and forum for my harsh post.

Jack

Upvote 0
Just happened to me this morning!!! Powered on, damaged sd card message. Wouldn't even read on my cpu. Little ticked over it but at the same time this gives me every reason to upgrade to an 8gb one like I had been putting off. Still I could kick myself for not backing up my pics :(

Go download the program "recuva" it's free and it works. I recovered all my pics, videos and music.

Upvote 0
Just got the same "Damaged SD card" error on my week old Hero and 4Gb card. All I did was reboot the phone (for no reason, just wanted to see how to reboot it without pulling the battery). I left the USB cable at work, so I won't know if I can get the files off the card until tomorrow. In any event, there wasn't anything there that I'd be upset about losing, but searching for this error reveals it to be a fairly wide-spread issue. Just for the record, I'm rooted, but running stock Sprint ROM with a few apps removed (Nascar, NFL, Amazon MP3, etc.).

Upvote 0
still a low end memory card compared to sandisk and other higher end cards.. but 2 years is a decent life.. at least you didn't get a chinese knock off of a sandisk from ebay...

True, but it's the first time I've had a flash based memory go bad on me. Also, seeing the number of people with the same problem tells me it's not the card's fault, but rather the Android OS issue.

Upvote 0
with the HUGE number of Android based phones out there and the SMALL number of card reported as going bad, it's not an Android thing.. it's a simple fact, man made objects will fail at some point and time.. some will last longer than others..some will fail right out of the box (even high end cards fail out of the box) when dealing with Flash memory, you're talking about microscopic traces that might happen to have one trace a little too thin..or too thick.. maybe that microscopic transistor wasn't perfect..or that microscopic diode failed allowing to much voltage through..killing the card

point is.. stuff breaks...the OS has no control over that.. high end memory cards do last on average longer than low end.. they do cost more..because the QC process is strict and it causes them to reject entire batches of cards.. which then be destroyed, but instead they go out the back door and get repackaged or resold as a low cost card.

Upvote 0
I disagree. I've never heard of so many reports of flash media failures on the same phone/platform, especially with the way all these failures occur - in majority of the cases the card works fine until you reboot the phone (not every time you reboot the phone of course). I've never heard of a single report of a memory card failing after a reboot in any other device. Just search this forum alone - some people have burned through 2-3 cards already on their phones. I'm not bashing the Adnroid or Hero in particular, I'm just merely pointing out that there is a higher than normal rate of card failures with these phones, so maybe, just maybe there is a problem with the way OS interacts with the flash media that corrupts it?

In any event, I'm putting the stock SanDisk card back in there for now and will sent the A-Data card back for replacement under warranty (my Win 7 laptop won't even recognize the card plugged in anymore). I hope you're right and it was a bad card, but I still have my doubts. I will definitely start backing up my SD card more often going forward.

EDIT: I take it back, my Win 7 laptop has no problems reading the "damaged" card (I must not have plugged it in all the way when I tried it the first time), and all my files are on there and seem fine. So, why is Hero reporting it as a bad card? I have a bunch of meetings this morning, but I'll try putting the "bad" card back into Hero and see what happens.

Upvote 0
I run a class 6 8gb SanDisk card, and had a bunch of photos disappear off the card. Loaded my photo app one day and a months worth of pictures were just not there anymore. I honestly could have been wasted and deleted them in a blind frenzy, so I'm not ready to call it a bug yet, but I'm watching it closely now and backing up frequently.

Upvote 0
Yet another thing that's upsetting me about this phone. I bought the phone the day it was released. About 2 weeks after I'd had the phone, the I got an error saying the sd card was damaged. My computer wouldn't read it either. I'd been doing alot of resets and figured that might have been the problem. Needless to say, I lost all my photos taken in the 2 weeks and the music I had synced, irritating.

Replace it with an identical 8gb Sandisk Class 2 card. It's been working fine until today. I noticed that the album artwork stopped showing up on the music player and nothing I could do would get all of them to show. It was also bogging down, so I figured I'd power it off and back on. So now that it's been restarted, I'm showing another damaged card and my computer won't read it either. What gives? The phone doesn't really operate unless there's a memory card installed and what's the point of having a phone that loses all it's card data every month?

I'm on the new firmware and the phone is not rooted. Sandisk is supposed to be top quality when it comes to flash cards. My wife has the pixi and I've felt that I have the better phone.... up until today. At least her phone doesn't delete all her photos, videos, music and anything else she's saved on there every month.

Has anyone else had any issues? My co-worker with has a G1 and he's only on his 2nd memory card. (although the first one had the same problem with it getting damaged somehow)

My WM and Palm phones have never had any problems with damaging cards. Arghh.
My phone erased all my pics and music from my memory card as well. I think it happened from not unmounting my phone from the PC.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones