Alright... just need a little more encouragement...

Last Updated:

1. Jezi_Buckz

Jezi_Buckz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, I am going to try rooting very soon, I have been on the fence for about.... three months. But I want to know if there is a ROM that will look just like my eris does now, with Sense and the same keypad and all of that. Which would you recommend? I have been looking into KAOSFroyo because it seems most widely used (?)- but looking at screen shots I am just worried about having the HTC widgets and programs still available?? Does that make sense? This is all so scary! hahaha, even WITH the one click I'm afraid I'm going to mess it up! I also don't know how to get to the file once I install it :confused: this could be a mess.... does someone just want to come over and do it for me?! hahahah thanks for any answers..

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

KaosFroyo won't be an option if you want HTC Sense. Kaos is a nearly entirely vanilla Android ROM. So its how Google originally issued Android with no manufacturer tampering. At the moment, there aren't any Froyo ROMs that have Sense. Possibly in the future, but no guarantees.

If you want to be rooted, and want a ROM that's pretty quick, but really close to stock, you can give xtrSense a try. Most Sense features are there, but he optimized it to run quite a bit faster.

You should feel right at home without too much of a learning curve.

3. keeferb

keeferb Member

I just did my first root/flash to xtrSENSE 4.2 a few days ago...looks just like the stock 2.1 SENSE. I am really happy with it...haven't had a single issue with it. Hardly any lag now, and battery life seems better. I highly recommend it.

4. Jezi_Buckz

Now I've confused myself, another question, stock Eris's are running 2.0? and are NOT getting 2.1, or are they running 2.1 and not getting 2.2? Sorry

5. keeferb

keeferb Member

Running 2.1 and not getting 2.2.

6. Jezi_Buckz

So is there anything you can get that has 2.2 and sense?

7. keeferb

keeferb Member

I don't think so, but one of the more knowledgeable folks here would know that for sure.

8. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

9. kujayhawks77

kujayhawks77 Well-Known Member

If you wanted to go with a 2.2 rom until a 2.2 sense rom is release, you can install fancy widget (it was so close to the HTC time and weather widget that HTC asked them to stop using it but I have found it on the market as of late) or Beautiful Widgets (which is close but not quite as nice looking in my opinion).

You wouldn't have the launchpad that comes with sense (I.E. the phone launcher and the app arrow) but any of the 2.2 roms for the Eris will have a launcher of some sort whether it be adw or launcher pro. (I actually prefer launcher pro).

10. Jezi_Buckz

Well the launcher pad I don't really care about, it's mostly a couple of the widgets... but I spose I can live without those.

11. kujayhawks77

Which widgets? So far I have been able to replace most if not all the sense type widgets for my wife on her Eris.

**Edit** Almost forgot that she decided today that she didn't like Froyo (Android 2.2) for whatever reason and so I switched her over to xtrSENSE 4.5.2 today and even i have noticed that it is pretty fast versus stock and seemed faster than KaosFroyo but every Eris is different so what might be fast on hers won't be fast on another. I am on a lot so feel free to PM me with any questions or help if you take the plunge.

12. Gato

Gato Well-Known Member

I just rooted and loaded up xtrSENSE 4.2 over the weekend. I have never loaded or tried one of the 2.2 roms. I haven't really put that much thought into it. I'm sure the 2.2 roms are HIGHLY usable ....but I have to ask: Do you know why you want 2.2? Is there a specific reason or just that it's the latest and greatest?

13. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

2.2 has some advantages. Updated apps in the market can be installed with a single click; in fact, apps can be marked to auto-update when one is available. Gmail is better on 2.2.

Honestly, for me, I just prefer vanilla Android to the HTC customizations, and it's hard to find pure vanilla 2.1 ROMs for the Eris as well.

14. jeffgman

jeffgman Well-Known Member

If you would like a vanilla 2.1 I would recommend either xtrROM done by Zach or Vanilla 2.x which is also done by Zach and another guy (his name slips my mind right now, sorry). Both are available on XDA.

Jeff

15. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I used xtrROM for many weeks until I installed Kaos. It's definitely not pure vanilla Android - it's built on the HTC framework, with basically just the Sense launcher and a few other vanilla bits added in. It's truly an excellent ROM, but the thing that gets me is the lockscreen - I don't like the HTC pull-down unlock lockscreen, and really don't like that the menu button unlocks the phone. Otherwise, I love xtrROM, and actually will be switching to that next in a few days, at least for a while.

I love the direction Vanilla is going - I ran it for a day or so a couple of weeks ago, until it did a spontaneous restart on me - but I'm waiting until all of the issues are fixed - the autobacklight, and especially the trackball notify. I hardly use the camera and would never zoom it anyway (it's bad enough unzoomed), so that issue doesn't bother me.

16. kujayhawks77

Check out the Lockbot app (there are a couple of other apps that do it too). It gives you the ability to change how your lockscreen works and I think could give you a non pull down lockscreen.

17. Jezi_Buckz

I guess I just want my phone to work like it does now, but without the lag and TERRRRRIBBLE battery life :S

18. VanDums

VanDums Well-Known Member

I can't say too much about better battery life, but after rooting the phone runs much smoother. I was really getting sick of my Eris because of how slow it was getting. Now I am very happy with it. Now there is minimal lag to none depending on the rom you use. A good place to start if you want to root is xtrROM or xtrSENSE if you really want sense. I had xrtROM for a while and it is very fast with no lag.

19. Jezi_Buckz

Hmmmm, alright, but I have such noob questions, but if I root all of my apps will still be in the app store right? for me to download?

20. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Yes. Open the Market app, select menu > downloads and the apps you've downloaded will be listed there. (sometimes it's only a partial list, but even if not listed there you can still search and find them in the Market).

I also use the AppBrain app, which keeps a list of the programs on my phone stored up 'in the cloud'. Between AppBrain and the Market, I'm always able to easily find and reload my apps when switching ROMs.
    AppBrain App Market - Android app on AppBrain