Altering the Nexus One popup keyboard?Support

Last Updated:

1. HippoMan

HippoMan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know of any apps that will allow me to alter the Nexus One popup keyboard in the following ways:

1. When Voice Input is enabled in the Settings, the key for it replaces the comma to the left of the spacebar in the popup keyboard, and I then have to go into numeric mode to access the comma. This is a real PITA for me, and I'd like to change the keyboard so that the Voice Input key appears somewhere else. I can think of several other locations for that key which won't replace the key for such a widely used character as the comma.

2. I'd like the shift key and the numeric-mode key to change places.

Thanks in advance for any pointers to apps which might help me achieve what I'm looking for.
    .​

Advertisement
  2. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

I know if you go into the keyboard settings you can turn off voice input and the comma button will reappear in its location, however, you cant use voice input, so it depends on what you want i guess...

not sure of ways to rearrange keys tho...

3. HippoMan

Thanks.

I know I can disable voice input, but I normally want it to be enabled, because I use it relatively frequently. I'd just like a new keyboard mapping which puts that voice input key somewhere else, so that I don't have to go into numeric mode just to get a comma.

I've looked at "AnySoftKeyboard", and I really like its layout. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer a key to turn voice input on and off. If it wasn't for that, I'd start using it.

The "Better Keyboard" and "EvenBetter Keyboard" apps look promising, but I don't want to pay for either of them unless I first know they can provide what I'm looking for. Does anyone have any experience with either of these on the Nexus One?
    .​

4. ikon

ikon Well-Known Member

They should just replace the period button with the comma button because you can get a period by hitting the spacebar twice. But they probably won't because most people would freak out if there wasn't a period button right there.

5. Astronomer

Astronomer Active Member

If you disable voice input to eliminate the voice button, can you still invoke the voice input function by swiping the keyboard from left to right?

Sorry, I don't have a N1, so I'm unable to test this. Give it a try and let us know.

6. HippoMan

But that won't work when trying to enter a number with a decimal point (such as 1.234), or an email address (such as foo@bar.net), or ellipses (...), or certain other constructs involving periods.
    .​

7. HippoMan

Thank you. I just tried this on my N-1, but I couldn't get it to work. I swiped from left to right, right to left, top to bottom, and bottom to top, but no joy. :(

PS: It turns out that left-to-right swiping only works when voice input is already enabled in the settings.

PPS: If I have voice input enabled and use the AnySoftKeyboard IME that I mentioned above, the left-to-write swiping doesn't work to turn on voice input. :(:(
    .​

8. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Swiping left to right work on mine (across the keys). I haven't disabled the speech to text button though so don't know if that makes a difference.

9. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

As a ShapeWriter user, I'm also interested in a way of engaging voice input without having a "microphone" key on the keyboard.

10. HippoMan

Yes, swiping does work as long as the speech-to-text button is enabled. If that button is disabled, swiping doesn't work.