Alternate keyboards not working anymoreSupport

1. rothlike

rothlike Member

Strange things are afoot at the circle k...Haven't seen this listed anywhere, but I am no longer able to use alternate keyboards for my E3D. I was able to at first but now even though I have the Swift X beta or Better Keybord 8 selected to use, only the default keyboard comes up. I was using alternate keyboard just fine but for some reason, not working anymore for either alternate keyboard now. Anyone else?

Advertisement
    :
  2. toddpedersen

toddpedersen Well-Known Member

Are you saying that when you press and hold in the area you input characters to bring up the Input Method screen, that you don't get prompted to chose one of your alternate keyboards?

If that is the case, you might need for first go to settings, then Language and Keyboard to ensure you have a checkmark for the 3rd party keyboards you want as a choice for the Input Method popup.

3. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

is "alternate keyboard" and app? or are you just saying your "other 3rd party" keyboards are not showing up? :confused:

what steps have you done to troubleshoot?
  4. rothlike

rothlike Member

I do have the swiftkey X checked to use in the settings>language & keyboard, but it does not come up. So I did the long press and on that input setting was set back to the standard, but I never changed that myself since installing the swiftkey X. I now have the swifkey comng up, and will post here if it changes back to the standard keyboard on its own again. I do remember a recent market update, wonder if that affected the input setting. We shall see...
  5. cokane

cokane Member

after you enable the downloaded key board app you have to do a long press and select input method, then you can chose which key board you want to use. I have found most key boards dont work and force close.
  6. CarrieK

CarrieK Well-Known Member

I use SwiftKey X beta on my 3D and it has not forceclosed even once fwiw. Haha I meant to say "forceclosed" instead of "foreclosed!" ID10T error on my part. ;)
    marctronixx likes this.
  7. wake69

wake69 Well-Known Member

I use flex t9 and have no issues. Did u install an ora update? Or anything that may reset permissions?
  8. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

at the very least, when you choose input mode, there should be two keyboard there: Touch Input (HTC stock), and Swype. Both of these are factory-installed. If Swype is not coming up, something is wrong.

If you go to Settings > Language & keyboard, and you have all checkboxes checked for your custom keyboards, they should show up when you long press a text field. If not, something is wrong.

I don't have any less destructive remedies than a factory data reset...
  9. atistang

atistang Well-Known Member

today when i was using the stock texting app my keyboard started dissapearing and reappearing. after a few mins it stopped

has anyone else had this yet?
  10. mak916

mak916 Well-Known Member

I've had it happen twice. I just switched to swype, then back to staock and it worked fine. But this only happened twice when I first got the phone.
  11. atistang

atistang Well-Known Member

i've had mine since day one, and its the first time it has happened, kinda weird
  12. 06rubi

06rubi Member

After reading about swype part of the update I want to try it out but I can't seem to figure out how to replace the touch keyboard. Also I need to recalibrate the touch keyboard and I can't seem to find it neither! It's making me feel kinda slow! :D
  13. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Long press on any text field and select input method to change well... the input method.

To calibrate, go to-- wat. *Can't find this one, will update when I find it*
    06rubi likes this.
  14. 06rubi

06rubi Member

Thank you sir! Works great. I so couldn't figure it out, thanks again.
  15. 06rubi

06rubi Member

I figured out the calibration too.
    LANGUAGE & KEYBOARD > TOUCH INPUT > TEXT INPUT > CALIBRATION TOOL