Alternate UprgadeGeneral

Last Updated:

1. LowRG

LowRG Member This Topic's Starter

Well, it comes the time for me to ask the question that seems to have been answered sporadically around the net. I'll try to get everything out so I can get answers for me and anyone else in my situation.

I have 2 lines on a family plan. Myself, the primary line, is not due to upgrade for a year. However, the secondary line on my plan is due tomorrow to upgrade. The other user is ok with me using the upgrade, which I can use to do an 'alternate upgrade'.

So here are my questions: Can this be done at a location other than a corporate store or through *611 customer service, for example a Best Buy?

If so, do they have to deactivate the upgradable (secondary) line temporarily, then reactivate the phone after moving the new phone to my primary line?

Finally, since the secondary line is a dumbphone, and my primary line has a BB data plan, will the upgrade be any more complicated with the required data plan?

Looking for straightforward answers here, there seems to be some confusion out there.

TIA

Advertisement
  2. mb236

mb236 Well-Known Member

Yes. You can do this at best buy. They have a system that allows them to do the alternate upgrade. If you are the primary account holder, and have all the information the other line does not need to be present.

It is not more complicated, they will just add the $30 data on to your plan. Be sure you check its the $30 and not the $45, since sometimes Best Buy messes that one up.

EDIT: No, the second line will not be affected at all. Their contract will just be pushed back two years. If they want to upgrade down the line, they will need to wait for your line's upgrade date.