Alternative Earbuds/Mic without in-ear buds?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. smileman

smileman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can anyone recommend an alternative to the stock Nexus S earbuds/mic that has a mic but aren't "in-ear" bud design? I prefer something like the iPhone's earbud design but still want to have the mic and controls for my Nexus S.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. PhatBaja

PhatBaja New Member

I just bought the earphones with mic that come with the iPhone, they work well except for the advanced features such as mute, volume up/down and voice control. That functionality is ignored by the Nexus S.

3. smileman

thanks for the feedback. i could live without the other lost functionality, but I'd really like to have volume up/down.

4. smileman

5. Landrew

Landrew Active Member

All those features work fine on the LG Shine Plus (LG Ally) with 3 different music player apps.

6. smileman

7. smileman

picked up the venerable Sony MDRED21LP Bass Boost earbuds to hold me over for now.

accessories are definitely an area where Android is running way behind iPhone/iPod. given how many Android devices have sold there should be some type of universal marketplace with phone models and accessory compatibility, no?

8. Landrew

Landrew Active Member

If you have a tapered ear canal as I do, earbuds just fall out; and if you think the hooks over the ear are a pain, try the earbuds with the soft barbs (similar to hosebarbs). They really do stay in place. I use a set designed for the iphone with my LG Shine Plus, and they work perfectly well.

9. smileman

for the price, these Sony MDRED21LP Bass Boost earbuds are working out pretty well. they have a little extra bit that penetrates the ear canal, but not as deeply or securely as in-ear models. it helps keep outside noise out but don't bother me in the same way in-ear models do.

overall, for me they're a nice compromise between say the stock iphone/ipod earbuds and the style that came with the Nexus S.

does anyone know if Sony (or anyone) else makes a premium version of earbuds with the same fit as the Sony MDRED21LP Bass Boost ones?

10. Sadu

Sadu New Member

Does anyone know if the Nexus One stock headset works on the Nexus S?

The Nexus One headset comes with next/prev buttons which the Nexus S doesn't, but also the design is more comfortable and actually stays in the ear when exercising.

I don't know how proprietary these things are, I'm assuming they are very proprietary.