Alternative Phone Keypad style Text Entry?

Last Updated:

1. Jezston

Jezston Well-Known Member

I've had an HTC Desire for a few months now, and I just can't get used to full keyboard touchscreen style text entry. I like old school phone keypad style T9 text entry - I find it much faster (well, once I've entered lots of extra words!) than a keyboard and like to be able to send texts with one hand.

However I'm not happy with the stock android keypad, and my phone has just received a new update that makes it EVEN WORSE.

For example, it appears to in fact be impossible to enter accented characters (e.g.

2. ASD007

ASD007 New Member

3. staffsmatt

staffsmatt Well-Known Member

I'm exactly the same, just can't get on with full QWERTY in portrait mode (and personally don't get on with swype either (I have to see the keys to remember where they are!!)

I use Smart Keyboard pro. it's a paid app but there is a free one to try.

It's just been upgraded with T9 improvements and has short cuts for ? and ! as well as a few others. Not sure about the other characters to be honest but I know it supports a boat load of languages...

I think there is another app that is specifically for T9 but I can't remember what it's called, it's on the forums here somewhere I'll try and track it down.

4. staffsmatt

staffsmatt Well-Known Member

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Based on a quick appbrain search (for "T9") it looks like there are several options out there.
  6. Jezston

Thanks for the info guys, managed to get HTC_IME mod working and it's a definite improvement over the stock HTC keypad, however it still doesn't seem to be able to do alternative characters which is a pain.

Looks like Smart Keyboard Pro and EvenBetter Numberpad are the main contenders. Annoyingly Smart Keyboard Lite turns off T9 prediction so can't really test it, and there doesn't appear to be a demo of EB Numberpad at all. I'm learning towards EvenBetter because I'm not sure I like the proportions of Smart (del key a bit too small), although it does seem heavily customisable.

Anyone with experience of both able to offer their views before I splash the cash?
  7. mikeymop

mikeymop Well-Known Member

I would go with Evenbetter...
  8. Jezston

Care to elaborate?