Alternative to Locale?

1. ArXane

ArXane Well-Known Member

Now that Locale is way to expensive. Is there any app out there that is close to the same? One that sets profiles on locations....

Advertisement
    :
  2. nonie3234

nonie3234 Well-Known Member

I prefer Timeriffic, but it doesn't set on locations - only time. But it does that really well - maybe give it a try until you can find another app?
  3. thomasanderson

thomasanderson Well-Known Member

Im curious and confused, you are looking for an alternative to locale because the price is now $10 for new downloads. Does the beta version stop working now that the new version is out? And if not, why do you need something else?
  4. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

I would gladly pay the $10 if I could get the location based setting to work. It is either
    intermittent or just won't work at all. My GPS seems to be working fine in other programs. To me, Locale is still a work in progress with great potential but not quite ready for primetime.
  5. Pent

Pent Member

It's probably a bit naughty of me (I'm the developer) but:

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/

Not as refined as Locale for location-based, but does vastly more.

Pent
  6. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

That looks pretty sweet. I'm gonna give it a try at work tonight.
  7. gentlefury

gentlefury Well-Known Member

looks cool but i dont see it in the market
  8. Pent

Pent Member

Yes, still in beta I'm afraid, I just couldn't resist the thread title :)

Pent
  9. ArXane

ArXane Well-Known Member

Just installed it, looks promising, defiantly in beta though....
  10. RadYOacTiVe

RadYOacTiVe Well-Known Member

The dev for Beautiful Widgets also has this app: FOXYRING, FoxyRing | LevelUp Studio and can be set by location. I have yet to try it.
  11. mhmohamadi

mhmohamadi Active Member

best automatic apps like LOCALE ?
  12. zzrgraeme1

zzrgraeme1 Member

Have a look at "Setting Profile Full" I find it pretty good.
  13. TeleC@ster

TeleC@ster Active Member

It's your work trying out those things? Cool! :D
  14. mwburden

mwburden Member

I was using the Beta version of Locale, but after the last update it stopped working (intentionally?)

I went to the app store to buy the paid version, saw that it was $10 (putting it just off the list of "most expensive Android apps"), did a Google search, and wound up here.

@pent: Wow! Looks like you have put some SERIOUS work into Tasker! If it works well, looks like it will let me do a lot more than Locale did (including doing some things that I have open enhancement requests for on the Local website), and allow me to get rid of some widgets (like Audio manager) that are slowing down my homescreen!
  15. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

I don't think it's intentional, as v0.695beta is still functioning fine on my handset. No way will I be springing $10 for the full version - that's daylight robbery!

I must have missed this in the chaos that was Christmas.... Tasker looks very useful. I may have to give it a whirl myself....
  16. mwburden

mwburden Member

Odd... up until v0.695 it was functioning perfectly for me, but now it's not turning the ringer volume and bluetooth off when I'm at the office, even though the notification says "office."
  17. myko14

myko14 Well-Known Member

I tried Locale but couldn't rely on the GPS locations as I work inside. I then compared Locale to Wiggle using their WiFi network recognition to change profiles. I am only running the Free versions of both programs but found Wiggle to be a more restricted Lite version but also more reliable.

I am also trying Tasker. Very cool, very promising.
  18. ken-doh

ken-doh Active Member

after the latest beta updates its stopped working for me...

it doesnt switch my wifi on or off at my chosen locaitons - despite saying that the right location is on...

used to be good - now its just useless :(
  19. mwburden

mwburden Member

That's exactly the symptoms I've got.
  20. Pent

Pent Member

You could say that, I toiled all summer to get it ready for ADC2.

Thanks for helping me with testing the beta BTW. It's much more fun to work on now there are some enthusiastic people getting involved.

Pent
  21. April_Fool_79

April_Fool_79 Well-Known Member

OK, I'll bite and help test, cause I'd love an app like this that actually works .... Stupid question, though, how do I install it?
  22. kc311man

kc311man Member

Yep, I opened up the old beta today and got a message about it being expired and it disabled Locale and then closed out. Bummer. No way I'm paying $10 though. Mostly because of the notification icon at the top all the time. I might have paid $5 but that's it. I used it to turn off my ringer during the week when I'm at work and to enable WiFi and brighten the screen when I have my phone plugged in.

I'm checking out Timeriffic and Tasker now.
  23. Pent

Pent Member

Unfotunately a notification icon is required by Android as of 2+ when a background service wants not to be killed at the slightest dip in memory usage.

A timer-only app can avoid it, it just sets an alarm for the next time period, but something that monitors e.g. location cannot if it wants to be reliable.

Pent
  24. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Seeing as you're here Pent..... any ETA on Tasker 0.8b? ;)
  25. Pent

Pent Member

Tomorrow, probably. Just trying to get google maps working on cupcake.

Pent