Alternative to WatchON?General

Last Updated:

1. 3ricG

3ricG Well-Known Member

Are there any good alternatives for WatchON? I know about the Smart Remote for Galaxy S4 app, but I'd rather not pay $10; since I probably wouldn't use it a lot. I don't have any problems with WatchON, but it seems like more of a pain to use then a dedicated app.

2. Turbodc2

Turbodc2 Well-Known Member

What do you mean a dedicated app? Watch on seems pretty dedicated to me. Works really well for me too. I use it all the time now and is super convenient. My fiance usually has the remote and falls asleep on the couch with it and instead of me having to get up and search around her to see if she's laying on it or if it's in her mess of blankets, I just pull out my phone.
  3. 3ricG

3ricG Well-Known Member

It's not that the app is unusable, but it has a whole "TVGuide" aspect to it. I would prefer an app that is only a remote. Also, it would be nice to have support for more devices (similar to the app I linked previously). I actually like WatchON, but I was wondering if there were any other options.
  4. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

I have been wondering the same. The app that you listed looks pretty awesome, even at $10. I might give it a try.
  5. FrankP999

FrankP999 Member

If you use Roku, there are several apps for that device.
  6. mhynek

mhynek Well-Known Member

Nevo works fairly well.
  7. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

I do recommend that app, it's updated every few days. I even made a suggestion and it was implemented just a few days later, and I like supporting good devs so it was well worth it to me
  8. BzB

BzB Well-Known Member

i like the watchon app. my setup is fairly simple though with just the tv, dvr and blueray. if the watchon app would open directly to the remote control part of the app instead of the tv guide part first it would be almost perfect for me. it's just one extra touch to get to the remote though, not that bad.
  9. radiocaf

radiocaf Member

It works well for me, but I just wish I would be shown more listings of what is on rather than just 5, four of which are news. Anyone else having this problem on Sky in the UK?
  10. chococo

chococo New Member

There's a shortcut to opening WatchOn, here's how to find it: open WatchOn, tap the Menu key and choose Settings. From there choose either "Show remote control on notification panel" or "Auto display remote control on lock screen".
  11. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I'm not in the UK, so maybe this doesn't work correctly on Sky, but have you tried the channel guide? Press the purple-ish icon in the upper left, then select Channel Guide. For Comcast in the US that shows the complete list of channels and what's currently playing.