Alternatives to a Task Killer?

Last Updated:

1. hannahl3

hannahl3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Theres a buzz going around at the moment in this forum whereby any faults in the phone may be caused by a task killer. I in fact removed mine in order to do some experimenting with various faults that my phone had developed, but this obviously means that lots of stuff now runs in the background without me noticing it, a prime example being that my ringtone app turns on every time the phone rings.
    So - without the aid of a task killer or a safety net, how can you find out whats running on stealth and whats the best way to turn these off without going into file manager folders and hoping that the phone doesnt ring before you finished?

Advertisement
  2. jim_h

jim_h Well-Known Member

I think people blaming the task killers for all the ills of the Hero is a bit much sometimes. I did get rid of TasKiller, but still use Advanced Task Manager. The difference now is that I'm very selective about what apps I exclude from being killed off. I tend to use it to close games and other apps that really have no business continuing to run when I've finished with them.

3. hannahl3

hannahl3 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey thats a nice app - tells you whats running, how its running, immediate kill, immediate uninstall, and no green snot-like Android logo.
    Hey, am I the only one who thinks the Android logo was designed by a three year old?

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I use one called AutoKiller. The difference with this app is that it simply changes how aggressive android's own task killer is. Before I used ATK, and the phone got sluggish every now and then and I'd have to kill all apps I wasn't using, but AK keeps everything running smoothly. So you basically set it once and forget about it.

It does require root access though.

5. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

I use Modaco's 3.2 Rom which makes Android's taskiller more aggressive in much the same way as Autokiller.

Taskiller apps cause more trouble than they solve.

6. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Ditto, but I do also have a task killer installed (ProcessManger) mainly for two laggy apps that I cannot do without that being the Market and the stock Browser. These two apps have no exit button and cause lag so I use ProcessManager to kill them.

7. TeamPEZ

TeamPEZ Well-Known Member

I had used Task Killer on a regular basis until soneone suggested to use Close Everything, so now I am trying that. Anyone else use Close Everything?

-TP

8. bluenova

bluenova OK Computer VIP Member

Just the name give's me the shivers :eek: I don't know whether it lives up to it's name but by closing everything you are hurting your phone performance. A task killer should only be use very sparingly for the odd app that causes lag issues that you cannot do without.