Alternatives to motoblur...?Support

Last Updated:

1. jamle

jamle Member This Topic's Starter

hi boys and girls. upon reading many reviews ive heard that moto blur really bogs down the performance of this phone. (im awaiting mine to arrive in post so cant confirm it myself) however what sort of alternatives (not sure what you even call motoblur is it a UI?..) are available to help release its full power whilst still having a social network/ email constant stream available?
    Many thanks Jay
    (pics of what they look like might be nice as we all know it has to look pretty!)

Advertisement
  2. bfready

bfready Active Member

I use launcher pro and some standard android widgets. Nothing bogs down after replacing the home screen with launcher pro.

3. NiteWalker

NiteWalker Member

I removed all of the social networking crap via root explorer and my defy is buttery smooth now.

Launcher pro would probably be easier though.

4. jamle

jamle Member This Topic's Starter

right okay, there nay helpful info on launcher pro... ive never heard of it lol :eek:

5. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Its just adds a homescreen profile to the OS...different widgets, different way to access panels, etc. I didn't find Moto Blur all that laggy, but I was only using calendar, weather, news, and email widgets. I do wish there were more sync settings options. Seems like the Droid was more configurable in that respect, on Android 2.0.

LauncherPro is available free in the Market, and allows you to switch between the stock and LauncherPro homescreens.

6. pinkllama

pinkllama Member

i did this as well and then installed launcher pro. i must have removed 20+apps!

very happy with the phone now.

would still like a custom rom as OSmonitor stills shows motoblur services using some of my ram.

of course, i didn't delete the core motoblur apps as doing so breaks the phone (so i've heard)

what i removed with root explorer:

HipHopOfficial.apk
    AmazonMP3.apk
    truecountry.apk
    WeatherForecast.apk
    News.apk ???
    QuickOffice.apk
    esmusica.apk
    megamaid.apk
    LiveWallpapers.apk
    LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
    MagicSmokeWallpapers.apk
    WorkContacts.apk
    dlna
    motoportal
    help center
    clock widget
    cardock
    togglewidgets
    revolver
    swype
    socialmessaging
    socialshare
    friendfeed
    homesyncwizard
    messageswidget
    quickcontactwidget
    statuswidget
    stk
    universalinbox
    weatherwidget

7. NiteWalker

NiteWalker Member

Nice list; I'll compare that to mine. Some of what you listed I removed. I'll post mine later as well so we can compare.

8. cheaplikeafox

cheaplikeafox Member

you can't resize widgets with the launcherpro free version though right? That seems like a useful feature to me.

9. darmach

darmach Member

I've found it unusefull at all. I bought LauncherPRO full version - just because i think its a great home replacement - and.... ...i dont use neither its widgets nor its resize feature..

10. stevechou

stevechou Member

UK ROM or T-mobile USA DEFY?

11. pinkllama

pinkllama Member

uk rom. defy from t-mobile uk

12. flamehaze

flamehaze New Member

Does Defy from non-operator released have a lot of standard bloatware from Motorola? I'm getting the non-operator released Defy from Germany.

13. LetoKynes

LetoKynes Member

Just a quick question - does launcher pro really make everything smoother including opening or switching between apps, shifting between screens etc?

The Defy will be my first ever Android phone (in fact, first touch-screen even!) so I really want to do my research before getting it :p

P.S. Also does the fact that it's stuck with Android 2.1 affect the apps I can use with the phone? Or is this mostly down to the phone's hardware specs which I believe are more than decent :D

14. bfready

bfready Active Member

With out a doubt, yes. Switching homescreens, scrolling through the apps drawer, etc. Only time I experience lag is when I first bring the phone up or bring it out of standby. It chugs for a few moments and goes back to being fluid. My wife's Galaxy S phone does the same thing. Her phone doesn't last as long in battery life, however.

I haven't found anything that I've run on the Optimus S (w/ android 2.2) when I was with Sprint that doesn't run on the Motorola Defy.

It's a great phone.

LetoKynes likes this.
  15. LetoKynes

LetoKynes Member

Thanks very much :D Been itching for those questions to get answered :p Will probably pick it up in a week or so, hopefully T-Mob doesn't raise the prices :eek: