• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NightAngel79

Mandalorian
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Northern Ky
Is there any cons to leaving CC 'always on' ? My dad is retired and it is possible he goes days without using it. They have netflix, and im going to let him use my HBO GO and Hulu. But still not sure how often he will use it. I saw a couple posts about screen flickers... Also, I will leave it plugged into TV's usb (right next to hdmi) so I don't think that will be an issue.

And while I'm thinking of it, even though CC is on a separate HDMI input, he will still be able to cast while watching cable? (input 1, CC on input 3)

Leaving it on is fine, wouldn't worry about it.

As for having a chromecast connected, as well as cable via different hdmi inputs, for me at least, I just have to change the source input on the remote control.

Really? I was wondering about that. Seems to me that it makes 'casting' not so seamless if you still have to pick up a controller and change the input. Might as well got a fire stick eh?

Upvote 0
If it doesn't then I'm going to be a bit disappointed with the chromecast.

How can you be disappointed with Chromecast? It's down to the tv having that feature. Don't think there's any device that can override a tv like that. Like saying you'd be disappointed with a ps4 or xbox, dvd player etc because it doesn't do that feature you want.

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
How can you be disappointed with Chromecast? It's down to the tv having that feature. Don't think there's any device that can override a tv like that. Like saying you'd be disappointed with a ps4 or xbox, dvd player etc because it doesn't do that feature you want.

Well my XboxOne works perfectly, but that is because the cable signal is funneled through the xbox so they are both on the same input. And that is not the same thing. I only considered the Chromecast for my *65 year old father* due to the casting ability. If I cannot cast with it then I will be disappointed. And that is not *necessarily* CC's fault, but I would be disappointed nonetheless.

Shouldn't you be disappointed in the TV? It's the device failing to support the function.

Perhaps, but all I've ever heard about the CC is how it can transform *any* HD TV into a media powerhouse. I never even thought about the input being an issue (and that's on me). TV in question is a Samsung, so maybe it works. But if it doesn't cast without manually changing inputs then it becomes practically useless for him. If a controller is required it almost seems like the Fire Stick is the better device...

Upvote 0
But with the firestick you're still going to have to pick up the TV remote control to change the HDMI source if it doesn't work automatically... the controller would be useful i suppose, if he doesn't have a laptop/tablet/phone to cast from.

True, but since no matter what you have to pick a second device up I'm not sure which device would be better. He has an m8 so I'm still siding with CC, for now at least. I may open it and give it a test run before I give it to him on Christmas.

Reactions: psionandy
Upvote 0
Well my XboxOne works perfectly, but that is because the cable signal is funneled through the xbox so they are both on the same input. And that is not the same thing. I only considered the Chromecast for my *65 year old father* due to the casting ability. If I cannot cast with it then I will be disappointed. And that is not *necessarily* CC's fault, but I was be disappointed nonetheless.

Perhaps, but all I've ever heard about the CC is how it can transform *any* HD TV into a media powerhouse. I never even thought about the input being an issue (and that's on me). TV in question is a Samsung, so maybe it works. But if it doesn't cast without manually changing inputs then it becomes practically useless for him. If a controller is required it almost seems like the Fire Stick is the better device...
What? Changing the TV input with the remote is too difficult? He'd have to be able to change it back either way. If the TV doesn't support ARC, then it won't matter which stick you get, he'll have to change the input himself. If the TV has an HDMI port, the Chromecast will work, but if the TV doesn't support ARC, the input will have to be changed manually.

What exactly do you expect the Chromecast to do, and how do you expect it to do it?

Reactions: Omar Days
Upvote 0
What? Changing the TV input with the remote is too difficult? He'd have to be able to change it back either way. If the TV doesn't support ARC, then it won't matter which stick you get, he'll have to change the input himself. If the TV has an HDMI port, the Chromecast will work, but if the TV doesn't support ARC, the input will have to be changed manually.

What exactly do you expect the Chromecast to do, and how do you expect it to do it?

No one said it would be 'too difficult' so lets not take things out of context. As I've stated several times, this is for a 65 year old man who is EXTREMELY tech ignorant. I'm trying to find something that is as easy as possible.

What I would *prefer* is the HDMI signal from cable pass through the CC (like google tv did, and xboxone). I know its asking a lot, but there it is. Sounds like to get it to do what I want (and lets be real, as a consumer I do not think that is asking too much) I would need a XboxOne or GoogleTv

Upvote 0
It's pretty likely that Sammy supports HDMI-CEC (consumer electronics control).

That protocol is what drives the interconnected, control-it-all magic you see in Samsung and Mitsubishi brochures.

The Chromecast implements only one part of the command protocol but it's a big part- turn on and set input.

How that works from your point-of-view -
  • Don't power the Chromecast from a TV USB port, plug it into the wall
  • TV off - pull up app on phone, say Netflix, turn on Chromecast button in Netflix, TV turns on, switches to Chromecast HDMI port
  • TV on but doing something else - pull up app as above, TV automatically switches to Chromecast
  • Any other behavior of switching back will depend on the model and what happens on the cable box
  • I watch Chromecast and regular TV - just changing a TV channel on my remote turns off Chromecast and takes me out to regular TV
So - can you watch HDMI 1 while casting to HDMI 2? No - that's not in the nature of things.

Do you really need pass-through to make it easy for dad? Maybe not, depending on how well the other devices and that TV are dealing with HDMI-CEC.

Does that answer anything not already covered? :eek:

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
No one said it would be 'too difficult' so lets not take things out of context. As I've stated several times, this is for a 65 year old man who is EXTREMELY tech ignorant. I'm trying to find something that is as easy as possible.

What I would *prefer* is the HDMI signal from cable pass through the CC (like google tv did, and xboxone). I know its asking a lot, but there it is. Sounds like to get it to do what I want (and lets be real, as a consumer I do not think that is asking too much) I would need a XboxOne or GoogleTv
Was not trying to take anything out of context, I did not understand what you were getting at. Perhaps my wording was off, sorry.

What you are describing isn't going to happen with any streaming stick as they don't have an HDMI input. However, if his TV supports ARC, which is likely if it's not incredibly old, it should be able to switch back and forth as signals trigger. At worst, it would switch to cc, but he would have to turn the cable box off and back on if he can't figure out changing the input himself.

Chromecast does not have any apps built into it either, BTW. It requires the user to send it something to play. If you are wanting a more stand alone device, you'll want a fire stick or roku.

Upvote 0
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC

I see, ARC - audio return channel - is the next paragraph down in the linked article above.

I don't have/use that, so I was unfamiliar.

Anyway, you had the right idea, it's just HDMI-CEC though instead of HDMI-ARC, because it's about control rather than audio.

Samsung calls it Anynet+, when you tune away from the Chromecast, the TV gives a toast message saying that Anynet+ is shutting down.

Upvote 0
I'd say give the automatic switching on the TV a go. If it doesn't work and switching is a problem, give one of these a go for $5. It should do the trick.

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-3-In-1-Out-Switch-Cable/dp/B0018DQYQ2
That's very cool.

However, depending on what the other devices are doing, it may not work with either a Fire Stick or a Chromecast.

After you're done with either, they both go into a sideshow presentation mode. (Frankly the content on the Chromecast is so good we'll just let it idle like that sometimes. I haven't had enough time with that on my Fire Stick but what little I've seen so far has also been promising.)

That device description on Amazon says, "Note: Auto switch function only works for components that do not output continuous voltage over HDMI port when turned off."

Neither dongle turns off per se, they go into a stand by mode so that they can respond to remote commands.

That may or may not be enough for the 3 in 1 cable to sort out what's desired.

Interesting find however!

Upvote 0
That may or may not be enough for the 3 in 1 cable to sort out what's desired.

Interesting find however!
The only reason I know about it is I don't have a spare HDMI ports on my TV for Chromecast :( and I read the part about it not necessarily being compatible. When I last looked those cables were $40. I may grab on at $5 and a Chromecast and see if it works.:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones