• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am I being tracked

Die Hard

Lurker
Apr 6, 2010
Hey Guys, A bunch of us at work have been issued eris'. We have some concerns that the company is tracking us via the location service.

How can I tell? I have been told that the HTC Location Pickers was a dead giveaway.

I had mine replaced on the first day due to a "Technical Issue", and no one at the company has touched mine since....

A little data please!

I don't think that you are trackable, other than via the Latitude app (or by VZW/Google), but if the Eris' are owned by your company, I guess it might be possible.

You're only transmitting location if you see the target (triangulation) or dish (GPS) icons on your status bar.

You can always turn off the location service, I guess.

Upvote 0
Hey Guys, A bunch of us at work have been issued eris'. We have some concerns that the company is tracking us via the location service....

A little data please!
Yes, they can track you and you'll never know. Turn off the phone when you don't want your location known. Think about it for a sec. If your phone can tell you how to get from point A to point B it knows your location. It's easy after that.

Upvote 0
Yes, they can track you and you'll never know. Turn off the phone when you don't want your location known. Think about it for a sec. If your phone can tell you how to get from point A to point B it knows your location. It's easy after that.

Depending on how paranoid you are you might want to pull the battery too! ;)

Upvote 0
Hey Guys, A bunch of us at work have been issued eris'. We have some concerns that the company is tracking us via the location service.

How can I tell? I have been told that the HTC Location Pickers was a dead giveaway.

I had mine replaced on the first day due to a "Technical Issue", and no one at the company has touched mine since....

A little data please!

Do you work for the FBI or CIA? I doubt any corporate company is going to track you down minute to minute. This post is a bit paranoid. :eek:

Upvote 0
you can be tracked easily... if you dont know what to look for. look for an app called Lookout (there is one more app out there very similar to lookout), if its installed check its settings to see it its got the location settings on. If so, with the GPS it can track you within 4 Meters as to where your at. I have this installed on my phone, and my wife just in case we lose our phones. But, if I wanted to, I could easily log into the account to see where the phones are at any time. But, I dont have a reason to do so.

If you go into settings and turn off the GPS you have almost nothing to worry about. Unless of course another application uses GPS and cell tower location, in which case your jsut out of luck. The phones, at this time, can't completely lock applications for work purposes. At least not that I know of (until full root access is in the market place on the offical roms). You should be able to remove any applications such as Lookout. But then again, if the phones are work computers the company has every right to know exactly where their assets are going. I've been in IT for 15+ years. if thats a company issued phone you have the right to use it and not abuse it. But, unless your a trucker or a driver for the most part companies could care less as to where your going with their phone.

If you are a driver for a company, then chances are you are being tracked as far as where your vehicle is going. It is standard practice to put a GPS hidden on company vehicles to track milage, speed, and location of all company motor assets. GPS units are a dime a dozen and so small you wouldn't even know you had one on the car your driving even if it was right on the dashboard hehe.

Upvote 0
Just so you guys know, I am in industrial sales, and the manager DO want to know if their sales people are in a plant or out playing golf. The company already tracks how many phone calls the inside sales group gets a day to try and gauge their productivity.

You are not paranoid is everyone is out to get you! (Company Motto)

I just want to be able to play an occasional golf game in peace

Upvote 0
Just so you guys know, I am in industrial sales, and the manager DO want to know if their sales people are in a plant or out playing golf. The company already tracks how many phone calls the inside sales group gets a day to try and gauge their productivity.

You are not paranoid is everyone is out to get you! (Company Motto)

I just want to be able to play an occasional golf game in peace

If they are paying the bill they they do have the right to know what is going on with your activities. You might think about getting another phone for personal use. Several of my buds do this so that they can do what they want without worry.

Upvote 0
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Reactions: jhewit22 and W4LLY
Upvote 0
You accept the phone. Deal with it. I manage our phones and wish I had the time to see wtf ppl do with company property. Is there an app like blacktrack for droids?
I don't know that the OP was expressing anger or looking for sympathy. He just wanted to know whether he might be better off not taking his phone along with him when he doesn't want his work checking up on him.

Upvote 0
so would you just go play a round of golf in the middle of the day instead of doing work at work.......

airplane mode when you don't want to be tracked is probably the best way. I have two phones, one for work and a personal one. With two phones you can turn your work phone off but still use your personal one. If you use the two phone method you can use google voice and have some calls sent to your personal phone. There was a guy that I use to work with that would put his phone in the dryer to block the cell signal and would say he was in a dead zone so he wasn't able to take the support calls. You can try that however there is a reason that person doesn't work with us anymore.

Upvote 0
Of course they can track you, its perfectly legal and corporations like Nextel have been doing this for years now. FCC E911 regulations mandated handset locating technology at the end of 2005, and the rest is history.

Make up some story the phone is costing you sales because it drops calls, and use your own phone. Or don't screw off on company time...2 pretty straightforward choices. Turning location off and then inadvertently back on again accidentally could cost you you're job.

Upvote 0
Wow guys, why all the hostility? I am not questioning the right of the company to track their assets, but I don't like the "Big Brother" approach.

I little detail for those who have never been in sales: My phone never stops ringing, day, night, holidays, weekends, vacation, it doesn't matter. My wife is mad at me now, because I spent half the holiday weekend on the phone. It is just part of the job....

I am not trying to cheat the company out of any time, they owe me such a time deficit that I will never catch up.

I am not complaining, I LOVE what I do, I just don't want a bunch of s**t from managers that have enough meaningless time to track their employees.

They can always judge a salesperson by there performance.....

Upvote 0
If they are paying the bill they they do have the right to know what is going on with your activities. You might think about getting another phone for personal use. Several of my buds do this so that they can do what they want without worry.
Best answer yet. If you feel they are tracking you or possibly monitoring your whereabouts then they probably are. Only use the phone when you are actually.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones