• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am I being tracked

There is an app called Mobile Defense that can be used to track a phone, but as far as *I* know it can't really be done without your knowledge. To start tracking there is a gibberish text sent to your phone. To the best of my knowledge though, it disconnects after a set length of time. What's particularly 'sneaky' about this app is that it does a fine job of hiding itself on your phone - so that if you phone is stolen the thief can't see that it's there and just uninstall the app. It doesn't show up in All Apps, it doesn't show as running in any task manager I've seen.
Knowing that this app is out there, I'd have to assume that there is one out there that would allow someone to track your phone without your knowing.
I agree that turning the phone off or going to airplane mode is your best defense. Do that for a while, if they ARE tracking you you'll soon know. Because some IT guy is going to want to look at your phone, because apparently it's not working correctly...

Upvote 0
Hey Guys, A bunch of us at work have been issued eris'. We have some concerns that the company is tracking us via the location service.

How can I tell? I have been told that the HTC Location Pickers was a dead giveaway.

I had mine replaced on the first day due to a "Technical Issue", and no one at the company has touched mine since....

A little data please!

The easiest way to find out would be to buddy up with someone in the IT department or similar department such as telecommunications, or which ever handles the technical property for your company. They would probably know since they implemented the service for the company.

On a side note many companies track their employees. Two off the top of my head are UPS and FedEx. I know that's a different line of work, but many companies that provide a company vehicle use the same service. I believe Qualcomm has provided the service for over a decade.

I know at the company I work for, which is a large corporation, will not monitor your internet usage, track you, etc. unless your manager has reason to believe that you need to be (i.e. poor performance).

Upvote 0
im just curious to how old u are.
cause u want to play golf on company time and worried about getting caught.
right?
then we give u tips on NOT getting caught over and over and u seem to not want to take the advise.
its simple, yes u can be tracked.
they probably r tracking u if the company issued phone is android!
its the easiest way to track u.
if u r worried, take the battery out when u r doing wrong (cause u r).
try airplane mode...but phones can be tracked when they are powered on...
the mic can be activated also.
read this and take our advise and move on:

MobiStealth - Monitor Kids, Catch Cheating Spouse, Android Smart Phones. Monitoring software for Mobile Phones.

also this:

http://www.mobile-spy.com/

Upvote 0
If you are in sales, why aren't you taking clients to play golf? Sounds like an easy overall fix to me. You get to play golf, do your job and write all of it off. Win win if you ask me.

To the question at hand....yes, they can track you. One of the companies I work with does this to all their salespeople and delivery people. They want to know where everyone is at all times.

Upvote 0
If you're out golfing when you should be at work, you're kinda screwed if you take your phone with you and leave it on. Best bet is to shut it off before you leave the office, and turn it back on once you are in a "safe" location (the golf course parking lot doesn't count). If you get called out on it, tell them the battery died and you didn't notice. Once you did notice, you plugged it in and turned it back on.

This will probably only work a few times before they can you, so be careful.

-Mike

Upvote 0
A bit off topic, but still pretty creepy: I came into a Verizon store today to get a charger cable replaced, obviously with my phone. The greeter rep in the store asked me for my name to put me into the queue and I only told her my first name, without my cell #

Turns out there was another guy in the store already waiting who has the same name as me. I literally watched on the LCD display as my name went on there WITH MY LAST INITIAL to differentiate us to the staff. Very, very weird.

My GPS was on at the time. Comments?

Upvote 0
A bit off topic, but still pretty creepy: I came into a Verizon store today to get a charger cable replaced, obviously with my phone. The greeter rep in the store asked me for my name to put me into the queue and I only told her my first name, without my cell #

Turns out there was another guy in the store already waiting who has the same name as me. I literally watched on the LCD display as my name went on there WITH MY LAST INITIAL to differentiate us to the staff. Very, very weird.

My GPS was on at the time. Comments?

umm...im young and u r scaring me mr!:eek:

Upvote 0
I don't blame you for not wanting to have your world invaded and IMO honesty is the best policy. You could ask them and see what they say. It seems like from this thread that they can track you. If we presume that they can track you and that they are, they will know when you go offline.

Ask 'em and then establish times you are "available" and times when you aren't.

At that point, this is the same as not liking keyboard loggers on your keyboard - they may have a right to do it, but you certainly have a right to not like it and find some where that doesn't do it.

Best of luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones