Am I charged ETF if I Order Early?

Last Updated:

1. katamari

katamari Active Member This Topic's Starter

My VZW contract is up on the 18th of this month. How soon can I order a phone with T-mo from google.com/phone and avoid an ETF? Do I have to wait until after the 18th to place an order or can I order it earlier and activate it after the 18th? (I'm porting my phone number to T-mo, if it makes any difference.)

Advertisement
  2. Nadrazi

Nadrazi Member

From Verizon's customer agreement:

"If you cancel a line of Service, or if we cancel it for good cause, during its contract term, you'll have to pay an early termination fee. If your contract term results from your purchase of an advanced device after November 14, 2009, your early termination fee will be $350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you complete. (For a complete list of advanced devices, check verizonwireless.com/advanceddevices.) Otherwise, your early termination fee will be $175 minus $5 for each full month of your contract term that you complete."

Meaning, you'll still owe $60 (if you are subject to the $175 ETF) or $120 (if you are subject to the $350 ETF). Also, your cancellation won't be effective until the last day of your billing cycle, so you'll still be charged for the full month's service. Doesn't make much sense to break it now, and you might as well just wait until the 18th.

If you really want the phone now just buy it unsubsidized. You can play with it until your Verizon contract is up, then port your number to Tmobile with a cheaper Plus plan and no contract. You'll even save $130 in the long run.