• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
haha well one thing is that it definitely gives you a little bit more control with zooming in and out in different places (such as the browser or looking at a picture). I find that I don't mind double tapping to get in, sometimes its not the perfect size but for the most part the screen is so crisp and it zooms in and formats the text really well so reading is very easy.

As far as other uses, multi-touch on something like the keyboard would be phenomenal. I don't know if you've noticed, but if you try and really get going on the virtual keyboard, it will start completely missing presses of keys and you just won't be able to type out words anywhere near correctly. This is due to the fact that the screen only detects one finger down at a time, and when typing really quickly, finger touches often overlap. Its not terrible because it picks up where your second finger is as soon as the first is let go, but its not fast enough to handle very fast accurate timing. Iphone started off the same way. I remember typing on there and being like man, this is horrible. But since adding support for multitouch, I can fly through texting or emailing on the iphone. That is the only function and benefit that I really miss, and once it comes to the droid it will become everything I ever hoped it could be :)

Upvote 0
What exactly is the huge need for multi-touch? I guess I'm missing the boat because I see this all over the place as being a huge negative for the Droid but I don't even really know why. I get the pinch to zoom thing but is that it? Where is multi-touch used?

I'd rather it had TV Out, Flash support, and or tru-conference calling before it had multi-touch. It would make browsing a little better for those small, hard to click items, but everyone has their own requirements.

Upvote 0
What exactly is the huge need for multi-touch? I guess I'm missing the boat because I see this all over the place as being a huge negative for the Droid but I don't even really know why. I get the pinch to zoom thing but is that it? Where is multi-touch used?

I really enjoyed being able to pinch the screen to zoom in and out of a webpage or while viewing images. The Droid is still functional without it, but it's something I will miss.

Also, multitouch makes typing on the keyboard easier/faster for some people.

There are other uses too, but these are my big two.

I still don't understand why the US version of Droid has multi-touch disabled while in other areas it works fine. Few different theories out there as to why.

Upvote 0
Why is it that whenever people think of multitouch, they immediately jump to pinch zoom? Sure, pinch zoom is cool and will appease the ipod drones, but it is hardly all there is to multitouch.

Aside from the aforementioned typing issues it would resolve, there are tons of apps that could take advantage of multitouch as well. Music apps such as drums and stuff... Emulators such as nesoid that have on-screen pads... Really, the number of apps that could make better use of the multitouch are limitless. It isn't ALL about the pinch zoom.

PS - as many people have already said... Droid DOES have multitouch. Yes, the US version. They just need to make better use of it.

Upvote 0
Even though, you may not think it's that great, the pinch to zoom does help a lot in the map app over long distances. I dislike having to use the zoom out button multiple times then swipe the screen to get a good overall view of my destination overview. Pinching to zoom in and out would make this process much quicker/simpler.

Upvote 0
The only reason I want multitouch on my Droid is for typing. It would just make it so much more precise. I am able to type relatively quickly on the touch keyboard, but the key response doesn't keep up with my fingers.

As for pinch zoom - I've used plenty of iPhones - I hate it. I prefer the zoom on the Droid, which any touch screen can do. I have yet to have it cause me any issues while browsing the web.

Multitouch would be nice, but technically it's already supported. Some apps use it, so all we really need is for app developers to start incorporating it into their programs and it'll be fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones