• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am I doing anything wrong? (Task Killers/Memory)

If you can't have a discussion without fighting, don't post. This constant bickering between members is scaring away newer users and it has stop.

I can't see what you're talking about, moderator. Honest. I've read the entire thread this morning and have learned a bit from it.

No disrespect to you intended, but where is the "bickering?" This thread looks productive; users are offering their experiences.

(back on topic)

OTD asked, "How often are you guys restarting your phones? I hardly ever restart mine."

Mine gets rebooted after the browser cache is cleared, and that's done at random times now when I've noticed I've been using the browser a lot. It's an old habit from the way I use my computer (when the Windows 7 hard drive is in, and back in the early days of Windows ;).. I now use Mint Linux by default and don't do the reboot thing with that OS).

Upvote 0
i restart my phone maybe every 5th day or longer.

i do use ATM, the kill switch widget, maybe 1 or 2 times a day...other then that there is no task management.

i do not back out of the browser cause i always forget too, in dolphin you can hold the back key and it will give you quit options

i get good battery life (easy 1 day)

i get very little lag, even running known laggers (like dxtop)

Upvote 0
You rebel! ;):D

BTW, I don't believe that ATM will get rid of the cache. Clearing it may reduce your lag.

i dont get too much lag...i think that has to do with using the dolphin browser setting it to save to the SD.
i dont clear that either...
waiting for android to get like winmo to have an app to clear ALL cache! :)
wait...is it one?
SOMEONE LET ME KNOW!

Upvote 0
i dont get too much lag...i think that has to do with using the dolphin browser setting it to save to the SD.
i dont clear that either...
waiting for android to get like winmo to have an app to clear ALL cache! :)
wait...is it one?
SOMEONE LET ME KNOW!

I think there is an app that will do that, but it is only available to those with root access.

Upvote 0
I think there is an app that will do that, but it is only available to those with root access.

this slightly makes me wanna cry...i mean...why is it that the eris is the last android phone to be rooted!
i cannot WAIT until the nexus one is on verizon...or the HTC incredible! :)
then, soon as they drop the eris will get rooted that day lmao! :D

Upvote 0
wow its really becoming "The advance task manager people Vs The NO task manager people" :)

i think its a great task manager that manages your apps that are running. you can kill them by shaking the phone setting intervals to automatically kill task or just hit end task. u can also make a widget to have one touch kill all. and you can exclude apps that u do not want to be killed.

Upvote 0
wow its really becoming "The advance task manager people Vs The NO task manager people" :)

i think its a great task manager that manages your apps that are running. you can kill them by shaking the phone setting intervals to automatically kill task or just hit end task. u can also make a widget to have one touch kill all. and you can exclude apps that u do not want to be killed.

come check out http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/42114-yes-you-need-task-killer-app-eris-period.html
you'll see how heated the TK vs. NO TK is going

Upvote 0

See that is just it. I am not really against task killers, I am just against others forcing them down people's throats. When someone tells another user that they NEED to install a task killer/manager I think they need to reevaluate that. The first step towards determining a problem is to find out the source and then figure out the treatment. If someone finds out that they need a task killer/manager on their phone after that, then good for them. Why the nut job started targeting me as the one to be proven wrong I have no idea.

Upvote 0

You can have your garage filled with day-glow surfboard polish.

You can make potato and chopped ham soup instead of coffee in the morning.

You can dress up like Darth Vader when you go to church.

You can do all sorts of things that others don't feel the need to do.

And it's free.

Upvote 0
Ok, I would like to know whats up with this? On my phone right now using Astro Process Manager my phone is showing only 28 mbs of RAM. The processes running are as following:
Google Partner Setup - 11.05 mbs
Touch Input - 16.35 mbs
System Tray Monitor - 11.70 mbs
Calender - 12.65 mbs
Add Program Activity - 12.87 mbs
Android System - 25.18 mbs
PC Synchronization - 12.40 mbs
Lookout Mobile Security - 12.45 mbs
WeatherBug Elite - 19.57 mbs
Visual VM - 14.05 mbs
Dialer - 19.98 mbs
LocBot Pro - 15.02 mbs
Browser - 19.22 mbs
Mail - 16.07 mbs
Gmail 14.13 mbs
Messages - 15.91 mbs
HTC Sense - 29.95 mbs
Astro - 16.73 mbs
AudioManager - 11.50 mbs

Now my Phone has been sitting here idle for about 10 mins or so and is lagging terribly. Should the system be shutting some things down to free some of that memory back up or do I just have to open another program so that it will reallocate some of the memory? My Eris, which btw I think kicks ass runs at about this much RAM everyday. I would love to know how all these people have 50, 60, 70 mbs of RAM constantly?

Upvote 0
I'd say you need to clear some cache. My browser is only holding 6.87mb, and 4.49 of that is cache (which I just cleared). Your mail, gmail and messages are holding more ram than mine also, but I suppose that could be data and not just cache.

In case you don't know, you can clear your cache in settings/applications. Sort them by size then start looking at/clearing the cache of the apps that are taking up the most space.

Upvote 0
I just downloaded Astro real quick and pulled up the process manager.

Looking at apps CPU/Mem:
Touch input 0/14.05
Messages 0/10.49
Google Voice 0/9.38
Dialer 1/17.34
Settings 0/11.31
Mail 0/10.77
Android system 9/25.77
PC Synchronization 0/10.22
HTC Sense 0/31.25
Clock 0/10.38
Calendar 0/12.98
SportsTap 0/15.23
FeedR 0/11.09
WeatherBug Elite 0/11.49
EasyMoney 0/11.06
Slacker 0/10.39
Astro 13/15.83

I am pretty sure this is talking about actual RAM usage though. I am showing 68 MB of ROM free right now, which is what others are probably talking about too.

Upvote 0
I think they are too. But as you know ROM is where the program is stored, RAM is what the program is using to run smoothly, and CPU usage is what percentage the processor is allocating towards a given process. If you a process is working really hard then it will have a high CPU usage. That's why you would see the CPU usage go up say when you open a program. But the RAM is what is actually getting used when multiple programs are running. The more RAM you have the more programs you can run or the faster an individual program can run. Thats always been my understanding if I'm wrong in that with the Android system please let me know. Linux Is a new system for me. I'm more used to how Windows works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones