• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Am I ever going to get the new update?

Moto said that anyone who installed to the leaked 2.2 wouldn't be able to update.
You need to SBF back to 2.1 and then you can pull the update.

sbf'ing back to 2.1 from 2.2 will permanently brick OP's phone. Not a good thing to do.

OP. You can manually upgrade your phone, or sbf your phone to the full 2.3.15 and then update OTA to 2.2.1 (2.3.40) if you wish. Files and directions: TBH announces Froyo System SBF and RSDLite 4.8

Steven

PS: I have to move this to the root section, fyi.

Upvote 0
sbf'ing back to 2.1 from 2.2 will permanently brick OP's phone. Not a good thing to do.

OP. You can manually upgrade your phone, or sbf your phone to the full 2.3.15 and then update OTA to 2.2.1 (2.3.40) if you wish. Files and directions: TBH announces Froyo System SBF and RSDLite 4.8

Steven

PS: I have to move this to the root section, fyi.

Steven,

You CAN SBF back to 2.1 from the LEAKED 2.2 (2.3.9) but not from the OTA 2.2 (2.3.15).

Upvote 0
Hey, so I'm in the same boat as the OP here. I'm on 2.3.9 and never bothered to do anything more. Now I'm looking to get current. What's the best way? I could SBF back to 2.1 and get the OTA. I'd then re-root with z4, right? Is this the only way to upgrade the baseband?

What's the alternative? I could upgrade through the leaks, right (I downloaded most along the way, just never applied)? What's the right sequence? I'm assuming I can't just jump to the latest?

Many thanks.

Upvote 0
Since I still unsure about Sbf's and flashing I don't know exactly what to do to get back on track. I've read most of the threads that address these but everyone seems to have their opinion on how best to do it. Is there someone that can point me in the direction that would take me step by step through the process. I hate to be such a newb but I don't want to mess up the phone if I can help it. At some point I want to root but I am somewhat the same about rooting. These forums are a great help and I really appreciate the support.

Upvote 0
Since I still unsure about Sbf's and flashing I don't know exactly what to do to get back on track. I've read most of the threads that address these but everyone seems to have their opinion on how best to do it. Is there someone that can point me in the direction that would take me step by step through the process. I hate to be such a newb but I don't want to mess up the phone if I can help it. At some point I want to root but I am somewhat the same about rooting. These forums are a great help and I really appreciate the support.

first decide if you want to go the sbf route or the leaked out version route. everyone has their own opinion about which way you should do it ( like I personally would sbf ) but once you figure out which way you want to go we can walk you through that direction

Upvote 0
If I think I can do it without crashing my phone I would like to try the Sbf route. Many of the threads describe how to do it but they speak as if everyone understands the acronyms. I would need for some step by step directions if at all possible. I was able to update my phone to the leaked version originally but the directions were very clear. I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks Again:)

Upvote 0
If I want to sbf back to 2.1 and then let the phone naturally update to the latest update what the the easiest way to do it. I am a newb when it comes to this so I need pretty easy to follow instructions. Thanks:thinking:
going back to 2.1 depends on your bootloader version
and the easist thing is to follow the link thatsund0wn posted. its the same OTA just in a zip..check your bootloader version, and post back if you still need help.. ive used the .340 update zip and have done the .320 complete sbf then sbf'd to the system only.340 file, both do the same thing.
to check bootloader..While phone is off, hold down the power+volume down and the camera button for 3 seconds

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones