• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Am I ignorant about features? My laptop rings when I get a phone call

toastman91

Lurker
Aug 20, 2012
So I don't come here often and haven't really done too much with my galaxy S3 like I used to do with my previous phones, so I am thinking I am an ignorant consumer. However, recently when I was killing time on my laptop (windows 8) I noticed a random ringing noise I had never heard before. Later, I noticed the ringing noise once again another time, however this time I paid attention to the fact that I got a phone call a few seconds after the ringing started. I tested it a few more times and came to the conclusion the two were paired. However, I didn't have bluetooth turned on with my phone nor my laptop, also I have never paired the two since I just bought the laptop recently. I assume the phone is using the computer as a headset accessory, but it makes no sense that this functionality works with no bluetooth nor does it make any sense that this feature never worked with my old laptop (Windows 7) that I did actually pair with the S3. Is this a Windows 8 thing or is this some sort of bug that allowed them to unintentionally pair without me knowing? Either way it's a nice feature I never knew existed

Do you use Google voice....if no quit reading.
Do you use gmail and was it open?
Is yes gv was what was ringing in gmail

Omg I'm an idiot, I totally forgot I use GV for voicemail transcripts since Sprint's blows bushels of D. I didn't have google voice up at the time, but I am sure I had a chrome window open at the time that I was signed in to. Thanks for proving I'm not insane or being bugged, just ignorant :p

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones