• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am I in the minority?

Have you had big problems with your Desire?

• No I've had no real problems

Votes: 111 70.7%
  • Yes I've had some problems or severe battery problems

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • No real problems but not happy with battery life

Votes: 38 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nacatomi

Android Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2010
Hi,
I've had my Desire for about a month now and been a member on the forum for about the same. I keep reading about people having what look like major problems with the Desire. From my experience, other than the initial battery life which has sorted itself out now, I've not had anything that youwould would call a bug\problem at all (although that's probably the kiss of death). I was just wondering what other peoples overall experiences have been so I'm starting this poll. Please expand with any details you might think are important.

My phone is a lot better since putting on MoDaCo 3.1. Battery life is not great but its not that much worse than my blackberry and the screen is twice the size so I can't complain. I wouldn't want to take it to the jungle or anything incase of emergencies though.

Its pretty reliable. I have some Android niggles, missing features etc but nothing big.

Overall I'm very happy with it.

Upvote 0
No real issues for me - I certainly wouldnt call the battery life good though. Probably just about manages "acceptable" but I have a desk job and can charge it for my PC anyway so its a non-issue for me.

Love the device on the whole, its been fantastic. Only things I didnt like were limited app space, but now I'm running a2sd so problem solved.

Finally put a froyo rom on it over the weekend and it absoloutely flies along now :) very happy bunny.

Upvote 0
I think it's only recently that mass market consumers have started to make real use of their smartphones potential.

Personally I've been using smartphones for quite a few years now (on a side note I think Three should be recognised for the contribution they made in bringing the game along with ideas such as X-Series. I was streaming TV from my Slingbox, accessing files remotely from my PC, Skype-ing, emailing and web browsing on my Nokia N80 back in 2006).

Obviously using this kind of functionality drains your battery - moreso the more you use it. As such, I've gotten used to having to charge my phone every night - it's now just part of my routine to put my phone on charge when I go to bed.

I get the impression that a lot of people have either (a) had smartphones that they've not really exploited regularly before, or (b) are coming from non-smartphones. Expectations about battery life need to be viewed in relation to this - a great phone like the Desire makes it so easy and pleasant to use it for all kinds of stuff that people are obviously using it to do more and more often than they have with phones before.

Notwithstanding all the above, I'd still say that the battery on the Desire could do with lasting say 10% longer than it does now to guarantee lasting a full day (on very heavy usage days I sometimes have to give it a little top-up charge in the evening), but don't think much more than this is a realistic expectation until battery technology can come up with something radically different.

Upvote 0
I have not had issues myself but my missus has a Desire also and her's has not been right since day one. When she types it sounds like something is rattling inside compared to mine also when the flash switches on and off there is a fairly loud noise which mine does not do.

She keeps losing calls and getting random messages sent also which i know is an issue with some handsets.

Worst thing is she thinks I tried them before she got home and took the good one! Women!

Upvote 0
Personally I've been using smartphones for quite a few years now (on a side note I think Three should be recognised for the contribution they made in bringing the game along with ideas such as X-Series. I was streaming TV from my Slingbox, accessing files remotely from my PC, Skype-ing, emailing and web browsing on my Nokia N80 back in 2006).

Obviously using this kind of functionality drains your battery - moreso the more you use it. As such, I've gotten used to having to charge my phone every night - it's now just part of my routine to put my phone on charge when I go to bed.

I wholeheartedly agree, as a fellow long term smartphone user its now part of my ritual to pop my phone on charge last thing at night. If it needs a topup during the day have have chargers in my car and a charger\pc at work. I can be a fairly heavy user from time to time and understand that this level of functionality comes with a price - battery life.

Smartphones have evolved into very powerful machines over the years as I have used them and they are now getting to the point that they are what they were always supposed to be - a jack of all trades an acceptable replacement for extra devices that can be carried with you always.

Anyhoo, thats me off the soapbox, but I'm pleased to see that most people have had the same experience as me.

Upvote 0
I have a few minor niggles, mostly with HTC's apps/widgets: -

The weather widget says "no weather data available" for my home town when automatically detecting my location, but if I enter in my home town as a manual location, it works fine. Also, when initially viewing the weather widget, if I don't manually update the weather before sliding my finger on the screen to change locations, Sense crashes. I've tried a factory reset and the same issue is reproducible every time.

The email app deletes mail off the server after it's received even though I have that option unchecked.

The news app is set to update once per hour, but it doesn't and I have to update it manually.

I can't update my list of Facebook contacts as it times out with "Connection error", although it seems HTC are aware of this and working on a fix.

I would love for the battery life to be longer, but I accept that this isn't a flaw with the device and it's just the nature of the beast when it comes to using smart phones, especially ones that have screens as large as the Desire's. I'd like HTC to make a dock for the phone so I can have it on my desk and just drop the phone into it to charge it. I know that docks like this are available, but the ones I've seen have not received good reviews.

Overall I love the phone despite these niggles, but I hope that HTC can work the kinks out ready for the next update.

Upvote 0
Only one week in and a smart phone noob (I wont count iphone 2g) and I'm really enjoying it. No problems. Slight annoyance with not getting data when 3G drops - I need to manually switch to 2G to get GPRS. Having said that I'd probably switch down to 2G anyway to conserve battery. If I use the phone like I did my old iphone (mostly voice and some sms) then I'd say battery consumption was on a par. Looking forward to Froyo.

Upvote 0
No major problems as such although:-

Weather app has played up for the first time today.

Gmail not syncing today.

I did have the SD card issue when I first got the phone ie regularly not recognising media on it. Took it out and put it back in and *touch wood* haven't had a problem since.

Battery life, as discussed ad nauseum, is poor.

Sound quality on calls poor? Will start a seperate thread about this, out of interest.

Love the phone overall - let's hope a lot more high quality apps start coming through.

Upvote 0
I find call quality to be quite fine tbh.

That's good to hear. To be honest I rarely make or receive calls on my mobile but have had a couple of mates call me recently and both times the call wasn't clear - I had to ask them to repeat themselves a few times.

They were both calling from mobiles so maybe the problem was their end, or just a bad connection. They didn't have a problem hearing me clearly though.

Upvote 0
Had my Desire for nearly 2 weeks, and I learn more cool stuff about it every day! I think I have it set up and working just about right, thanks to advice on these boards and the addition of a few well-chosen widgets.

But I do have a few niggles (some of which may be solved by adding the correct app!):

Battery - now getting a day's use. Could be better, but no complaints considering how much it does.

Contacts - I wish I could associate each contact to my Google account from the edit contact screen, instead of exporting and importing to SD card (thereby creating duplicate contacts). It's a Google system, you would think they would include this functionality to get more people using Google services.

Sound - better quality twin speakers would have been nice. Sometimes the audio sounds 'cheap' and way below the standard I would expect from one of the worlds best smartphones.

PC connectivity - I really can't believe that there's no dedicated system for adding content and apps through a PC/Mac connection. I already use iTunes for my iPod and the sync features offered by iTunes was a big factor making me lean towards the iPhone when I was researching smartphones.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with it.

Upvote 0
Contacts - I wish I could associate each contact to my Google account from the edit contact screen, instead of exporting and importing to SD card (thereby creating duplicate contacts). It's a Google system, you would think they would include this functionality to get more people using Google services.

They actually do! Google sycncs your contacts (caladar and apps) to your gmail account. If you log into your account and find your contact list, it'll have all of your phone contacts and you can edit from there, save, and your phone has the new edited contacts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones