1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Am I killing my battery by leaving my Nexus 4 on the dock?

1. runekey

runekey Active Member

So I just got my Nexus 4 about a month ago, and have bought this dock for my desk, where my phone sits in whenever I am at my desktop (probably around 4 hours a day). While it's charging in the dock, I frequently send/receive texts and do other phone-ish stuff with it periodically.

Awhile ago I heard somewhere that charging your phone in the middle of the day while you're actively using it destroys your long-term battery life. Is this true? Should I only charge my phone at night?

Generally I wouldn't be worried about this, but the N4's non-changeable battery has me concerned for it's longevity.

Advertisement
    :
  2. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

After reading your post, I looked up a dock for my phone, sorry it's not like yours, but it does say this about mine.

My phone also has a removable battery but I would assume yours is okay to use it while charging.
  3. runekey

runekey Active Member

That makes me feel a little better, but I doubt the dock manual would mention that it destroys your battery with extended use if it did.
  4. SIII groupie

SIII groupie Well-Known Member

Don't stress or worry. Unless it gets high temps. Heat is an enemy of Li-Ion and similar. They do not suffer "memory effect" that other do. Meaning you don't have to worry about partial charges. It is recommended to periodically do a full discharge. Before anyone says that is bad you can't do a real full discharge the battery won't let you. But do down to what the phone lets you to keep the battery from atrophy maybe once a month. That is for anyone not just docks.

If you want to learn about batts, Google BatteryU.
    runekey likes this.
  5. runekey

runekey Active Member

Thanks, that makes sense!
  6. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

No more then when your not using the dock. Most mobile devices monitor the charge, so that you won't over charge the battery. I have an Atrix 4G and I use both the standard dock, as an alarm clock, and Lapdock as a netbook computer. My phone is always being charged in both docks, at least 11hrs a day, and I haven't noticed any abnormal decrease in the batter or increase in heat. I would say that my phone is being charged more then not. I am still using the stock battery, but have a backup battery. I switch between the two every week, just to keep both batteries fresh. (Only been doing this for about 3 months.) At least once a month I let both batteries go down to about 30%.