Am I really rooted?

Last Updated:

1. verngator

verngator Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Followed the various tutorials to MANUALLY root my Hero as I am not ready to flash a new ROM - just wanted the ability to delete Sprint bloatware & free up memory.

Everything seemed fine.

Then I followed these directions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=581635

to remove several Sprint apps -
    Sprint_NFL.apk
    Sprint_Nscar.apk
    htc.TwitterWidget.apk
    Quickoffice_HTC_1.0.1.apk
    com.htc.TwitterWidget.apk

as well as any associated .odex files - but I still have very little memory left - only 34 MB.

I'm pretty sure those apps are gone - I don't see them when I browse the files on my Hero, and they aren't in the app list. But now I'm feeling paranoid.

Forget the title of this post - I'm pretty sure that I'm rooted because I can use the wireless tethering app.

Better question/issue: Are there other ways to save internal memory?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

have you rebooted since removing those apps?

Some ROM's will free up a lot more internal memory. For example, the DamageControl 2.1 ROM appears to take up very little internal memory, as I've got 126MB free at the moment.

I do sometimes wonder if the amount of internal memory is making much of a difference to any processes. Using other ROM's, I've had as low as 40MB, and everything still ran extremely smoothly (unlike my computer, which has this annoying flashing small group of pixels on occasion...especially while I'm typing...extremely annoying)

3. PrO1210

PrO1210 Well-Known Member

I rooted and deleted the bloatware just like you and actually lost RAM for some reason but I've been down to 15mb or lower and my phone was fine but I did get a warning about low memory...

4. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

it's not unusual to not see the internal memory used go down since the part of internal memory you removed the stock apps from isn't the same part that you install regular apps too.. so it's not reported along with the normal internal memory..