• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am I taking a big step backwards????

SpencerIan

Lurker
Jan 31, 2016
I'm tired of owning a phone that seemingly everybody has (Galaxy 6 Edge) so I am replacing it with an LG Nexus 5X. Am I going to miss my Edge tremendously or did I make a good choice???? I didn't want a large phone like the Nexus 6P but rather a similar sized phone..........

I'm a huge Nexus fan so in my mind you've taken a major step forward. :D That said, you might find there's a big adjustment going from TouchWiz to plain old Android. If you are using a 3rd party launcher, that might make the transition easier.

If you find some familiar 'Wiz features missing, before condemning the 5x, ask us and we can give you some alternatives (that, IMO, are much more adaptable.)

Upvote 0
The question I would ask is "are you happy with the S6?". If you are then my answer would be the heck with what everyone else has or thinks.
Either way they're both nice phones, it ahould be a matter of what best fits your own needs and tastes. With these two choices it would probably be more of a step "sideways" than "down".
I hope you don't choose your clothes, car etc. the same way- ;)

Upvote 0
I hope you don't choose your clothes, car etc. the same way- ;)

Oh, I don't know about that. I'd never consider driving an Accord or a Camry ... or even an Elantra, just because you can't swing a dead mechanic without hitting one. ;) While it's not the primary criteria for choosing stuff, I certainly do gravitate towards the path less traveled. Probably explains my penchant for Nexii. :D

Upvote 0
Well I did have a Sonata for a while, and yes I did see myself coming and going. But I got it because it met my needs at the time, not because everyone else had one. I actually looked at the specs. Plus it was stick-shift, so that made it different from most of them. ;)
I do try to gravitate away from mainstream stuff, but I won't rule it out completely just because it's popular if I like it otherwise. Example is the S5 I'm typing this on.

Upvote 0
I do try to gravitate away from mainstream stuff, but I won't rule it out completely just because it's popular if I like it otherwise.

The #1 question from a customer guaranteed to start me thinking of homicide (other than "what's your best deal on <x>?") is "What's the most popular phone right now?" Who in their right mind chooses a smartphone based on what other people like??? :rolleyes:

Am I going to miss my Edge tremendously or did I make a good choice????

Only you can ultimately answer that question, but the 5X is definitely a good choice. :)

Upvote 0
The #1 question from a customer guaranteed to start me thinking of homicide (other than "what's your best deal on <x>?") is "What's the most popular phone right now?" Who in their right mind chooses a smartphone based on what other people like???

And equally whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?????? is getting a phone just for the sake of being different.

Akin to getting one of these,just to be "different":
images

Go with what you like,network compatibility being #1 priority,the rest is purely subjective.
All phones have trade-offs,haven't found the perfect one yet,probably never will,unless it has the Fountain Of Youth Mode. :D

Enjoy what you have & have fun looking forward to the next one. All the fun is in the journey.............

Upvote 0
Which is easy to run when you have a few percent of the market. Not a sentiment they'd want you to apply now.

No, but it's an interesting observation in marketing strategy. There are base human desires to both fit in and also be unique, so do you go with something that says "I'm one of the (in) crowd"? Or do you want to say "I step to the beat of a different drummer." (Rhetorically speaking ;) )

As to how that equates to the OP's question ... because Samsung has such a big appeal and market penetration now, you'll find a lot of people with knowledge of those particular devices when looking for support. With a lesser known Nexus, you might find menu choices to be different or missing and leave people scratching their heads.

While this has never been an issue for me, some find it a major point of consideration.

Reactions: Lordvincent 90
Upvote 0
because Samsung has such a big appeal and market penetration now, you'll find a lot of people with knowledge of those particular devices when looking for support. With a lesser known Nexus, you might find menu choices to be different or missing and leave people scratching their heads.

Very true, and a good point well-made. Although <shamelessplug alert> you'll find support for almost any device here at AF. :D

My mantra is always go with the device that meets your needs, as to do otherwise is selling yourself short.

Upvote 0
So far I am loving my Nexus. Does everything that I need it to do and does it well!!!!!!
That's great to hear!

The only comment I would have made based on what I have heard from reviewers is that the S6 Edge probably has better build quality and a more "premium" feel to it in your hand. Software wise, it is no contest -- like most people that enjoy messing with their phones, Nexus devices are hands down the best. Also the UI is so much simpler and IMHO more pleasant to use. The few days I had to endure using TouchWiz on my Note 3 were terrible. The interface made me just want to put my phone back down every time I picked it up because it was so "in my face". I rooted and replaced the OS soon as I had some time to get it done.

I miss having a reasonably sized phone (the Note 3 was shoved into my hands without choice by the insurance company when I lost my Nexus 5) and I have been eyeing the 5X myself. My contract with Sprint just ended and I will probably pick one up soon to go off-contract with Cricket or MetroPCS / T-Mo. I drop my Note 3 a lot because I still like to use my phone one-handed and that thing is frickin huge.

Sorry for the rant haha, glad you are loving your new phone!

Upvote 0
I'm tired of owning a phone that seemingly everybody has (Galaxy 6 Edge) so I am replacing it with an LG Nexus 5X. Am I going to miss my Edge tremendously or did I make a good choice???? I didn't want a large phone like the Nexus 6P but rather a similar sized phone..........
It IS a step back speed wise. The 5X isn't getting glowing reviews right now. Many people are reporting janky/slow/laggy behavior. You're much better off with the 6P. Or for that matter, even a Nexus 6 is still a kick butt phone for the price. (~$250) I wouldn't waste my money on a 5X.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones