• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Am I the only one that doesn't use the keyboard?

I ordered the phone thinking to myself, "Self....you'll finally be able to quickly type on a smartphone that you like!" And then I used Swype.

Now, I'm thinking to myself, "Self....you really don't need that keyboard for day-to-day out of pocket use. But it'll be nice for gaming (no pudgy fingers hiding things on the screen) and for long e-mails explaining to your boss why you went on vacation and left all those laptops just sitting there.........and boy, Self, you look good today."

Upvote 0
What Swype is useful for

• Texting people
  • Typing text to search (market, google maps, etc)
  • Replying to emails
  • Showing off to iPhone users

Things the keyboard is useful for:

• Holding the phone when doing something that doesn't require the touch screen. It's actually quite comfy to hold it like this.
  • Sliding out the keyboard when the screen is off unlocks the phone and turns on the display all at once. Quick unlock!
  • Games. Better than on-screen controls for emulators.
  • Typing in things that swype can't recognize. Like my email address, website URLs, passwords, and numbers, etc. I actually find myself using the numbers the most.
  • Showing off, cuz it's pretty.

Upvote 0
What Swype is useful for

• Texting people
  • Typing text to search (market, google maps, etc)
  • Replying to emails
  • Showing off to iPhone users
Things the keyboard is useful for:

• Holding the phone when doing something that doesn't require the touch screen. It's actually quite comfy to hold it like this.
  • Sliding out the keyboard when the screen is off unlocks the phone and turns on the display all at once. Quick unlock!
  • Games. Better than on-screen controls for emulators.
  • Typing in things that swype can't recognize. Like my email address, website URLs, passwords, and numbers, etc. I actually find myself using the numbers the most.
  • Showing off, cuz it's pretty.

+1 this

I like having the keyboard, but now that i've used SWYPE i'm sold, swype is great. Even for longer emails because its fast and really good at auto correcting so typo's are gone .

Upvote 0
I use all 3 methods and it really depends on what I am doing at the time or what I want to do.

If I have to type a long email or do longer typing in things like Facebook or Twitter I will use the KB

Quick texts or searches, I will use Swype or virtual typing

But the great thing is that it gives us a choice, we can go all Swype or All KB or all Virtual typing, or we can do a mix of 3. That's the beauty of it.

I read somewhere that they did a survey and people who preferred a KB actually used the keyboard about 30% of the time in reality, but as I have said, it gives us a choice.

Upvote 0
I've long disliked slide out keyboards, thinking that it slight irritation it is to have to pull it out and push is back in cancels out the slight benefit of having the keyboard in the first place.

But then again, last time I really thought about it was long before I'e ever really thought I'd do much emailing on my phone, or using my phone to visit full websites. I wouldn't use it to text much, but I'd probably be happy I had it if I were to email, or say, type in a forum.

Upvote 0
I use Swype when I'm browsing the web, filling out short forms, running searches, simple things like that.

As great as Swype is, the feel the keyboard is just too amazing to let it go to waste. I'll use it for texting, emails, message boards, or anything that requires me to spend more than 10 seconds to type :p

I find that I text more as well. I'll find every excuse to plop out the keyboard and fire off a text or two!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones