Am I the only one that doesn't use the keyboard?

Last Updated:

1. Iczer

Iczer Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just figured I'd ask. The keyboard was not the selling point for me, although it's nice to have. It's been 2 days, so i'll play with it more. I'm just so used to typing with the one hand on screen.

Advertisement
  2. MILcityBOI

MILcityBOI Well-Known Member

It's weird cause i had to have this phone simply because I love a physical keyboard but most of the time I find myself using Swype so much that I wonder if I even need the keyboard. I sometimes send emails so that is where the keyboard really helps so I am glad I got it still.

3. Squiggoth

Squiggoth Well-Known Member

I ordered the phone thinking to myself, "Self....you'll finally be able to quickly type on a smartphone that you like!" And then I used Swype.

Now, I'm thinking to myself, "Self....you really don't need that keyboard for day-to-day out of pocket use. But it'll be nice for gaming (no pudgy fingers hiding things on the screen) and for long e-mails explaining to your boss why you went on vacation and left all those laptops just sitting there.........and boy, Self, you look good today."

4. robl45

robl45 Well-Known Member

I have been mostly using swype, the physical keyboard is kinda pain actually, but useful when typing out weird stuff.

5. Android XTC

Android XTC Banned

I don't use it alot but its sure nice to have.

6. MissJennell

MissJennell Well-Known Member

Apparently I a the only one who does use it. Lol. I am actually typing this from it right now. :-D

7. jim2point0

jim2point0 Well-Known Member

What Swype is useful for

• Texting people
    • Typing text to search (market, google maps, etc)
    • Replying to emails
    • Showing off to iPhone users

Things the keyboard is useful for:

• Holding the phone when doing something that doesn't require the touch screen. It's actually quite comfy to hold it like this.
    • Sliding out the keyboard when the screen is off unlocks the phone and turns on the display all at once. Quick unlock!
    • Games. Better than on-screen controls for emulators.
    • Typing in things that swype can't recognize. Like my email address, website URLs, passwords, and numbers, etc. I actually find myself using the numbers the most.
    • Showing off, cuz it's pretty.

8. WeirdAl

WeirdAl New Member

I've been using the keyboard almost exclusively except for quick texts, and then I painfully use the on-screen... Looks like I need to check out swype though

9. nickw511

nickw511 Active Member

+1 this

I like having the keyboard, but now that i've used SWYPE i'm sold, swype is great. Even for longer emails because its fast and really good at auto correcting so typo's are gone .

10. Blitzpwnage

Blitzpwnage Well-Known Member

I use the keyboard for emulators and such. I find myself going between Swype and the physical QWERTY TBH I just do what I feel is needed at the time I really dont think of what one to use my mind makes the choice and I just do it.

11. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

I knew I wasn't going to use it much. But knew I want it for certain situation and app. I've already seeing benefit with quick launch from phone settings to dolphin browser settings.

Edit: isn't nice to know it' there when you want or need it?

12. WeirdAl

WeirdAl New Member

holy carp, I just watched some demos on how to use swype, and tried it out - I think I'm hooked!

13. jayhawksean

jayhawksean Member

i'd prefer to have the EPIC without a physical keyboard just to have a thinner phone. but i am not complaining about the thickness now.

14. iwillfearnoevil

iwillfearnoevil Well-Known Member

i keep trying to pull it out on the wrong side lol ... it is nice for longer texts though! and emulators like others are saying.

15. Bmerz

Bmerz Well-Known Member

I find myself using both, still trying to get the hang of Swype. So for longer email/text I am using KB, and for quick text - swype. Love having a choice! :)

16. adelmundo

adelmundo Well-Known Member

I use all 3 methods and it really depends on what I am doing at the time or what I want to do.

If I have to type a long email or do longer typing in things like Facebook or Twitter I will use the KB

Quick texts or searches, I will use Swype or virtual typing

But the great thing is that it gives us a choice, we can go all Swype or All KB or all Virtual typing, or we can do a mix of 3. That's the beauty of it.

I read somewhere that they did a survey and people who preferred a KB actually used the keyboard about 30% of the time in reality, but as I have said, it gives us a choice.

17. MrFlipside

MrFlipside Member

I got the Epic BECAUSE OF the keyboard! Seeing what's on the screen and being able to type at the same time is what it's all about - for me anyway...

18. JoshUng

JoshUng Well-Known Member

I've long disliked slide out keyboards, thinking that it slight irritation it is to have to pull it out and push is back in cancels out the slight benefit of having the keyboard in the first place.

But then again, last time I really thought about it was long before I'e ever really thought I'd do much emailing on my phone, or using my phone to visit full websites. I wouldn't use it to text much, but I'd probably be happy I had it if I were to email, or say, type in a forum.

19. aznmode

aznmode Well-Known Member

I agree. I've gotten so used to no kb on the Evo that I rarely use it on the Epic. Now I'm wishing we got the Fascinate version instead...with front camera and 4g ofcourse.

20. nickw511

nickw511 Active Member

Awesome swype tip: swype from the "swype" button to the "ABC" button and it brings up a very useful keyboard for cursor placement, text selection, cut and paste etc....

Very cool!!!

Oh, and tap "ABC" to get back to regular kb.

21. daddyd302

daddyd302 Well-Known Member

I don't need to use it. It's more of a luxury then anything to me.

22. walord

walord Active Member

Yes.

I find the keyboard helpful for using apps such as "documents to go" and "phone my pc" for a start. I also use it to control my HTPC when I'm too lazy to look for my air mouse remote. I'm liking swype but it does a terrible job when all you need to do is type in a username and password.

23. kngyn19

kngyn19 Active Member

I use Swype when I'm browsing the web, filling out short forms, running searches, simple things like that.

As great as Swype is, the feel the keyboard is just too amazing to let it go to waste. I'll use it for texting, emails, message boards, or anything that requires me to spend more than 10 seconds to type :p

I find that I text more as well. I'll find every excuse to plop out the keyboard and fire off a text or two!

24. blitz118

blitz118 Well-Known Member

After trying swype on my wife' s epic I could not go back to using the keyboard or tapping to type. I liked swype, so much I installed on my evo.

25. Araliss

Araliss Well-Known Member

I don't like how the virtual keyboard hides my screen in landscape/widescreen mode. The physical keyboard lets me see whats going on if I'm chatting.