Am I the Only One?

Last Updated:

1. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog Moderator

Am I the only one who really hates that apps in ICS automatically append them selves to the home screen when you download them from the play store? I mean really sorry but that to me is just to intrusive. I hate windows because every program you install wants to load up when windows does and it wants to run in the background. What happened to giving me a choice? this kind of dictatorship should be banned from all technological machines and systems.

Advertisement
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I don't like it either.

If you aren't aware, you can turn it off in the play store settings
    saptech and argedion like this.
  3. argedion

yes but why is this set by default? i mean they must pay for such treachery :smokingsomb:
  4. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

not an issue with any particular handset. this is a software discussion, so moved to app section.
  5. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

Yes, I have noticed it since I got my tablet with ICS installed. I know with the phone I never saw it happen.

I don't like it either and glad to know it can be changed.

Thnx.
  6. sashreekrd3

sashreekrd3 New Member

I too hate it.
    argedion likes this.
  7. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

It also happens every time you have to reinstall GAPPS if you are rooted. Dammit.
    argedion likes this.
  8. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

It could be that this makes it easier for some people. People who need this probably don't know how to turn it on while people who don't need this most likely know how to turn it off.
  9. Bren S.

Bren S. Well-Known Member

It is one of the very 1st things I disable on new devices,right after disabling automatic updates.
    Rxpert83 likes this.
  10. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

It turn on all automatic updates (disabled by default) and turn off the homescreen adding thing (on by default). Have no idea who decided to make those to settings opposite of what makes sense by default.
  11. fdbryant3

fdbryant3 Well-Known Member

What treachery? You asked for a choice, they gave you a choice. Just because the default they choose is to yours is immaterial - some people probably prefer it this way.

Ultimately this is a convenience feature and while you desire to make the decision for every little thing, others - the greater majority of the average appreciate having not to search for the apps the download and having to add it to a home screen.

You should be happy you have a choice, certain other platforms wouldn't give you that much.
  12. sohguanh

sohguanh Well-Known Member

And it would be nice to hear what that other platforms is isn't it ?
  13. Robinwood

Robinwood Active Member

I too get irritation!!
  14. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Since most people do accept, and it's mostly us other-type users who object - why can't we have some kind of a correlation to rooting on a stickied post so new users can find the info. Searching can give you some of the weirdest answers.

Like 1. Automatic Updating
    2. Permissions
    3. Move to SD card
    and so on.
    Just enough to give someone a clue for a more specific search, or a link to a more informative post or article.

(I worked in a library all through school and the electronic system of searching drives me nuts. If you have to read through pages and pages of non-relevant info on a question, you tend to give up)
    argedion likes this.
  15. argedion

Good idea maybe post in FAQ