1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Am I The Only Who Would Be Furious If I Was Running Google?General

1. NecoD

NecoD Well-Known Member

As the title states, I would be furious if I was running Google and my flagship mobile phone that ran my brand new shiny OS was currently only available in Europe and Canada as an American company.

This would be like Apple releasing their new iDevice in every other market first before the US.
    Or Ford/GM releasing their new Mustang/Corvette every where before the the US.

This just seems so a** backwards to me.

**Just to clarify I'm not upset or even mad about the delay of the GN. I'm just stepping back and looking at this from a business perspective.

Advertisement
    :
    GalaxyNexus likes this.
  2. HuskyKMA

HuskyKMA Well-Known Member

Why says that Google has nothing to do with the "delay"?
  3. kishin14

kishin14 Well-Known Member

The Galaxy Nexus is nothing to Google. It's only a flagship product for its Android segment. Won't even constitute a fraction of one percent of the company's profits. Unlike the iPhone, which makes up like 20% of Apple's sales. From a PR standpoint, it's a disaster for sure. And I'm sure they're upset about the delays. But I doubt anyone at Google is losing any sleep over this.

At the end of the day, Google is a for-profit company like any other. They make money, whether you buy a Gnex or a razr or a rezound. That's why Eric Schmidt says things like android is winning, not the Galaxy Nexus is winning. They really don't care which device you get as long as it's an android OS one.
    jroc likes this.
  4. rexdog1888

rexdog1888 Well-Known Member

I would be furious if I was one of the guys who had been working on this for months
  5. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

It is only like that because they allow it. They could easily have told Verizon if they wanted it what day it had to be released. Instead they are dropping the ball on this Nexus and allowing Verizon to modify it (google wallet, backup assistant, just what we know so far).

I am upset that it is available everywhere else before America. That is one of the few things I like about Apple. An American company that always releases products here first. Google is an American company and should release their products here first. We are WAAAY behind on cell phone releases other than that and we always have been. It infuriates me how American companies don't care much about American citizens anymore :mad:
    rexdog1888 likes this.
  6. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

LOL why they all have one and we don't.
  7. BigRedNole

BigRedNole Well-Known Member

The entire Galaxy Nexus debacle in the US is like 3 monkeys fighting over a banana that is shoved up a gorilla's ass.
    jroc, BoogieNYC, someguy43210 and 4 others like this.
  8. NecoD

NecoD Well-Known Member

9. someguy43210

someguy43210 Well-Known Member

Some suggested that the delay is because Google is complaining to the FCC and DoJ about Verizon violating the spectrum rules by blocking apps in their phone.

I'm more furious Samsung/Google charges this much for a phone with these specs. That's no way to justify the Microsoft tax included.
  10. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

Of course Google is not without their share of faults on this debacle. But I still think VZW is more to be blamed. If Google selected AT&T or T-mobile for the first US carrier to release it, I doubt it would have been like this. Nexus One, Nexus S launched here first.
    jroc and s.m.knipe like this.
  11. NecoD

NecoD Well-Known Member

I'm just curious if Google had decided to sell this phone directly if we'd still be in this situation?
  12. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Well-Known Member

Actually they tried that for Nexus One and it failed miserably sales wise. The issue was that it was only available online for T-mobile at full retail price. Nexus S addressed this by selling at Bestbuy as well as online and with 2 year contract. So it sold a little more than Nexus One. Still the issue was that it launched only on T-mobile and marketing was lackluster though it eventually landed on AT&T, Sprint.

Galaxy nexus is their third try in fixing all those problems by launching on the biggest carrier with heavy media hypes. I think it's mistake for Google to give VZW exclusive right to sell Gnex in US for first months this time. Verizon is probably leveraging it to keep it away from other carriers and also protect their favored bloated Droid phones for initial sales. Of course, they've been probably working on bug fixes, 4G issue as well. But I think that corporate thing to separate it out from Razr definitely played big part in this debacle.
    jroc likes this.
  13. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Google has the money and influence to make this the biggest phone launch in the world and crush the iPhone like it should.

There is 2 problems though:

1. Verizon is definitely the wrong carrier to do anything with. The worst customer service, the highest prices, and too many devices.

2. Google wants to make money, they don't do it on phone sales (even though they could if they copied apple's phone sales method). They make money by advertising. It doesn't matter if someone is on a nexus or any other android the money is the same.

If I was in Google's Android division things would be different. The nexus line would be untouched software... If a carrier couldn't agree to that they wouldn't carry it. Also there wouldn't be fragmentation. There are phones just now updating to gingerbread which was released a year ago... That is just ****ing stupid!!!