1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

AM radio app

Last Updated:

1. rizzol19

rizzol19 Member This Topic's Starter

I am probably one of three people who would like app, but does anyone know of an AM radio app. I like listening to the yankee games when I go but the mlb at bat has a 30 second delay on it. If anyone knows of another app to try that would be great.

Advertisement
  2. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

There are several apps that stream audio from radio stations, but legally a radio station can't stream a baseball game online. Those rights belong exclusively to the MLB.

3. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

If you really wanted to, you could possibly set up a temporary streaming server, and have your phone tune to it.

Example. Take a radio with a AM tuner, and a headphone jack, plug the headphone jack into the line in input on your computer's sound card. Then set up a program to stream the audio to the internet. Set the bit rate sound quality sort of low, so its not affected by patchy 3G as easily (not like AM is audiophile quality anyway). Then have your phone connect to it. Then stop the server when your done.

Its a whole lot of work, but if you really cared, and were like me and tried to find my own ways around problems, you would be up to the challenge. Its probably not very legal, but if its only temporary and not advertised, I can't see how it would hurt. Or how they would even find out.

Don't ask me how. I just think this is possible.

4. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

I think you'd still have some sort of delay when you streamed that way. You could do it I think. It would take a lot of work though.

5. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Yep, the only way to get it streamed is to use the MLB app or stream it yourself.

6. gildan27

gildan27 New Member

Building on this idea, I thought I would share something I have done (which is quite similar, but a little simpler to set up).

As Demache said, take a radio with an AM tuner and connect its headphone jack to the line in on the computer's sound card.

Then install Skype on your computer and create some Skype ID. Let's say it is MyAM-MLB. Set Skype to use line-in for the mic input, and set Skype to auto-answer incoming calls.

Now all you have to do is sign into Skype on your Android smartphone with another user ID, and call your other MyAM-MLB user. Because Skype is designed for real-time phone calls, it will adjust the quality of the stream to network conditions (like if the upload speed out of your network is really slow), and the delay is usually less than a second. It is much better than anything else I could come up with.

I don't think there would be anything illegal about this--it's not being streamed over the Internet; it's being streamed over a phone call for your personal listening purposes, and you'd be the only one that could access it.

I'm not using this to stream radio to myself (I'm using it so I can remotely hear and assist users during live audio presentations at that location), but I just leave that computer sitting there with Skype running all the time so I can call it anytime. I just used an old computer that was laying around... no monitor, no speakers. Just good enough to sit there and run Skype.

Hope this helps.