• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Amazing Droid performance increase

Did you go into the settings and check "safe Unmount" and "safe Remount"? I did that the first time I ran swapper (jut browsing through the settings) and I had no problem mounting and unmounting the phone. Just do it as you normally do and it's completely transparent.

yup checking the Safe Unmount and Safe Remount option works perfectly. mounting and unmounting SDcard is no problem. it does take a little bit after unmounting for swapper to create the swap file again though but not a huge issue.

Read my post #20 - does not work that way for me. I have them both checked and when trying to mount, does not mount. the little USB connection icon on the phone spins and never mounts to my computer. if I kill Swapper, I can mount.

Upvote 0
Read my post #20 - does not work that way for me. I have them both checked and when trying to mount, does not mount. the little USB connection icon on the phone spins and never mounts to my computer. if I kill Swapper, I can mount.

hmm it works fine for me. maybe need to download busybox through swapper? also in advanced i have "Recreate swap file" and "Reformat swap" checked. not sure if that will help any.

Upvote 0
I'll pass on downloading BB via swapper. BB is loaded, works fine, no reason to force it thru Swapper plus swapper works except for that function, so not likely a BB issue

we have same settings otherwise

ok i found something interesting. i just tried to mount it right now and it wouldnt go. so i tried it again and then it worked. so maybe its buggy and takes a few tries?

Upvote 0
So IS there an issue with mounting the SD Card with Swapper 2? I mount the SD Card as a USB drive a LOT and - while I would love to try this - I can't have things crashing every time I mount the card or have trouble mounting it.

I've been using an app called Dual Mount SD Widget (listed in the app list as SD Share) forever. Similar to what Johngalt was saying about SD Split (which I couldn't find in the Market, by the way), this gives you full access to your SD card on your Droid while it's mounted to the PC. I'm able to mount my SD card using SD Share while Swapper 2 is on (I don't even have Safe Unmount and Safe Remount checked in Swapper 2 settings), without any problems at all. What this means is that I can mount my SD card without turning off swap (either automatically or manually) and having to re-create the swap file every time.

Upvote 0
Do slayher kernels support this?

Also, i have 90% of my apps on my sd card, if i back up the sd card to my pc, then format my sd card and partition it, will simply dragging everything back to my sd card restore all my apps?

I haven't seen these questions answered yet (sorry if I missed it). Yes, slayher's kernels support swap. That's what I'm using.

And yes, I have over 70 apps on the SD card and have copied everything to PC, reformatted my SD card, and copied everything back several times now and all my apps have restored just fine.

Upvote 0
Regarding issues with swapping and connecting the phone to a computer...

I have both of the "Safe Unmount" and "Safe Remount" checked in Swapper 2. I connected the phone to my Linux box machine today and everything worked normally. I kept hitting the "Info" button in Swapper 2 and the swap size eventually dwindled to zero. When I unmounted the phone from my computer, swap space returned.

Upvote 0

I have both of the "Safe Unmount" and "Safe Remount" checked in Swapper 2. I connected the phone to my Linux box machine today and everything worked normally. I kept hitting the "Info" button in Swapper 2 and the swap size eventually dwindled to zero. When I unmounted the phone from my computer, swap space returned.

looks like we have mixed results on that function working.

it has never worked for me, works for you, kinda of works for gotwillk

Upvote 0
I've been using an app called Dual Mount SD Widget (listed in the app list as SD Share) forever. Similar to what Johngalt was saying about SD Split (which I couldn't find in the Market, by the way), this gives you full access to your SD card on your Droid while it's mounted to the PC. I'm able to mount my SD card using SD Share while Swapper 2 is on (I don't even have Safe Unmount and Safe Remount checked in Swapper 2 settings), without any problems at all. What this means is that I can mount my SD card without turning off swap (either automatically or manually) and having to re-create the swap file every time.

That's because said JohnLGalt is an idiot and was looking at hte application itself when enabled, and noticed that it said "SD Split enabled" and like a tool used that as the anme of hte app.

As GLD said, the app's name is Dual Mount SD Widget and in your App Drawer it can be found listed as SD Share, and when you enable / disable it it says SD Split enabled / disabled. Whew. Someone needs to understand the concept of uniformity lol....

I haven't seen these questions answered yet (sorry if I missed it). Yes, slayher's kernels support swap. That's what I'm using.

And yes, I have over 70 apps on the SD card and have copied everything to PC, reformatted my SD card, and copied everything back several times now and all my apps have restored just fine.

Makes sense - as long as the phone thinks the apps are on the SDCard, it will go looking for them - as long as it finds them where it thinks it is supposed to find them, no harm, no foul.

Nice analysis there.

looks like we have mixed results on that function working.

it has never worked for me, works for you, kinda of works for gotwillk

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that your Swap file is so friggin huge, b/c like AoT said, it slowly dwindles - maybe you're simply not giving it enough time? Or maybe the app is not coded to allow for the amount of time it takes to clear out a very large swap file?

It works for me as well. I have both options checked.

To all, whether it works or not = please post your swap file size (and any other parameter that you change in setting up Swapper2).

Upvote 0
I had both Safe Unmount and Safe Remount checked, and couldn't connect the Droid to the PC. It would just spin and spin and spin and never connect. So I tried an experiment: UNCHECK the Safe Mount and leave the Safe Remount checked.

Works great now. So ONE problem solved.

The only other problem I want Swapper2 to solve is a low memory glitch in ^3 (Cubed) music player, wherein the player will just "freeze" and I have to restart it every few hours (I use it a LOT during the day). I am going to see if Swapper2 solves that dilemma.

BTW: File size 32MB, Swappiness=10.

Reactions: Lock-N-Load
Upvote 0
I wonder if it has to do with the fact that your Swap file is so friggin huge, b/c like AoT said, it slowly dwindles - maybe you're simply not giving it enough time? Or maybe the app is not coded to allow for the amount of time it takes to clear out a very large swap file?

def not. I use 48 and 20 like most everyone else trying this.

Upvote 0
I had both Safe Unmount and Safe Remount checked, and couldn't connect the Droid to the PC. It would just spin and spin and spin and never connect. So I tried an experiment: UNCHECK the Safe Mount and leave the Safe Remount checked.

hmm.. again, seems different settings for different people on these 2 work, kinda work, dont work.. thanks for this tip, I will test it and report back if it works for me.

EDIT: nice, this DID work for me also - that is, it allowed me to mount

Upvote 0
man, who knows for sure. Kernel could be an option as there seems to be no real rhyme or reason yet as to what settings to use to get mount/unmount to work while Swpper 2 is running, but what is for sure, many of us are running different Kernels so that could be close to why some have both checked and it works, some like me had both checked and it would not work, but 1 checked and 1 unchecked works for others. go figure.

I did - when I was mounted up this time - go into Swapper 2 and notice that I had all 0's reported in the Settings Info for Swap, Used, Free, but then after mounting they updated too current numbers. tells me it is unmounting the swap file and remounting when I disconnect from the computer. I wonder if others are staying connected to their swaps while also mounted to the computer since I have that odd issue of both checked not allowing me to swap?

Upvote 0

so is this widget supposed to allow me to see my SD card contents on my PC while also be able to access my SD card on my phone simultaneously while mounted? i just tried it and my sd card is mounted to PC and swapper 2 is still running. it mounted with no problems. but i can't access the sd card from my phone.

also what is the difference between setting the "Use swap partition" in advanced settings to use swap partition or use swap file?

Upvote 0
so is this widget supposed to allow me to see my SD card contents on my PC while also be able to access my SD card on my phone simultaneously while mounted? i just tried it and my sd card is mounted to PC and swapper 2 is still running. it mounted with no problems. but i can't access the sd card from my phone.

I had this happen to me, as well, when I very first installed SD Share and tried to use the widget AND use the mount option in the notification panel. SD Share mounts the SD card for you (when you touch it, you'll see the message "SD Split Activated"). Once you see that, your SD card will be mounted to the PC, but you also have complete access to the SD card from your phone.

Upvote 0
I had this happen to me, as well, when I very first installed SD Share and tried to use the widget AND use the mount option in the notification panel. SD Share mounts the SD card for you (when you touch it, you'll see the message "SD Split Activated"). Once you see that, your SD card will be mounted to the PC, but you also have complete access to the SD card from your phone.

seems this is for people that want to make a partition on their SD card and use that as the swap versus many of us that just make a swap file. default is to just make a swap file.

cool, thanks for the tips! so i don't even need to go the regular way to mount my SD anymore, just tap the widget.

i made a partition of 512mb but i guess that wasn't necessary. is partition better than file, vice versa, or makes no difference?

Upvote 0
Got a few Qs about this app that I haven't seen addressed in this thread yet.

<snip>
</snip>

A am running CM6 with JDLFG kernal and loaded swapper 2. I tried to create the swapfile and go the following messages"

Code:
->Setting swappiness OK
->Turning swap off(file) FAIL
->swapoff: /sdcard/swapfile.swp:  Function not implemented

->Removing swap file OK
->Creating swap file OK
->Changing permissions OK
->Formatting swap OK
->Enabling swap(file) FAIL
->swapon: /sdcard/swapfile.swp: Function not implemented

->All done!

Thanks in advance for any help!

I see the swapfile on the sdcard, it is 32meg in size, but when I start the swapper (ON) I continue to get errors as above.

Upvote 0
Can anyone help me install this? I'm running the latest lith mod and a 1ghz jdflg kernel. I tried to use rom manager to partition my SD card but it just wouldn't. And then when I click the create swap file or format swap partition in swapper 2 it just says please wait. Any of the other options just say they failed. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
So I switched from the Slayher kernel I was using to a P3Droid kernel since I didn't know if Slayher supported swap. I set up Swapper 2 to use a 64mb swap file. Who knows if using a separate partition will help with performance, I didn't try.

I feel like I'm seeing some sort of performance increase. At least so far, I haven't seen any homescreen redraws, apps do seem to open and close a bit faster, and in general I think the phone is a little bit more comfortable to use. I'm definitely not seeing any drastic change in performance, but something is there. I guess the better news though is that the P3 kernel has increased my battery life by 10-20% over what I'm accustomed to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones