• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Amazing fast power drain

My phone isn't rooted since I don't know how. The Power drain is crazy fast and has gotten faster the last few weeks. Any really excellent post or article on like the top 10 things to do?? Thanks

Hello there MTHall!
Do you have the S3 or the S4 as your info states?
The reason I ask, is because your thread is in the Verizon S3 Root forum ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for asking. I have Verizon S3 Wasn't sure where to post
No problem, I moved it to the correct forum here;)

I know it may be tough to remember, but are there any new apps you installed and then you notice this drain?
Have you updated via an OTA and then it started?

How do you define "Amazing Power drain"? 100% to "X"% in "x" amount of time.

Upvote 0
The factory battery ( 2000mah) for the GS3 is way too small. If I use my phone much, my battery would be dead by lunch. My solution was a Zero Lemon 7000mah battery. Adds some bulk to the phone, but worth it. The battery is $40, and comes with a 'skin' type phone case. They also have a 'otter box' clone for the new battery that is $19, I think. Well worth the $$$, IMHO.

Upvote 0
Zero Lemon battery isn't much help for this situation...

Try turning off location services both in the main settings menu and in the Google Now settings menu. Especially, turn off the 'use wireless networks' setting in location services.

Something changed between 4.2 and 4.3 that caused location services to use huge amounts of power on my stock AT&T GS3. Even with a 7000mah Zero Lemon battery, I'd routinely see 3% drop per hour when completely idle sitting on a table and each time the culprit was Google Play Services according to GSam.

There are 7 settings that I found (main GPS enable, main allow app access to location, main use gps satellites, main use wireless networks, google app location access, google location reporting, google location history). I spent about a week playing with various settings combinations and have a detailed table of the 8-12-hour battery drain for each but the formatting is screwed-up when I try to paste it here (for some reason I cannot choose a fixed-width font in this editor) so I won't paste it here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones