Amazing/Horrid Camera - Pet PeeveSupport

Last Updated:

1. nofinga911

nofinga911 Member This Topic's Starter

How come when I take a picture with my G1 it focuses for so long after you press the button,before it takes the picture? Whatever you are taking a picture of would have to stay perfectly still for at least 4 seconds...weird..any fix?

Advertisement
  2. honugirl

honugirl Active Member

ya thats not cool. i dont like that delay it takes too long for the shuttet to go off . is that some thing that is going to be fixed.....

3. lkosova

lkosova Well-Known Member

Camera sucks and hopefully someone will write a zoom application.

Larry

4. SirFenwick

SirFenwick Well-Known Member

Yeah, its not the best camera ever. My sisters HTC has a crappy camera too, think its the same one on the G1. But hopefully they can make it work a lot better.

5. nofinga911

nofinga911 Member This Topic's Starter

Yes yes yes I left that part out by accident, about the zoom. Reallly needs zoom

6. Fish.Kungfu

Fish.Kungfu New Member

I just wanna confirm that the camera is sucky slow for me too....digital daguerreotype slow. ;-)
    But overall, I do love this phone and it's Open-ness. Other apps are really quite snappy.

7. N3TWORK BURN3R

N3TWORK BURN3R Well-Known Member

Yea. I used to have the Tmobile Dash (HTC S620) and it had a camera that was worse. Although this one is not the best, i think its a bit better with the auto-focus and all.

8. richy240

richy240 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. It's slow, but it takes decent photos for a phone. I won't use it much anyway for photos, and I find the camera more useful with apps like Barcode Scanner and the like.

9. TheLineUp

TheLineUp Member

yup .. the camera is so slow.. but there is a way to be fast.. if you want it to be fast.. take the pic with the truckball, but that will have no focus.. try it!!

10. STORM3333

STORM3333 Well-Known Member

Yes indeed i really don't like that as well and i really hate the camera doesn't have a flashlight! Sigh i'm not complaining, i just can't wait to see apps to help with the camera!

11. niftydl

niftydl Member

I believe its unlikely there is a way to "fix" the camera. Seeing how the phone is made by HTC, they have a history of craptastic camera sensors and software. Its better than nothing, and a lot nicer than some of the Windows Mobile implementations, but alas still can't match my beloved Nokia N95 :p. Nevertheless, the rest of the phone is a great and for the price, I think its a good deal for a lot of people.

12. PhantomTrace

PhantomTrace Well-Known Member

They can "fix" anything with this OS basically in a Update.

13. Durf

Durf Well-Known Member

It will NEVER take spectacular pictures.
    lens is plastic.
    No Flash.
    3megpxl.
    Off Center.
    I didn't get it to be my main camera and honestly, the pictures are acceptable. Just use a steady hand and don't try anything too dark. I have used it for occasional shots and it was fine. Not my dslr, not even close, but fine.

14. TateWatkins

TateWatkins Well-Known Member

I don't like that it doesn't have a feature to stabalize the picture.

I will be buying a proper digital camera anyway for nights out and such so it doesn't bother me too much :)

15. android_goes

android_goes Member

Oh guys. It is a mobile camera. Go out and get a 200 bucks digital camera which will always capture better pics than any of the 200€ mobile phone cams. I don't get it.

16. TateWatkins

Have you seen the C905? 8MP to rival a lot of actual digital cameras, my friend used it to capture last night and it is increadible.

Being a phone means nothing.

17. android_goes

android_goes Member

Yeah and what is the price? In Germany it is 403€ (520$). For that price I could buy a decent digital camera + G1. For sure you can integrate a decent camera into a mobile phone but it has its price.

18. TateWatkins

Free, it is free on contract, same with my G1.

19. SK.

SK. Well-Known Member

But then you are carrying two devices whereas Convergence devices are what people are craving for these days. Look at it this way, A device that can be your web browser/music player/decent stills camera/phone/all round communicator all in one neat little package. Then it's not so expensive is it? plus as Tate pointed out you can get it for free on contract.

Megapixels don't impress me, it's the lenses/sensor/optics used, along with slick software that matters not the "marketing megapixels matter boast" but the C905 does the job well enough to negate the need for a separate stills in my opinion

20. atek3

atek3 Well-Known Member

my last camphone was VGA... it was GARBAGE. by comparison the G1 is practically an SLR. It doesn't come close to replacing my Canon 790IS... but if it's daylight, and I see something funny, the G1 is almost perfect. Now the G2, which will be 12 megapixel, with image stabilization and a flash... then I can have true gadget convergence.

21. drustvold

drustvold Well-Known Member

Yeah speed an stability seem to be a big problem.

Lets see... is there anything that could be used to help this... maybe a little post processing... oh look, an accelerometer...

Someone want to get on that?

;)

22. sleebus.jones

sleebus.jones Well-Known Member

The big problem, IMHO, is that the camera sensor is not very sensitive at all. That's what makes the pictures blurry...the exposure takes forever. It also makes the camera virtually useless in low light. I get blurry pictures from people moving in a brightly lit area. You can crank up the apparent sensitivity by amplifying the chip more, but then you also amplify the noise in the image. To get rid of that, you need to apply a de-noising filter, which then destroys the fine detail rendered by that nice auto-focus lens.

To get high sensitivity in a higher MP sensor, you have to shell out $$. They went for the 3MP (which consumers say "3MP w00t!") but at the expense of sensitivity, which renders it pretty useless unless you are braced somewhere and taking a picture of a non-moving subject.

I had high hopes for this camera, but I really am disappointed.

23. miahac

miahac New Member

Something interesting about the back cover. It covers the lens - and protects with another clear piece of plastic. Someone with some time on their hands could make a replacement back cover with some kind of optical enhancement... extra light capture, zoom, etc. Some simple optics would do the trick. Also the software ideas discussed like post processing and accelerometer calc can make a big difference. One thing that would help is if different button could be used. The photo button is hard to push, you do not know if it is focusing or you are waiting for the photo. What about an external flash? Lots of Ideas pop in that a third party could do. But who knows what the g2 or equivilent will bring.

24. sleebus.jones

sleebus.jones Well-Known Member

The photo button isn't hard to push if you understand how it works. It's a two stage button, but not really. :) The autofocus part of the button is on the left side of the button (you facing the screen). What I do is press on the left side to focus, and then roll my finger to the right to take the picture. I've gotten much better results using the "roll method".

25. Matt Soreco

Matt Soreco Member

Yeah it stinks. I thought mine was broken or something.