• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Amazingness of navigator!!

I just got my phone last night and VZ guy who activated for me made a couple of changes to my plan to "save me some money." When I got home there was a message on my phone that I was being billed $9.99 extra for VZ Navigator (which I didn't ask for). So you guys feel like VZ Nav is a waste of money? I haven't installed it yet and getting ready to call VZ to take off the charge.

Haven't had much of a change to play with the Google app yet.

Upvote 0
HTC phones use a quickgps app to download satellite info off the web. It then injects the info into the gps chip (with a Hayes AT command) and the gps boots super fast that way.

The nav will also go to street view at the end of the route which is kind of cool.

If you haven't already, poke through the setup menu and look for "Labs". Google labs has some neat addons to the maps including measuring tape and scale.

On WM I recall it calculating routes based on traffic. I can only imagine that it is that smart here too.

Upvote 0
I just got my phone last night and VZ guy who activated for me made a couple of changes to my plan to "save me some money." When I got home there was a message on my phone that I was being billed $9.99 extra for VZ Navigator (which I didn't ask for). So you guys feel like VZ Nav is a waste of money? I haven't installed it yet and getting ready to call VZ to take off the charge.

Haven't had much of a change to play with the Google app yet.

Absolutely, it is free and works just as well as my garmin.. Best part is I will never have to pay for updated maps.

Upvote 0
The GPS + Google Nav is amazing. It does calculate based on traffic. I took a trip yesterday and tool the same path both ways. On the bottom of the nav screen it had a green dot and said 20 mins. On the way home during rush hour it was a red dot and said 53 mins. It was spot on. It took me about 50 mins to get home. And when you select layers and hit traffic view the path was marked in the right spots where the traffic was occurring. The GPS alone on this phone makes it well worth the cost. The Phone is superb!

Upvote 0
Sorry to ask this as I know this is a stupid question, but are you using Google Maps/Directions feature or the VZW navigator?
Thanks!

I had VZ Navigator (plus its $9.99/month fee) with my BB Storm. When I activated my Incredible online to replace Storm, Verizon automatically removed the $9.99 VZ Navigator fee. In other words, even Verizon doesn't expect you to use VZ Navigator on the Incredible. ;)

Upvote 0
I only wish their was a way the program would just show you driving north (no destination, just shows you the roads while driving). My Garmin did this - once you started the car, if you did not input any directions into the unit it simply shows you the roads as you're driving and provides no directions.

The Incredible does show you while you move, but in a complete birds eye view, not the "3D" view you get when navigating to a destination.

Also - I thought it was cool as hell when it showed a picture of my destination at arrival :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones