• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Amazon Fire TV cost $99 and available today?

Rob

Galaxy S20 Ultra
News Moderator
Administrator
  • Mar 26, 2008
    androidforums.com
    They've just announced Amazon Fire TV and it's only $99 and available today! It's got a ton of Netflix like integration, of course works with Amazon Instant Video and Amazon Prime, and also has a gaming controller and a complete gaming section with exclusive games.

Why hasn't Google done this with Google TV? How will this compare to the $99 OUYA? I have so many questions but this is EXCITING!

Are you guys gonna get one?

I don't think I'll get one. Not because I don't think it looks awesome (it looks great!) but I already have 4 gaming consoles hooked up to my TV, and this doesn't offer anything they don't. That aside, if I weren't already equipped to the teeth with stuff already it'd definitely be a mainstay for my living room.

Same here. I have a bunch of devices that do what this does already. I will definitely get one eventually though (I'm sure the first ones will have hardware problems and other quirks that need ironing out like most new devices). The internals sound great and the most annoying thing for me with streaming through some of these devices is the slowness of menus and app loading (except my PS3 which is great). Sounds like the Fire TV solved this with 2GB RAM and Quad-core processing. I just bought a new Samsung Blu-Ray player a few days ago that is a lot faster that most with menus and apps, but now I'm a litle jealous.

Upvote 0
    I don't think I'll get one. Not because I don't think it looks awesome (it looks great!) but I already have 4 gaming consoles hooked up to my TV, and this doesn't offer anything they don't. That aside, if I weren't already equipped to the teeth with stuff already it'd definitely be a mainstay for my living room.

Wait a mo... your a blogger on arguably the largest Android site and your not going to buy one to even blog about it and to snuggle with your special Android something? :D (it IS running Android right??)

No worries I am just picking :p

Am I the only person wondering what's inside this sucker and have to get one just because I am a gadget guy that has got to take it apart to see? :D

Upvote 0
    Wait a mo... your a blogger on arguably the largest Android site and your not going to buy one to even blog about it and to snuggle with your special Android something? :D (it IS running Android right??)

No worries I am just picking :p

Am I the only person wondering what's inside this sucker and have to get one just because I am a gadget guy that has got to take it apart to see? :D

What do you mean what's in it? Hardware wise we know whats in there it's on the site. If your talking about just a tear down then just wait as I'm sure one will occur.

After all this isn't something made by a Chinese manufacture being sold by the guy at the front desk, this is made by a Chinese manufacture being sold by Amazon... Amazon will want better results.

Upvote 0
    What do you mean what's in it? Hardware wise we know whats in there it's on the site. If your talking about just a tear down then just wait as I'm sure one will occur.

After all this isn't something made by a Chinese manufacture being sold by the guy at the front desk, this is made by a Chinese manufacture being sold by Amazon... Amazon will want better results.

Just an old EE that likes to take stuff apart and look :D
    I want to actually look upon the guts.. read data sheets, etc.

We know that iFixit or those other guys are going to tear it down but I just like to do it myself too.

Unless it has a warranty seal.... yeah I can get those off but I don't get into things with those on em.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones