• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Amazon Instant Video no longer works on any browser

harambee78

Lurker
Apr 23, 2013
Up until a week ago I was able to watch Amazon Instant video on my Nexus 10 using the standard workaround. Specifically, installing the Flash apk and using Boat Browser. Then about a week ago it suddenly no longer works. I tried other browsers (FF, Maxthon, Dolphin), reinstalled Flash, etc., etc. Flash adverts work just fine but when I go to play an Amazon VOD it says 'Connecting' but then never loads up. Exact same in every browser.

Did some searching and found at least two other people out in the cyberverse who have experienced the same thing.

So, anyone know what's going on? Amazon finally figure out a way to stop this work around? Is there another option?

Amazon Instant Video, as of about April 19th, will no longer play on Android via a browser using the Flash plugin. They have switched to using Silverlight, probably due to their plans to develop original content and desire to signup other content providers that have balked due to lack of DRM thus far.

So, right now, Android owners without Kindles are out of luck until a Silverlight plugin is ported to Android or Amazon releases an app for other devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones