1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon MP3 app on Droid "Credit card could not be charged"

Last Updated:

1. shradej1

shradej1 New Member This Topic's Starter

Let me start by saying that the Droid is a pretty impressive piece of technology.

I tried purchasing an MP3 through the Amazon MP3 app, which comes pre-installed on the Droid. Everything looked like it was working fine, until I got to the checkout part. I entered my amazon e-mail and password, accepted the terms of service, and was immediately taken to the "Now purchasing" screen - I was never prompted for a method of payment (is this normal).

Now, the status of my purchase says:
    (checked) Purchase started
    (checked) User authenticated
    (red circle with line through it) Credit card could not be charged. Please check your account settings.
    An unknown error has occurred.
    Queued downloads.
    Purchase failed.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are others prompted to choose a payment method? The only other posts that I've found with this problem are from people in the UK who bought the phone in the US. The responses indicate that the problem is maybe due to the app accessing the US store, but the user being located in the UK. I bought my phone in Maryland, and that's where I live, so I don't see how this could be the problem.

Thanks,

Josh

Advertisement
  2. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

Do you have a method of payment set up with that particular account you used? Ive purchased at least one song off amazon on my phone and it worked without issue. Of course, I had set everything up on the computer prior to trying to buy anything.

3. shradej1

shradej1 New Member This Topic's Starter

Yeah, it's just my regular Amazon account that I've used many times over, to buy books, etc... I even downloaded some mp3's on my computer directly from Amazon, which worked fine.

Maybe it's because I have multiple payment methods set up... Hold on a sec...

Well what do you know? I deleted all of my payment methods except one, and lo and behold, it worked. Apparently the app gets confused if multiple payment methods are set up.

Another explanation may be that I had, as the first payment method listed, a bank account set up - not a credit card. I suppose that could've been the problem.

I hope this helps anyone else that comes across this problem. Try removing all but one payment method.

4. Unimaginative

Unimaginative Member

Thought I'd throw this in in-case anyone else had this issue and didn't realise this; When I went to Amazon's site to set up that One-Touch Purchase thing after getting that message on my phone it pointed out I wasn't eligible as I'm not in the US. Sounds stupid, but hey, other people in the world may be as dim as I am!

5. chris.h

chris.h Well-Known Member

It wasn't working for me (I have a bank account for seller purposes as well as a credit card) but I got it working by going onto the amazon.com website, clicking "Your Account" going down to "1-Click Settings" and editing my address to have the default payment method be my credit card. Then clicked continue (I kept 1-Click off though because I don't want it on).

It's worked after that.

6. icstars989

icstars989 Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me, I just kept re-hitting submit and the stubborn S.O.B finally budged and charged just fine. No problems since that initial hangup.

7. hezhonker

hezhonker Member

I wrote to them and told them they need to prompt the user or respect the default payment method entered in the account online. I will let you know what they say. I bought several songs only to realize the app was just using whatever card it wanted. I had four different cc's in the account and had set my default to my payal debit card but it never did work. Deletion of all the other cards was the only way to get it to use the paypal.

8. hezhonker

hezhonker Member

UPDATE: I spoke with Amazon on the phone and gave them some feedback. I realize you can activate the 1-Click, but for users who don't want to there needs to be some sort of prompt.

I also asked them to make it clearer that 1-Click defaults in the user account online control the MP3 purchases if active. If 1-Click is not activated in the user account online, the MP3 Store will select a card from those stored in the account payment methods. This selection appears not respect the setting in Payment Options for default payment method which is different than the 1-Click default.

They said they would definitely update their site to make this clearer and speak with the devs on the app.