• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Amazon Resellers - Close to MSRP. Trident case - any concern about fakes?

njweb

Lurker
Jul 25, 2012
I ordered a Trident case for my Note 3 from Amazon.
I had first ordered one directly from the manufacturer but they are all the way on the opposite coast and I likely won't get it in time (going away).

I found a reseller on Amazon selling the same Trident case 'brand new, in retail packaging' one state over from me so I will receive it in time.

The Amazon reseller price is slightly less than MSRP ($34.99 as opposed to $39.95).
Should I be concerned with Trident fakes (for the Note 3) given the Otterbox fakes from China?

The Amazon reseller has a 94% rating in the past 12 months and there was not a single mention of fakes in any of the 200+ reviews in the past 12 months.

I suspect the reseller is are legit (e.g. they bought a bunch from a wholesaler selling the original Trident case), but I wanted some reassurance from the androidforums community.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!!

Amazon is really good with situations like this. I've never had the problem (and I buy a lot from their resellers), but I know a few people who have had problems, and Amazon resolved them nicely and quickly. Just be sure you're not asking for things you're not really entitled to - no one wants to deal with someone like that.

(I yake it back - I had one problem with a Chinese reseller, but the whole transaction was less than $2, so it didn't pay to pursue it.)

Upvote 0
Amazon is really good with situations like this. I've never had the problem (and I buy a lot from their resellers), but I know a few people who have had problems, and Amazon resolved them nicely and quickly. Just be sure you're not asking for things you're not really entitled to - no one wants to deal with someone like that.

(I yake it back - I had one problem with a Chinese reseller, but the whole transaction was less than $2, so it didn't pay to pursue it.)

Thanks for the reassurance (based on your extensive experience)!
I'll a follow-up once I have received the case.

My main inquiry was just around fake cases given recent reports of fake Otterboxes (packaging is almost perfect).
I know Amazon will help if I were to get a fake (not that I am expecting to).

Upvote 0
Actually, Amazon is a new place to laundry fakes lol!!! It takes one click to create merchant account, and you add your product under existing legitimate listing. Since I review a lot of accessories, I talk directly to all the vendors and hear these stories everybody. Every big vendor, Spigen or UAG or Arkon and others - have dedicated teams now to comb through amazon and ebay to weed out fakes.

So here is my 2 cents. When you are dealing with brand name cases, DO NOT buy them from Chinese re-sellers. Any Otterbox or UAG or Trident out of China will be fake. And guess what? A bunch of US resellers buy these fakes from alibaba and re-sell them on Amazon or eBay as US resellers. So red flag #2 - watch out for deeply discounted price from US merchants that sell in bulk. If you have someone selling a single case, perhaps they got it as a present or changed their mind 30 days later and can't return it back. But if someone selling a bunch at a cheap price - stay away. Then, also these fake resellers vised up and now you can find someone from Brooklyn selling new Spigen cases for a few bucks less then original. That one is tough to spot, and there were dozens of cases with Galaxy S4 of people reporting fakes sold from US merchants, while the product didn't have exactly the correct color and one of the letters was misspelled intentionally on the label (thus avoiding legal action since its not a knock-off if one letter is off). So if in doubt, maybe contact original manufacturer and ask them if that particular volume reseller on amazon is their partner or not.

Sorry, but Amazon is no longer a safe place to shop. It's still the best place to shop because of hassle free return. But you have to be very careful what you are clicking on to buy. Try to buy from those vendors who have Amazon prime or free shipping (on orders $35) since it's processed by amazon and you don't have to deal with a merchant directly. Don't just look at the lower price to click to buy, look who exactly you are buying from.

Earlier this year I thought I was buying a legitimate 32GB Sandisk micro-SD, until it failed 5 months later. When I contacted Sandisk and took pictures for RMA it turned out to be fake without s/n on the back. They still replaced it for me since I provided my Amazon receipt. But I learned my lesson.

Upvote 0
Quick Update:

I ordered early Friday afternoon and received the case early this afternoon (one state away).
It was a NY reseller, as noted.
The case arrived in the Trident retail box in perfect condition.
:)
PS: I love the case!

Now I am just waiting for my MIME feather glass replacement to arrive (had ordered it before getting the Trident which has a built-in screen protector).
That will hopefully be the last time I remove the case...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones