Ambient Light Sensor not working

Last Updated:

1. poseidon

poseidon New Member This Topic's Starter

I've got an HTC Desire from a T-Mobile store 3 weeks ago. The ambient light sensor has never worked and it's enabled on the display settings.

I went back to the T-Mobile store and they tried a brand new unit. Unfortunately, that one also seem to have the same issue. Then I called the HTC technical support and they say there are no reports on such kind of issue.

Is anyone experiencing this problem? If not, does the display brightness get adjusted quickly or slowly?

Any help is much appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. Karolis

Karolis Well-Known Member

The difference is so minimal under normal use that it's hard to notice. The best way to test it is by putting your phone against the lamp at night and then turning off the light. It should go from very bright to average brightness.

3. sandozer

sandozer Well-Known Member

The light sensor is in the same electronic package as the proximity sensor.

There is a free app called "Sensor Test" which will test all the droid sensors. You can then easily see the light sensor data. :cool:

4. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

If the keys light in the dark, and turn off in the light then it's working.

It seems to gradually step up/down brightness rather than jumping up and down so it isnt always obvious it's working.

5. poseidon

poseidon New Member This Topic's Starter

The sensor test app shows that the light sensor is actually working. The keys backlight also turns on when there is no ambient light.

So clearly the sensor is fine and the backlight adjustment is just really slow compared to my Hero.

Happy to see that there is no problem after all. :)

Thank you guys for your help!