• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ambient light sensor

cdmackay

Aug 8, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I've seen claims that the Hero has a light sensor, and I see the "automatic" backlight enabled in Settings, but I'm not seeing much in the way of backlight adjustment occurring.

Even in an otherwise dark room, the backlight seems very bright. Occasionally I see the backlight go dim and then almost immediately come back up.

Anyone else seeing this? anyone have it working properly?

thanks much...

yup, I should have tested more carefully. If I turn out the lights in a bright room, it does indeed ratchet down several levels. The lowest auto level is still way bright, that's why I'd barely noticed.

You can see this by turning the manual level all the way down, which gives you a nice low level for use in total darkness, I find. then enable auto and you'll see it brighten considerably, ending up too bright.

I feel a widget coming on :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones