• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Amlogic M3 (ICS) and MX (JB) overview and what to expect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

long time no word from me and I'm sorry about that.

I already few times explained why I don't support anymore Visson products etc, so I'm not going to do it again :)

Here's few words on current Amlogic souces and what can be expected from hardware manufacturers...

M3 platform... They released new ICS source branch at the end of January this year. 4.0.4 version of Android, kernel version is 2.6.34. Not much to say about it, mostly bugfixes, kernel optimizations, few new drivers...

MX platform... MX started with 2.6.34 kernel and ICS, they moved on to 3.0.8 kernel and JellyBean 4.1.1 and 4.1.2. These releases of JB were pretty buggy and unstable. In late November last year I got info that they will not do they best to get 4.1.2 stable. Instead of that they put their resources to porting 4.2.1 JB to MX platform. First useable sources for MBX (Android TV boxes) were released in January. Still buggy, needs more time to get all things working, but so far it's good.

Current status of MX JellyBean (20130131): Android version: 4.2.1, Kernel version: 3.0.50. Stability: Needs more bugfixing and testing but so far so good :)

Also, Amlogic does not have intention to prepare JB for M3 platform and certainly does not support it. Porting JB to M3 is pain in the a** actually... My M3 product runs on JB 4.1.2, but not Amlogic sources.... AOSP 4.1.2_r1 as base + drivers and proprietaries from Amlogic. That works pretty good :)

Dear Stane1983,
ein paar Bierchen is no problem . I am a newbie .I have got a ethernet TV box with single core M3-8726 platform. as you see that the box plays terrible , there 're so many bugs. I would like to learn kernel programming and kernel optimization on it.
Do you have any Information about Amlogic ?
I need your helps or hint from you.

best regard for you

dick

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones