AMOLED display technology: limited life spanGeneral

1. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Hey, while discussing the Galaxy with a coworker today, he mentioned that OLED displays 'wear out'. That was the first I have heard of it, so I looked it up.

From Wikipedia's OLED page:

Advertisement
  2. Mansn

Mansn Well-Known Member

The Wikipedia page is talking about OLED diplays. AMOLEDs are more refined. I'll try and find some wear and tear stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if they last longer.

Plus 5 years for a phone is quite a lot. (do you use your phone with the screen on 8 hours a day?). At a max I would guess four hours, but that's still a lot, so really the expected life is closer to 10 years, which is more than enough in my opinion.
  3. Mansn

Mansn Well-Known Member

This is what I found on the quick:

Source: Samsung

As it's 2009 now, I wouldn't be surprised if AMOLED has an even longer lifespan now.

EDIT: Samsung wants 50 000 by 2009 according to a 2007 article where they have 20 000 hour displays already (Source)

EDIT2: A 2007 news article claiming 30 000 hour life spans for AMOLEDs.

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Oh I quite agree, I don't think we'll see end-of-life events before we tire of the devices. And, even 4h/day seems like a high bar.

I just wanted to mention this aging aspect, because it was news to me. :cool:
  5. Mansn

Mansn Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that you didn't have a valid point. It's good to make people aware of these things. I just really like researching things and backing it up with evidence (I can't help it, I have just completed a science degree at uni).

It's just that I think you will have broken the phone, the battery will be flat, or any other combination of things before you have to worry about the screen going on you. Or you bought a new handset with a 2 GHz processor with a full HD 3.2 inch display :p
  6. AdamHC

AdamHC Well-Known Member

Not really something to worry about at all. By the time you have used the life out of the screen you will probably have broken the phone some other way or at least be itching for a new phone.
  7. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Most of us itch for a NEW phone daily ... Never Satisfied !! :rolleyes: :cool:
  8. AdamHC

AdamHC Well-Known Member

You're telling me. I bought my HTC Diamond in February and I've wanted a new phone for a few months now. That's partly cause it is WinMo and I hate it, hopefully next time since I will get an android phone I will be able to look after it longer.
  9. sjoller

sjoller New Member

Unfortunately wear and tear can show sooner than the manufacturer provided number of hours.
    I've had my phone (Nexus One with the AMOLED screen) plugged in all day at work for some months and when plugged in, the screen didn't go to sleep, resulting in a burn-in of my homepage. It's usually not noticeable, but on all-white screens there's clear shadows from the burn-in.

I know this is not completely on topic, but it's a warning (and a lesson learned for me) to others, on not to take these numbers too literally.