AMOLED screen fade?

Last Updated:

1. thilan29

thilan29 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone have any experience with this?

I've heard that AMOLED screens do fade (blues are the first to go apparently), and much quicker than TFT screens or plasmas. Has there been any numbers/tests on this for the Nexus One?

I'm trying to choose between Milestone (keyboard may or may not be useful for me) and the Nexus and here are some of the (possible) issues holding me back from the Nexus:
    -dust under screen (the major one I'm worried about)
    -fragile screen? (debatable of course)
    -AMOLED fade (not sure how much of an issue that is)
    -poor audio quality
    -touch buttons need to be pressed slightly above the actual icon

Anyone care to share their experiences...especially those that were on the fence with the Nexus and another phone?

I actually have a Nexus coming in couple of days but it was bought from the US a day before it became available in Canada since I didn't know it was going to be sold here in Canada :mad:. If what I listed above are actually prevalent issues then I will probably just try to sell the phone here and get a Milestone (build quality and performance is very good from reviews I've read).

Another issue is the warranty, since mine is imported from someone else, I wouldn't get a warranty. How important is this considering some of the issues?

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement
  2. timbro

timbro Active Member

Organic LED - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays

3. thilan29

^So have any of those OLED-saving technologies been implemented into the Nexus screen?

Just found this:
    http://www.displaymate.com/Nexus_One_ShootOut.htm

Damn, the Nexus didn't do very well in the screen tests.

And vs the iPhone 3Gs:
    http://www.displaymate.com/Nexus_iPhone_ShootOut.htm
    "The Nexus One OLED display has many spectacular qualities, but it is also loaded with lots of rough edges, hasty unfinished beta display drivers and Android software including principal applications like the Browser and Gallery, poorly implemented image processing, poor system integration together with sub-standard factory display calibration. It really looks and behaves like a prototype for a very nice future display, not a finished production display for a world class mobile device that Google markets it to be. It will be interesting to see the degree to which existing units will be corrected and improved with software updates."

4. theartfullodger

theartfullodger Well-Known Member

fanbois strike again...

In my experience I've seen no evidence of beta drivers, image processing seems stunning (beat the manure out of an iDog) and display calibration amazes anyone who's seen it...

But, Gallery - yup, that needs some more work!

Cheers!

Lodger

5. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Blah blah blah, badly done test is bad, the people at displaymate were idiots and far from thorough or professional. It's been confirmed and tested that the problem was with the gallery app; the rough edges and banding don't happen in third-party gallery apps.

6. macprv

macprv Well-Known Member

yeah that test is just not accurate or not done right.. on your nexus one go to nasa and open the same picture and youll see no problems:cool:

7. thilan29

Thanks to all for the input on the screen.

Anything to add on the general build quality? Especially about the dust problem?

8. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

No dust problem here, but I did do the "hairdryer near screen and press the corners down" method just in case. Even before that, though, I couldn't find any dust.

FYI, dust under screen is more or less par for the course for most touch-screen phones. Google up "dust under screen iphone." :p

9. darkLuke

darkLuke Active Member

No dust here (yet?? :D - anyway it doesn't look like i will get it)
    Audio hmmm... Speaker isn't good (but I've seen worse), headphones are crap (change thm if you have any) but I'm using Creative HQ1900 and I'm very happy
    Touch buttons - I personally dont have any problems with them - I only have bas habbit from my viewty to tap with my fingertip (just habbot - i always forget they ara capacitive).

10. macprv

macprv Well-Known Member

no dust problem here, knock on wood!.. i do find (as well) the speaker not so loud, but its loud enough to hear it when its ringing inside my pocket:eek:, other than that, im satisfied with my purchase:D

11. migeeman

migeeman Member

The more I hear about the Nexus one, the more I think its a bust. Poor performing multi-touch, bad screen quality, dust reported in some users screens, and poor battery life- what happened to the super phone that they promised?

12. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh, hang on let me guess.....you have an iphone & you are a troll?
    Great 4th post of yours here - very negative.

13. Viralmind

Viralmind Well-Known Member

just to let you know i dont have any of those problems with my N1 and the multi-touch works great btw.