AMOLED vs. LCD ScreensGeneral

1. marrow226

marrow226 Member

I don't know if there has been anymore elaboration on the subject of the impending switch to LCD for the Incredibles or when it was supposed to go into effect, but I may or may not have stumbled onto something. I, finally, received my phone today. I haven't turned it on yet, as I have it sitting on the charger for another 3 hours. However, I did happen to flip through some of the booklets that came with the phone. If everyone could gather up their "Product Safety & Warranty Brochure," we can compare and see if there is a difference. On page 8 under the "Cleaning" bullet, it says "blah blah blah blah, but NEVER use water to clean the LCD screen." If any of you got your phones weeks or months earlier and it says "LED" for you, the switch may have already happened. As I said, I haven't turned the phone on yet and this is the only thing I have to go off of right now.

Advertisement
  2. prerunnerseth

prerunnerseth Well-Known Member

Day before release phone, says the same thing.
  3. marrow226

marrow226 Member

Ah. Well, I guess they never bothered to edit their default warnings. Hah. Thanks for the reply.
  4. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

Why bother editing something nobody ever reads.
  5. marrow226

marrow226 Member

True. Though, I read the ingredients on the back of ketchup bottles, steak sauce, etc while I wait for food to come at a restaurant. If I'm bored, I read stupid shit.
    sal_shawn likes this.
  6. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Welcome to the forums! "Lucky you", now you can play with your Incredible while waiting for food instead of having to read ketchup bottles...
  7. Beardown

Beardown Active Member

I talked to 3 different reps today. 2 on the phone then one thru the chat on the website. The first said that the switch happened in June and that is why there is such a delay....she supposedly put me on hold and talked to a tech. I called back in an hour talked to someone else and they said that if you order now it will ship with the amoled screen. The person on the chat said they did not have that information available to them. I want to order but don't really want the new screen....might just have to keep the eris till the next HTC comes out....
  8. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

The lesson here is...the reps don't know and they also don't want to tell you that they don't know so they make stuff up.

Same goes for the techs.
  9. euph_22

It might be blasphemous, and the AMOLED screen is one of the reasons I wanted this phone (besides the fact that it's the best phone on the best network). But I'm curious to see what the reviews will be once somebody actually gets the SLCD in there hands. It is Super after all.
  10. euph_22

with the Barcode scanner, you can do both! Use the incredible to read up on ketchup.
    Indrux and GrandMasterB like this.
  11. Dex

Dex Well-Known Member

Imagine those of us who have the phone with the AMOLED screen. I preordered and I have my phone. I am terrified to take it in, even if there was a legitimate problem with it. I have been lucky, I guess. My call quality is fine. My screen isn't pink. My battery sucks, but that's just how it is. Even if I did have a problem, I couldn't just take it back to the store. There were no Incredibles to be had anywhere. So, I take back my phone and just sputter around on an Eris for a couple months while I wait to get my phone back? I think not.

With the impending change I almost want to call Verizon and ask if I can just get the Droid X. Not because I like the phone or think it's any better, but because I at least know that they aren't going to change a major selling point on that phone just a few short months after it's release. HTC is a good company and I understand that they made a mistake and it has landed them here where they have to make this decision. I don't know how hard it must have been to make, but they had to know that they were going to lose business. This might lose them my business altogether.
  12. TKollman88

TKollman88 Well-Known Member

What will be the easiest way to tell the difference between the two screens? I just got my replacement in the mail so I can let you guys know.
  13. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Hard to say, since you would need both to compare. Amoled will look more vivid and the contrast will look better. Lcd should have sharper text.

"Beer", it's what's for dinner.
  14. euph_22

AMOLED black would be alot more black than LCD
  15. TKollman88

TKollman88 Well-Known Member

I have then side by side and can't tell a difference.
  16. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

This. Try all black screens in a dark room.
  17. silverxbv2

silverxbv2 Well-Known Member

Good. I needed a good laugh.
  18. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Probably have two of the same screen then :)
  19. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

TF2, listen_silent, Lukin and 17 others like this.
  20. TonyG916

TonyG916 Well-Known Member

I notice a huge difference in screen quality comparing the incredible to the evo 4g

the incredible screen colors are more vivid and has true blacks. the lcd screen on the evo is garbage imo
  21. Redoxase

Redoxase Member

Very nice! I've always wondered what the differences were and now I know!

Thanks!
  22. Ovreagr

Ovreagr Well-Known Member

Has HTC switched to the LCD screens for the Incredibles being built/shipped now?
  23. gurana

gurana Well-Known Member

I was wondering that myself... while it wasn't the only reason I went with incredible, it certain was a reason. Seems slightly shady to pull a switcharoo like that without any customer input, if that's indeed what happened.
  24. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

Yes, they are now using LCD rather than wait for samsung, who I believe makes the AMOLED, to work out their supply issues.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
  25. AndyLL

AndyLL Well-Known Member

Has there been any confimation of this switch outside of a Korean newspaper article?