• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AMOLED vs. LCD Screens

quick question here...

i compared my roomates incredible (who got his near launch day) and my incredible (received in mail july 12th) and noticed that if you put the screen brightness all the way down on both phones, mine has a purplish tint while his doesn't.

ill add the fact that i have a steinheil screen protector while his doesn't, but i was wondering if the purplish tint with screen brightness all the way down has something to do with it??

Upvote 0
quick question here...

i compared my roomates incredible (who got his near launch day) and my incredible (received in mail july 12th) and noticed that if you put the screen brightness all the way down on both phones, mine has a purplish tint while his doesn't.

ill add the fact that i have a steinheil screen protector while his doesn't, but i was wondering if the purplish tint with screen brightness all the way down has something to do with it??

AMOLED screens, have a habit of developing a light tint of varying colors. It's a minor issue that affects a small number of people (and some made a big deal when the Nexus One showed this issue). If it bothers you, you should try to exchange it with Verizon. If you're in your first 30 days, they'll give you a new phone. Outside of 30 days, it's a refurb.

Upvote 0
AMOLED screens, have a habit of developing a light tint of varying colors. It's a minor issue that affects a small number of people (and some made a big deal when the Nexus One showed this issue). If it bothers you, you should try to exchange it with Verizon. If you're in your first 30 days, they'll give you a new phone. Outside of 30 days, it's a refurb.

hm. well my girlfriend's does the exact same thing that mine does. you guys should see what yours does. i dont think theres anything wrong with my screen, it looks amazing. lol

Upvote 0
I currently have a Droid X and I am contemplating returning it and getting a Droid Incredible before my return window closes. I am curious to find out as to how I can tell which kind of screen it will have. I have read that the Incredible is being switched over to (inferior?) SLCD screens from the AMOLED that they had when the first came out. I am no expert on phone screens, but I do know that my buddys super AMOLED screen looks fantastic compared to the screen on my X. And I have compared my X to the Incredible in stores and I like what I see.

And no, I'm not just thinking of switching because of the screen. I love the size of the X's screen, but I'm having a hard time using the phone because of the size. Plus I'm not a fan of what Motorola has done with the user experience. I have played with Sense and I really like it. So those are my reasons for thinking about the switch.

I just want to make sure that I am getting one with the better screen. The AMOLED is better, right? I'm not concerned about battery life as I will get the extended battery eventually and am never far from an outlet to charge.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Engadget just did a side-by-side comparison of the HTC Desire AMOLED vs Desire SLCD. The Desire is basically the GSM European cousin of the Incredible.

Spot the difference: HTC Desire's SLCD versus AMOLED -- Engadget

I would take SLCD any day of the week. You can clearly see the Pentile Matrix sub-rendering problems in the gallery.

OMG! You're right! It's so noticeable! I spend every day with the phone 1cm away from my eyeball! Thank you!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/09/amoledslcdvs09102010.jpg

I'll take the better battery life between the two technologies, thanks.

Dont worry, its a trade off. There was a web browsing battery test and all the Amoled, Super Amoled phones did bad.

But not on the same phone where the only difference was the screen...

Upvote 0
^If u just go by that web browsing test, the X has a 4.3" screen, the Samsung phones 4". I would assume a bigger screen would eat more battery life than a smaller one.

The X and the Samsung phones both have 45nm chips, which is better on battery life compared to the 65nm ones in the EVO and Inc.

Upvote 0
They look very similar. People always complain "AMOLED sucks under sunlight", looks like they are similar in the photos.

No, they don't look similar. If you look at the shot with the calendar, you can clearly see the fuzziness of the text due to the Pentile Matrix crap. I value legibility and eye-strain over battery life. And you don't need to be an inch away to see it.
Like someone said, there is a trade-off. I use my phone for reading email and text.

Upvote 0
The main issue though is the SLCD tests so far with the N1 and Desire suggest same continued use (movies are example) results in 30% less battery life compared to amoled. I would rather have a little less sharpness than take a 30% battery hit.

That said, whites drain more power with amoled, so if you watch a lot of movies with a snow theme, amoled would be worse (stay away from The Thing! or snow ski vids ;) ). Web browing (if a lot of white) would hurt too.

ANOTHER reason why this site should not have dumped Tapatalk ;)

Upvote 0
No, they don't look similar. If you look at the shot with the calendar, you can clearly see the fuzziness of the text due to the Pentile Matrix crap. I value legibility and eye-strain over battery life. And you don't need to be an inch away to see it.
Like someone said, there is a trade-off. I use my phone for reading email and text.

If the Inc's screen is really fuzzy to you, you already have eye problems.

Upvote 0
If the Inc's screen is really fuzzy to you, you already have eye problems.

I think there is a reading comprehension problem. I did not say the screen, I said the fuzziness of the text. I stand by that claim.
See below. I see the edge color bleeding due to the Pentile Matrix sub rendering.

amoledslcdg2009102010.jpg

I don't need to be an inch away. I can clearly see it from 12 inches away in every day, normal usage.

The Pentile Matrix Sub-rendering is a very, very real and tangibly quantifiable item.
Pentile Matrix has a by-product that cannot be disputed. That by-product is fringing as evident in the image. Around the edge you get displaced red pixels that makes the text blurry and gives you an eyestrain if you try to read a lot of black on white.

Upvote 0
I think there is a reading comprehension problem. I did not say the screen, I said the fuzziness of the text. I stand by that claim.
See below. I see the edge color bleeding due to the Pentile Matrix sub rendering.

I don't need to be an inch away. I can clearly see it from 12 inches away in every day, normal usage.

The Pentile Matrix Sub-rendering is a very, very real and tangibly quantifiable item.
Pentile Matrix has a by-product that cannot be disputed. That by-product is fringing as evident in the image. Around the edge you get displaced red pixels that makes the text blurry and gives you an eyestrain if you try to read a lot of black on white.

I have to agree. I went from the HTC Imagio to the DInc and the first thing that I noticed was fuzzy text. I don't think the average person would notice it, but I spend a lot of my time reading on my phones. It is very apparent with small text.

Upvote 0

amoledslcdg2009102010.jpg

I never said it wasn't there. I said no one really cares but you, it seems. I have never looked at my phone and though "Man, that text is fuzzy". It's certainly not an issue for most people otherwise there would be complaints about it like there are battery issues or 3G randomly dropping out.

If we were talking about a computer monitor or a TV, something that is meant to be looked at for a long time and show decent detail, I might agree with you. But it's a p-h-o-n-e. Not that big of a deal. I browse the internet on it just fine. I watch movies just fine. And I enjoy it that much more because while mobile under varied lighting conditions the over-saturated colors of the AMOLED screen make it easier and more pleasurable to view. Do I want those colors on my home TV? No. That's why I have a brand new LED/LCD 52" for that.

Just remember that this is a phone, and not everyone cares about a pentile matrix. In fact, most don't. I only care because I want them to start making TVs with AMOLED (or Super AMOLED I guess, minus the color saturation) and they can't do that with reasonable quality on that scale and still use pentile.

Upvote 0
He's not the only one who cares....I care, and some other folks on this forum care. Its one reason I and those other folks dont really like Amoled, S Amoled right now. My main thing is detail and clarity.

I do more reading on my phone than anything. I have yet to watch a movie on it. And I had my phone(s) since April this year. All the games I play on it look good to me.

See the post right above yours? Thats another person who notices it cuz they read alot on their phone...

LCD vs. Amoled.... its all about what u use the phone for that will determine which u think is best. Neither screen is better than the other.

Upvote 0
He's not the only one who cares....I care, and some other folks on this forum care. Its one reason I and those other folks dont really like Amoled, S Amoled right now. My main thing is detail and clarity.

I do more reading on my phone than anything. I have yet to watch a movie on it. And I had my phone(s) since April this year. All the games I play on it look good to me.

See the post right above yours? Thats another person who notices it cuz they read alot on their phone...

LCD vs. Amoled.... its all about what u use the phone for that will determine which u think is best. Neither screen is better than the other.

Yeah...I can see the argument. I still like AMOLED over LCD, but the pentile submatrix is pretty bad.

Upvote 0
Tt
In case you guys missed it from a few days ago, what this means if you get a refurbished phone in the future with SLCD (vs. your most-probably AMOLED current phone) or plan on buying a DInc soon.

The Difference Between AMOLED and SLCD Screens | AndroidGuys)

But the same screen shot that they show says that if you get a replacement, it will have the same type of screen a the original (they replace amoled with amoled and slcd with slcd)

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Been having problems since the 2.2 update. Poor 3G and horrible battery life with little use. I can get passed the battery issue using the 2150mA battery. The connection problem I can't deal with. And yes I did a factory reset.

I call Verizon now and told the tech my problems. Said he is sending out a "Certified Like New Replacement' which according to him will have the SLCD. He mentioned it will help battery life etc. I ask 'So you already have SLCD certified like new replacement units'... He said we sure do.

So how do I tell when I get the replacement phone if it is indeed a SLCD :thinking: SKU #:thinking:

I also read that if you have an AMOLED DINC it will be replaced with an AMOLED DINC not SLCD... Thoughts please..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones