AMOLED vs. TFT LCD

Last Updated:

1. ttype86

ttype86 Member This Topic's Starter

Can u tech guys please explain the major differences in the 2 screens? (amoled and tft) I realize the amoled is brighter, better angle viewing etc... the main problem im having understanding is that some people are saying there is minor lag on the amoled screens compared to the tft lcd screen. and then another site will say the exact opposite. please explain.:confused:

Advertisement
  2. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

AMOLED screens still have a TFT layer, you want to know the differences between AMOLED and LCD screens ;)

In a nutshell, LCD screens require a backlight, whereas AMOLED screens provide their own light (being built from LED's and all that)

3. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

on amoled, each pixel controls it's own color/brightness, since it is an individual LED, so black on AMOLED is an off pixel technically, on LCD black still has a light behind it. basically colors are more rich and vibrant on AMOLED

4. adamlovesu

adamlovesu Well-Known Member

amoled screens use the pixels to light the screen.

5. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

amoleds also have a unique glow to them... strong on cyans and oranges it seems...

6. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

Also, because of not needing a backlight, amoled has a lower battery draw than an lcd.

7. Fatal Exception

Fatal Exception Well-Known Member

Next question... why cant I have an OMOLED TV?

8. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Because you can't afford one.

9. Fatal Exception

Fatal Exception Well-Known Member

:-(

10. Germwise

Germwise Well-Known Member

a small 19 inch sony TV using AMOLED a couple years back was something like 11k.

Now its a few thousand. Making big amoled screens is expensive!

11. konman795

konman795 Well-Known Member

lol, that made me laugh...so true though

12. bvalentine

bvalentine Member

In my opinion, this is the most important difference between the Samsung Galaxy S and the HTC EVO 4g. I'm concerned about the power consumption of that tft display on the EVO. Still hesitantly leaning toward the EVO for 4g and HTC though. I've had a couple of samsung phones and respect their durability but having their own os and being new to android, I'm guessing HTC is safer bet.

13. RogerPodacter

RogerPodacter Well-Known Member

there is no lag. actually AMOLED is actually faster refresh rate than LCD. at least that's what i've read on all the sites and wikipedia article.

14. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

An LCD screen will outlast an AMOLED screen though.

15. bvalentine

bvalentine Member

How long do AMOLED screens last? What kind of problems show up?

16. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Think it's less than half the length of an LCD's life, and they also suffer burn-in.

17. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

18. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

19. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

Lifespan is only considered an issue on AMOLED with televisions and other applications where expected lifespan is far greater than a cell phone and the expected daily usage is many times higher. Mobile handsets are much shorter lived with a fraction of the daily screen time. In this application the screen should last several times the lifespan of a handset even for those that sit on a phone for years. This is often brought up on the phone sites as being an issue with AMOLED but the reality is it simply doesnt apply to mobile handsets. Sorry about not being clear the first time.

kumarvarun172 likes this.
  20. incredadroid

incredadroid New Member

thank you all for your insight. I was searching for the answers provided here without having to search through 1000's of threads giving contradicting information leaving me with the same confused look i had when I started

21. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

So my notification bar has started to burn (or Ghost?) into the screen. I guess I'm a heavy user as I use Google Nav...

22. snakeybidder

snakeybidder Well-Known Member

By the way you can buy a samsung 1080p 55" 3d amoled tv for

23. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

Wow you are already getting burn in with the nofitication bar? How often are you using the Google Navigation and for what duration? I just got the google N1 car dock (which is pretty nice) last week and was using google nav over the weekend, the first thing that came to my mind was how long can I run this safely? Might only break it out now when I really need it.

24. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I use it on average 3 days a week as my main Sat Nav. I have used it since Nav came out in the UK (around a month?) and the screen is usually at around 50% brightness in the car. I guess some days it can be on for around 4 hours in the car depending on where I travel for work. I have now begun to switch off the screen when I know where I'm going on main roads etc and only use the Nav to guide to my final destination.

I have had the phone since January which makes it 5 months old now. I would say that before Nav came to the UK I used the phone as many people would use any smartphone. The screen has rarely been used at 100% (only when in direct sunlight) and normally at around 50% for all generall use. I'm using a launcher which hides the bar, but as soon as you browse the web, use maps/nav and other apps the notification bar shows up again.

I'm quite annoyed by this and would go so far as to say that the screen is not fit for purpose.

Anyway, It's becoming more of a recognised problem:

Screen Burn-In - Android Help

justdoit and Mostly Harmless like this.
  25. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

Thanks Martin, this is good information. I don't think I would use it nearly that much (I don't travel that much) but it's good to know (at the cost of your phone) that it can occur with prolong periods of time. Hopefully once in a while won't hurt it that much.