• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Amon_RA 1.6.2 Custom Recovery: trackball not required!

I tried it on my laptop at home ( I was at work earler this afternoon) and I still got the same error message in gsscript lite. Also when I go and type the getprop ro.build.product" command in the android emulator it says command not found.

Just to confirm I am running on Android 2.2 using Kaos Froyo v 34.

Okay, thanks for the re-confirmation... I'll check it out as soon as I get home and get back with you. :)

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue as Jon. I get the same message when loading the script "your phone is reported to be a:"
I also did the Terminal emulator command you told jon to run, and i got the same thing, it says command not found.

I attached the gscript log file here.
Please get back to us soon :) thanks!

I am on Kaos froyo v39
rooted eris

This is my first post, long time lurker. :D

Attachments

• logfile.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 0
I am having the same issue as Jon. I get the same message when loading the script "your phone is reported to be a:"
I also did the Terminal emulator command you told jon to run, and i got the same thing, it says command not found.

I am on Kaos froyo v39
rooted eris

I did remove the "exit 1" line in the script (i have no patience, bad habit :D) and it worked! now i have the recovery with no problems.

whats life without taking risks, eh?

Upvote 0

I am on Kaos froyo v39
rooted eris

Ray, first off, welcome! :)

I've got KaosFroyo v34 flashed and am debugging it now... punk.kaos has done some different things with getprop... I see a version in /system/bin/getprop that points to busybox, but I can't (yet) figure-out how to run it (I get an "getprop: applet not found" error).

I might just have to build a new version of the gscript for you guys. I'll tweak one up and test it. Give me a minute or two...

Cheers!

Reactions: rayg350
Upvote 0
I did remove the "exit 1" line in the script (i have no patience, bad habit :D) and it worked! now i have the recovery with no problems.

whats life without taking risks, eh?

Ray,

That's great! (that's what I was going to do...)... Now, sit back and enjoy your newly-revived recovery skillz :D

Jon, do you just want to edit the file (you can do it right in the Gscript Lite app) and try that?

Let me know...

Upvote 0
sure scary if you wouldn't mind doing that for me I'll test out the gscrpit. just tell me what to do and I'll look at it for you. Sorry for the late reply. Was caught up modding new Wii today. I am anxiously waiting to flash a new rom. Been running of Froyo v34 for too long now! Time for a upgrade!

Thanks for all your help.

Upvote 0
sure scary if you wouldn't mind doing that for me I'll test out the gscrpit. just tell me what to do and I'll look at it for you. Sorry for the late reply. Was caught up modding new Wii today. I am anxiously waiting to flash a new rom. Been running of Froyo v34 for too long now! Time for a upgrade!

Thanks for all your help.

Just start-up Gscript Lite, long-press the gscript-sa name, select Edit, and remove the "exit 1" line from the code:

Code:
# make sure this gets used only for the Eris
#
if [[ ${_RO_BLD_PROD} != "${_PHONE_MODEL}" ]]; then
  echo "Error: this script is meant for the HTC Droid Eris (${_PHONE_MODEL});"
  echo "your phone is reported to be a: ${_RO_BLD_PROD}"
  [COLOR=red]exit 1[/COLOR]                [COLOR=red][B]<<<< remove this line[/B][/COLOR]
fi
Press the "Save" button and resume following the directions.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Just start-up Gscript Lite, long-press the gscript-sa name, select Edit, and remove the "exit 1" line from the code:

Code:
# make sure this gets used only for the Eris
#
if [[ ${_RO_BLD_PROD} != "${_PHONE_MODEL}" ]]; then
  echo "Error: this script is meant for the HTC Droid Eris (${_PHONE_MODEL});"
  echo "your phone is reported to be a: ${_RO_BLD_PROD}"
  [COLOR=red]exit 1[/COLOR]                [COLOR=red][B]<<<< remove this line[/B][/COLOR]
fi
Press the "Save" button and resume following the directions.

Good luck!

Okay I think it's working but it's saying that I'm "OUT OF MEMORY". Do I just have to remove some apps or something? to clear out some memory?

Reactions: blackbrolly
Upvote 0
Okay I think it's working but it's saying that I'm "OUT OF MEMORY". Do I just have to remove some apps or something? to clear out some memory?

Well, I am not exactly sure, but another member reported the same thing (see starting at this post http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...ery-trackball-not-required-2.html#post2068117). Not exactly sure how they fixed it, but it sounded like a process issue.

Should not have to delete anything...you might just try re-doing the steps again, just to be sure (and perhaps a fresh reboot wouldn't hurt either, but I don't have any real evidence for this).

Upvote 0
Hurray! You're the man! I got it to work! Removing the exit 1 line fixed everything. Just one more question, when I go to flash a new rom Do I have to run the new gsscrpit every time after I flash over a new rom?

Oh, no. Now that you have a trackball-optional custom recovery, you are good-to-go.

Just follow these basic steps when flashing a new ROM:

1. Make sure you have a good (100% preferred) charge on your phone

2. Boot into your shiny-new custom recovery

3. Make a Nandroid backup of your current setup (Backup/Restore, Nand backup, ...)

4. Before flashing a new ROM, do your wipes as required (Wipe, Wipe Data/factory reset; you might also want to do a Wipe Dalvik-cache just in case you are switching between Froyo and non-Froyo ROMs--doesn't hurt to always do this)

5. Return to main menu (couple of volume-down presses) and select "Flash from sdcard" and flash your ROM

6. Return to main menu and "Reboot system now" and enjoy your new ROM

This post http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html#post1186824 in erisuser1's thread is an excellent guide with images to further elaborate.

Be sure to read all of the developers notes in the ROM thread for any special installation instructions or gotchas.

Good luck!

Reactions: jonmchugh
Upvote 0
Oh, no. Now that you have a trackball-optional custom recovery, you are good-to-go.

Just follow these basic steps when flashing a new ROM:

1. Make sure you have a good (100% preferred) charge on your phone

2. Boot into your shiny-new custom recovery

3. Make a Nandroid backup of your current setup (Backup/Restore, Nand backup, ...)

4. Before flashing a new ROM, do your wipes as required (Wipe, Wipe Data/factory reset; you might also want to do a Wipe Dalvik-cache just in case you are switching between Froyo and non-Froyo ROMs--doesn't hurt to always do this)

5. Return to main menu (couple of volume-down presses) and select "Flash from sdcard" and flash your ROM

6. Return to main menu and "Reboot system now" and enjoy your new ROM

This post http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html#post1186824 in erisuser1's thread is an excellent guide with images to further elaborate.

Be sure to read all of the developers notes in the ROM thread for any special installation instructions or gotchas.

Good luck!

Thank you very much!! You are a lifesaver. I have been stock on Froyo 34 for a few months now because of the darn track ball! Now I gotta figure out which rom to use! Out of these 2 which do you recommend?

[GPL] Tazz Froyo vanilla v26 6.2 rc1/ 1/5/11 /miui music/blackened 2 - xda-developers - Tazz Froyo vanilla v26

[ROM]{1/4} FroShedYo VANILLA [CM6.2-RC1]Blue|Red|Purple|Elegant|Pink][CPUBoost] - xda-developers - FroShedYo VANILLA

I'm thinking about the FroShedYo VANILLAit just looks sweet! Although the music player on the tazz froyo looks nice too!

Upvote 0
Thank you very much!! You are a lifesaver. I have been stock on Froyo 34 for a few months now because of the darn track ball! Now I gotta figure out which rom to use! Out of these 2 which do you recommend?

[GPL] Tazz Froyo vanilla v26 6.2 rc1/ 1/5/11 /miui music/blackened 2 - xda-developers - Tazz Froyo vanilla v26

[ROM]{1/4} FroShedYo VANILLA [CM6.2-RC1]Blue|Red|Purple|Elegant|Pink][CPUBoost] - xda-developers - FroShedYo VANILLA

I'm thinking about the FroShedYo VANILLAit just looks sweet! Although the music player on the tazz froyo looks nice too!

lol...well, the KaosFroyo ROM I flashed for you last night was only the second Froyo ROM that I've played with :eek: -- I'm a stock Sense guy, so I really have no experience with the Froyo ROMs. But now that you can make backups and restore if you need to, you can try 'em all out at your liesure ;).

There's been some recent (and not-so-recent) threads about the best Froyo ROM, so you might be best served by taking a peek at other folk's opinions.

Good luck and cheers!

Upvote 0
One more thing, I have a couple paid apps on my phone that I use all the time like ESPN radio. How do I back up the apps that i use so i can just re install them after I install the new rom that I decide to go with?

The app Titanium Backup makes it very easy to backup and restore user apps, though the paid version is better at restore - it can do it without having to confirm each app. That said, since you are coming from Kaos, any other Froyo ROM for the Eris will automatically reinstall all of your apps with the first sync after setting up your Google account on the first boot. (Note that your phone will be laggy while this happens.) So, you don't really need to use Titanium, and, second, the first visit to the Market's downloads tab will always show you the apps that you had installed previously - and purchased apps will always show up there, even if you uninstall them.

Upvote 0
This is a little strange... The script utilitizes a safety mechanism that I shamelessly copied from eriuser1's "Universal Root for Dummies!" gscript.

I did that only because I knew my shell script was targeted at a single execution environment - the command shell of Amon_RA's recovery. In general, shell scripts that rely on external commands suffer from portability problems once the commands (or even their argument list!) start to get a little obscure.

The shell in the Amon_RA recovery is a little bit unique - it recognizes many commands which would normally be standalone programs in most Unix/Linux environments as "built-ins". (See for yourself - you can do a "cp" or a "grep" in an Amon_RA root shell, but you won't find those programs or busybox anywhere in the booted filesystem.)

About the only thing you can do is have your script check for the existence of the things it needs when it starts up, and then fail gracefully if they are not present - messy business.

eu1

Upvote 0
I did that only because I knew my shell script was targeted at a single execution environment - the command shell of Amon_RA's recovery. In general, shell scripts that rely on external commands suffer from portability problems once the commands (or even their argument list!) start to get a little obscure.

The shell in the Amon_RA recovery is a little bit unique - it recognizes many commands which would normally be standalone programs in most Unix/Linux environments as "built-ins". (See for yourself - you can do a "cp" or a "grep" in an Amon_RA root shell, but you won't find those programs or busybox anywhere in the booted filesystem.)

About the only thing you can do is have your script check for the existence of the things it needs when it starts up, and then fail gracefully if they are not present - messy business.

eu1

Thank you again for paving the way with the scripts that you wrote that I heavily borrowed against.

My thinking was to keep non-Eris folks (i.e., like a few Hero users we've seen) from trying to install the wrong recovery.

I did think it was a bit odd that punk.kaos included a link for /system/bin/getprop that pointed to busybox which doesn't actually work ("applet not found" error)--although this might simply be his implementation of someone else's setup too.

We can only do so much handholding though, eh? ;) :D

Upvote 0
We like it when you hold our hand, Scary. We're not afraid to take those big leaps knowing your behind a monitor somewhere watching over us.:)

lol, bobcat! I feel the same way about erisuser1, doogald, Frisco, mhotovec, OfTheDamned, pkopalek, cableguynoe, xx_bishop_xx -- to name just a very few.

There's countless others that have helped me and have helped others and have done so with humor, knowledge (of course), and courtesy. That's the reason I still hang-out here at AF--all of the great members of this forum and they way they treat each other.

Cheers!

Reactions: Podivin and doogald
Upvote 0
lol, bobcat! I feel the same way about erisuser1, doogald, Frisco, mhotovec, OfTheDamned, pkopalek, cableguynoe, xx_bishop_xx -- to name just a very few.

There's countless others that have helped me and have helped others and have done so with humor, knowledge (of course), and courtesy. That's the reason I still hang-out here at AF--all of the great members of this forum and they way they treat each other.

Cheers!

I totally agree. I didn't want to leave any of the fine people out but I sent that from my phone and it took me forever to type that much.:) The little keypad on this little phone wasn't designed for my fingers.:eek: I did give a shout out to all the good people that help us out (My Little Eris).:)

Upvote 0
Scary I'm a little confused. I used the dummies methed and my trackball works. Maybe this question has been answered and I didn't read far enough. Which one do I use or do I need to do this now?

This is fine for anybody, but I would not change out what you have if your trackball works. There are people who have rooted Erises that cannot control the "regular" Amon's Recovery with their trackball (I believe that Erisuser1 determined that it happened to Erises using a specific bootloader version, but I may be remembering something else), and this replacement Recovery will give them the ability to control the items and menus in Recovery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones