Amtrak trip to Cleveland,OH

Last Updated:

1. Skyroket

Skyroket Well-Known Member

I'd like to take a trip to Cleveland, OH from NYC on Amtrak. I just thought it would be nice to see Pennsylvania and take pictures with dSLR. I'm planing to take a trip in October when Autumn will be in all its glory. So anybody traveled on Amtrak? i just don't know anybody who did.

2. Prinny

Prinny Resident Linux Nutcase

I did about 16 years ago. I traveled to Florida from New Jersey. I was too young to have a DSLR or anything, but I do remember the scenery was beautiful.
  3. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

I did last year. Cincinnati to NYC, the trip was great but the train was 6+ hours late picking us up. It was dark for most of the trip and we didn't get into NYC till 4am.

They did give me a 350 credit though (still haven't used it though)

My advice, get the biggest room available, it's a 18+ hour ride
  4. 18+?
    My, my!
    It was that kind of a trip, eh? :D
    Wow, AmTrak really IS hot!
  5. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

Amtrak, Cleveland, sounds like two things to avoid lol.
  6. NightAngel79

I had the smaller room with beds and while cramped, it really was an enjoyable trip.

Walking out of Grand Central in NYC at 4am was.... interesting though
  7. Skyroket

well i'm not going to Cincinnati lol! going to Cleveland it's an 8 hour trip.
  8. NightAngel79

Only 8 hours? Wow, figured it wouldn't be THAT much different.

I been wanting to go again

Edit: just double checked. Amtrak lists it as a 12 hour trip :p
  9. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

All the time. Primarily between SLC and Las Vegas. Too bad the route is no more. I will likely take the train back east. A nice, slow train trip.

I do remember the trips I took with my parents on the trains. I especially like the space between cars. Not sure why, though. As you passed between cars, this little connector was noisy and it shook. Too bad Amtrak is "improved." No more of that I suppose.

I do recall seeing stereo pictures of a few private rail cars. What a grand way to travel. The last time I checked, it was possible to pull a private car. You must have road worthy mechanicals; wheels and brakes and such.

But that was some time ago and perhaps the only place to see a truly grand private coach is on a rail side next to a musem.

What a way to travel.

Trains are very special so go ride a train. All Aboard . . .

Choo choo choo
  10. Skyroket

Yeah you're right its a 12 hour trip... 8 hour if you drive. For some reason 8 hour stuck in my head
    NightAngel79 likes this.
  11. Skyroket

Yeah trains are cool! Can you imagine being on the train for 7 days? I once did :D
  12. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Friend of mine spent 13 days on a train, London to Beijing, because he doesn't like aeroplanes much.
  13. NightHawk877

NightHawk877 Well-Known Member

I'm taking the Amtrak from San Antonio to Austin to meet with some friends there to go to the US Grand Prix. I have never taken the train before.